Tired of reenacting alone? Tired looking for a good unit?

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Germanreprouniforms

Tired of reenacting alone? Tired looking for a good unit?

Post by Germanreprouniforms »

I had to leave my reenactment unit in Germany when I was deployed to the middle east with my unit in the real army. I had plans to come back to Germany but because of a injury it didnt turn out that way.
Now, Im in California trying to look for a unit to belong to, but not having much luck.

I dont see why I cant just start my own unit with other individuals who dont have a home or perhaps have a number of years experience and dont want to start all over at the beginning in rank and your charachter. If this is something that sounds good to you or at least you want to investigate or talk about, send me a email or respond to me here. If I get enough replies then we can start with some more particulars.

Dont be disheartened or give up!! This hobby and passion for reenacting doesnt have to end with your last unit or a move to a different part of the country or from a different part of the world. Theres always a way to fit you in and continue the hobby. Everyone has something to add and when you bring those individuals together you no longer are a individual, you are a unit!

Meine Ehre Heißt Treue!!

Mathias

InMyScopeOIF2005@aol.com
John Wilson

Re: Tired of reenacting alone? Tired looking for a good unit

Post by John Wilson »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Zoepf

Post by Zoepf »

There is alot more to reenacting than the "rank of your character".

I am not trying to be negative or put you down, but I hope you realize how much work goes into forming your own group. It took me three years of very hard work, and way to much money to get my organization off the ground. I couldn't have imagined how much work I would have had to put in. And to be completely honest, the only reason I was successful in creating my own group was because I had about half a dozen of my friends starting it with me. Now we have over 20 men, and every single person brings a unique aspect to the organization. Forming your own unit is not something you can do alone. You need a group to have a group, just please for the love of God, don't be "that guy" you know the one, he shows up with one other guy, calls it a unit, dresses as an officer and expects People to respect him. There is nothing worse. You should never dress as an officer unless you are fielding at least 20 men. If you're not it's just stupid.

I would suggest you find an organization in your area, especially if you are new to the area. There are alot of top notch units in your area you could join, so why not do that? Who cares how many pips you have on your collar tabs or how many medals you have on your tit, because they don't matter and THEY AREN'T REAL! This hobby needs larger groups, less individuals.

Now I will say this, if you are bound and determined to start your own unit, expect for it to interfere with your life in big ways. It is a huge commitment and alot of work and if you aren't 100% dedicated to making that unit something to be proud of, you will fail and make all reenactors look bad in the process.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you make your own unit, I wish you the best, but do nothing half assed. There is nothing more disappointing to a person who works very hard to put together a great impression, than to see someone make a mockery of what this is all about because he wants to be a colonel with a bunch of medals he bought online for 15$ a piece, whilst the man he is supposed to represent suffered unimaginable horrors to earn them.

Zach
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

Very wll put (more diplomatically than I could be buggered)

Could do with all newbies reading it - and believing it. :!:

And oldies too
Gliderinf / Luftlande
gebirgs soldat

Post by gebirgs soldat »

Mathias.. Where in Calif are you? Still in the active Army or Reserves? My outfit is full of former active duty/reserve soldiers. Many of us were posted to Germany in the 80's & 90's and love to talk about the old country.
We are a growing unit with excellent standards.
Check us out at
http://www.worldwar2reenactors.com/GEBI ... Rhome.html

Berg Heil... WALT
"Alte Soldaten Sterben Nicht" - "Old Soldiers Never Die"

Walter Ritter
4te Kompanie, 98th GJR
California Historical Group (CHG)
L.A., California
wolff

Post by wolff »

Hi. I just left Ft. Irwin Ca. to come to Germany, played with a few groups when I could out of Camp Roberts there in CA. i recommend Walt's group, good guys and I still have some contacts with some other groups, just let me know what you prefer. I am looking for a group here in Germany, maybe we can swap some info and help each other out, I know just what you mean its not a "rank" thing you just don't want to be looked at like a noob, I for one always use the rank i have earned for real in the Real Army no one has ever cared and if any one gets butt-hurt that bad I tell them to lose some weight and walk away.
TarawaJon

Post by TarawaJon »

There are several very good German units in the CHG. Check out their website and go from there.
JohnParker

Post by JohnParker »

Zoepf wrote:whilst the man he is supposed to represent suffered unimaginable horrors to earn them.

Zach
Brilliantly put.
Das beste oder nicht...

9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen
Collector-

Post by Collector- »

Germanreprouniforms wrote:
Now, Im in California trying to look for a unit to belong to, but not having much luck.
Did you find anything?
Stosser

Post by Stosser »

To the Original Poster:

If you want to start your own unit, you need to have three cards in hand:

1. You really must have experience reenacting that nation and solid knowledge of the specialty. If you're switching to another "side" (Axis to Allied, or vice versa) don't even try. What you've read about uniforms in books is far different than reality in the field. Glacier goggles on your hat, at night, in the summer, in the desert? Please.

2. Have some experienced reenactors signed-up and tuned-in with you from the get-go. Rounding up newbies and strays after the fact will immediately put you on a downhill slope. Paying your own money for ghost memberships to maintain recognition in the club is even more embarrassing.

3. Don't over-promote yourself. If your German is limited to "Ich spreche Deutsch. Meine Frau ist Deutsch.", don't claim to speak German. Similarly, if your real knowledge of airborne comes from being an Air Force weather clerk watching a 509th demo jump in Germany, don't claim to be the Fallschirmjager ubermensch.

I hope this helps you in your future reenacting endeavors!
Objr. Ernst Stosser
Stab./GJR.100
US Rangers
California Historical Group
Stosser

Post by Stosser »

gebirgs soldat wrote:Mathias.. Where in Calif are you? Still in the active Army or Reserves? My outfit is full of former active duty/reserve soldiers. Many of us were posted to Germany in the 80's & 90's and love to talk about the old country.
We are a growing unit with excellent standards.
Check us out at
http://www.worldwar2reenactors.com/GEBI ... Rhome.html

Berg Heil... WALT
Who are these "my outfit is full of former active duty/reserve soldiers"; "posted to Germany in the 80's and 90's" guys you speak of Walt? I'd like to meet them at the next event. I've only seen you and Spencer (a non-vet for sure) at events in the last two years. I spent almost half of my 26 years in USAREUR and would really like to touch base with others. Who are they?
Last edited by Stosser on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Objr. Ernst Stosser
Stab./GJR.100
US Rangers
California Historical Group
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Germanreprouniforms wrote:I had to leave my reenactment unit in Germany when I was deployed to the middle east with my unit in the real army. I had plans to come back to Germany but because of a injury it didnt turn out that way.

I dont see why I cant just start my own unit with other individuals who dont have a home or perhaps have a number of years experience and dont want to start all over at the beginning in rank and your charachter. If this is something that sounds good to you or at least you want to investigate or talk about, send me a email or respond to me here. If I get enough replies then we can start with some more particulars.

Dont be disheartened or give up!! This hobby and passion for reenacting doesnt have to end with your last unit or a move to a different part of the country or from a different part of the world. Theres always a way to fit you in and continue the hobby. Everyone has something to add and when you bring those individuals together you no longer are a individual, you are a unit!

Meine Ehre Heißt Treue!!

Mathias

InMyScopeOIF2005@aol.com
If you find some good one let me know please ! As I'm tired to do reenacting with unit !!! :evil: had enough :(
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau

Return to “General”