I do not wear a cufftitle

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Bill Medland

I do not wear a cufftitle

Post by Bill Medland »

Why must every Waffen-SS impression include a cufftitle?

50% of Waffen-SS soldiers did not have a cufftitle, many units did not have one.

I have burned my "Florian Geyer" cufftitle ( for reasons I do not wish to go into on a forum).
The result of it is that I now do not wear a cufftitle on my tunic, this will allow me to fit in
with every unit, in Germany and England that I may display with.

I had the idea from this picture yesterday evening..............

SS-Schutze Lemmen from Krefeld, November 1944
(A late friend from the HiAG days)

I understand why reenactors wear cufftitles, it gives a sense of belonging to a group etc,
I just wanted to make it obvious that not all W-SS soldiers were issued with them.

Cheers, Bill.
GraemeMac

Re: I do not wear a cufftitle

Post by GraemeMac »

I don't wear a cuff title. It lets me fit in with any group or unit I may end up working with be it at private battles or shows.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
RodShack

Post by RodShack »

Bill - interesting picture.

Is this guy wearing FJ boots? They seem very high to be the high ankle boots.

All the best with your impression sir.
Rod Shack

Obgfr - http://www.561zbv.co.uk
Private - The Diggers LHG - http://thediggerslhg.co.uk
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

I see what you mean about the boots Rod, I never gave it much thought before.
I just thought he had big feet. There are no clues on the reverse of the picture,
indeed, Mr Lemmen never talked much, it was mostly his wife that I had contact to.
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

GraemeMac wrote:I don't wear a cuff title. It lets me fit in with any group or unit I may end up working with be it at private battles or shows.
Exactly the view that I have come to.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I dont wear SS kit very often, 4 or 5 times in 10 years perhaps. I've never owned an SS cuff title.
Ewald Koch

Post by Ewald Koch »

Willi Klapptisch wrote:Why must every Waffen-SS impression include a cufftitle?
I don't know; in our unit Michael Gaissmair cuff-titles are for ceremonial use only in walking-out dress and we do mostly patrols and training so not much use for ceremonial wear..

SS-Gebirgs-Division "Nord" never got a cuff-title of its own and its two Gebirgsjäger-Regiments got their cuff titles in 1944.
"Meine Ehre heißt Treue"

SS-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 12
"Michael Gaißmair" re-enactors

Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Rather coincidentally, not every Heer soldier who served in Afrika wore the 'Afrikakorps' cuff title, either. Many photos show this as not being on the cuffs.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

wolfsangel

Post by wolfsangel »

I recently badged a HBT tunic as SS which basically involved me adding a sleeve eagle and nothing else.

I have read that SS insignia were expected to last up to 3 years and they were only to be (in theory) issued 2 cuff titles so it was all kept in pockets/somewhere safe for parade use only
Frontschweine, Regiment 409
POA1944

Post by POA1944 »

Since everyone and their grandmother does Waffen-SS i don't do it as of now.But i have seen plenty of Original Wartime photographs of SS soldaten wearing Cuff titles.And Majority of the units had them.From the germanic units to the Freiwilligen ones.And they are very common as i said in photos.But i 'think' Cuff titles had to be awarded.Not just standard issue.
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.
-Erwin Rommel

Grenadier Erich Kessler

Sta.Kp.Gren.Ers.Btl.199

II./984. Grenadier Regiment 275. Infanterie
Peterth PK

Post by Peterth PK »

why dont wear it, when it was worn and seen on period photos ? but must be correct for period you are portraiting. for example is nonsense to wear TK cuff before 1942... (btw. on 41-42 i wear only SS-KB cuff and horizontal single TK collar tabs as seen on period photo. I also wear Kurt Eggers ct, because it was worn on period photos... but there is still possibility, they sometimes didnt wear any...)
at all i think wearing ss ct is nothing bad... but still is better one group about 10-20 soldaten with same ct, it looks much more better ! of course, this problem is solved when whole Gruppe is wearing Tarnjacken or Dot complets... and no problem for all to look like "HJ", Hohenstaufen, Gotz von Berlichingen... just wear that typical combination...
for me is also CT a sign of proud on your unit. and is representing togetherness with historical unit for a whole group...
and maybe they felt it same in that times ? :wink:
Wort und Bild sind unsere Waffen !
SS-KB Zug "TK" * SS-Stand. Kurt Eggers bei "16. RFSS"
www.sud.estranky.cz

Return to “General”