Jail sentence for dealer

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

berlin1945

Jail sentence for dealer

Post by berlin1945 »

Jail sentence for dealer from portadown that was selling de-act's with a working magazine,
Last edited by berlin1945 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
SchnellMeyer

Re: Jail sentence for dealer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Just to clear up a point about collectors/reenactors bringing deact weapons into The Republic of Ireland . You do not have to be an approved dealer to get such items legally into Southern Ireland . What you need to do is visit your local police ( Garda ) station and speak to their firearms officer there and give him/her all the details of the weapon you wish to import plus a copy of the deact cert . They will then process your request and if you "check" out they will give you permission to hold this weapon on a licence . You must then contact the Department of Justice and get a import licence from them to import the weapon into the country , these forms can be downloaded from the Department of Justice website , or you can ring them and they will tell you exactly what to do .
It's not rocket science but it is important to do things the right way when importing any firearms into The Republic of Ireland. Like I said the Garda and officials from the Department of Justice are there to help you .
Laws in N.Ireland are different to ours but at the end of the day we must all stay within the law no matter where we live.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

:arrow:
Last edited by berlin1945 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

People selling deact weapons into the Republic of Ireland from another country have no problems as the onus is on the person importing the weapon .
If you live in the Republic and are buying from a licenced dealer here then you will not need a import licence from the Department of Justice just permission from the local Garda Superintendent .
As for people visiting the Republic of Ireland from other Countries and N. Ireland who wish to bring their deact weapons to shows they must get permission to do so from the proper authorities .
I cannot comment on the laws of N.Ireland as I do not live there but I do know the laws in the Republic of Ireland as I have imported many weapons since my first one back in the 1980's .

re-enactment group
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

sheesh it's a minefield! better start making wooden guns, guys!
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Last edited by berlin1945 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

The laws in the Republic of Ireland have not changed , the conditions in importing a deact weapon are the same , first contact the Police ( Garda) , if successful then contact the Department of Justice for the import licence .
Back in the 1980's when there was alot of subversive activity one could still legally import a deact weapons as long as you followed the correct steps .
My post only concerns the Republic of Ireland as I am well aware of the gun laws here .

re-enactment group
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

:arrow: .
Last edited by berlin1945 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

I do not want to make this topic a tit for tat posting but there are mistakes in your " facts" Berlin1945 . It is wrong to say " even main gun dealers in the UK don't sell this says it all " , this is untrue as our club has bought several weapons from dealers in the UK with no problems at all .
Secondly , you MUST first get the Garda permission/consent to hold the weapon before you apply to the Department of Justice . If you apply first for a import licence and bring in the weapon there is no guarantee that the Garda will give you permission to hold the weapon , then you will have no choice but to return the item from where it came from . All these points are clearly laid out by the Gardai and Dept of Justice .
Just out of interest Berlin1945 have you ever imported a weapon into the Republic of Ireland ?
I have imported , a Pak 38 , a Flak 38 and several weapons and each time it's the same drill with the Garda and Department of Justice , surely this speaks for itself .
If anybody from the Republic of Ireland wants help or advice on how to import deact weapons legally please feel free to PM me . I do not want this post to be putting genuine people off enjoying the hobby over here . :D

re-enactment group
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

My goodness. How ridiculous. I am not saying that to any of you but my goodness to your laws! I didn't even know they were that goofy with deacts! It must be an act of parliament to let you actually own a real gun then. :?

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner
Mattias Sieger

Post by Mattias Sieger »

Here you have to import deact weapons as firing. Then they have to be cut in 2 pieces lengthwise, except the stock. Then you have to get a dispensation from the justice department, and they are not easy to get...!
Mattias "Sieger" Sidelmann
2.Gruppe
Regimentet
http://www.reenactors.dk
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Sam , it's not hard to get deact weapons legally in The Republic of Ireland , one just has to following the guide lines and there is no problem . I own a G43 and K98 live firers and shoot them almost every week , I had no problems importing them or getting licences from the Police .
I think this thread was a little confusing in the start as the laws in The Republic of Ireland are different to N.Ireland .

re-enactment group
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Last edited by berlin1945 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Last edited by berlin1945 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

The letter that Berlin1945 has posted was sent to the M.V.C.I. ( Military Vehicle Club of Ireland ) last year by the Department of Justice as I too got a copy .
All this letter does is clearly state what is required if you want to own a deact weapon in the Republic of Ireland . This I have also stated in my previous posts . there is nothing in this letter that says you cannot buy a weapon from the UK , either from a dealer or a private sale . I am posting a copy of the application form that you need to fill out when importing either a live or deact weapon into the Irish Republic , as you can see it clearly states either a dealer or individual that you are buying the weapon from .
As I have imported several weapons into the Republic of Ireland over the last 25 years or so I think I am pretty up to date with the law and have NEVER has a problem with any of my applications .
Should any person over here wish to import a deact weapon then the best thing to do is ring the Firearms Section of the Dept. of Justice and they will help you out .
We could go on posting here forever and some of these posts will only confuse people .
Bottom line , do it the right way and one will have no problems getting a weapon from any EU country . :D
Attachments
FirearmImport.JPG
FirearmImport.JPG (123.74 KiB) Viewed 5614 times

re-enactment group

Return to “General”