rank system

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

gdfuseddie

Re: rank system

Post by gdfuseddie »

Hauser wrote:Giving promotion on merit is good idea, but also previous qualifications need to be looked at, unique skills in a group need rewarding,
Only if those skills are put to use within the group and for the benefit of the group.

The advantage of being in a big group is that everyone does get a chance of command. We have squad leaders and well as the unit command, but the lower ranks all get a chance to be in charge of a sub-unit, such as mortar team or MG team. Also, if a squad leader isn't at an event, his 2IC steps in as commander.

It all comes down to knowing your stuff and putting the effort in. If you get the knowledge and aquire the kit, the rewards should come. But you can't keep promoting everyone.

As for the idea of rotating the ranks, that is ok if everyone wants to rotate the work in running the group as well. But in my experience most people just want the rank and the bling and not the work that goes with it. Remember that someone will have to organise the rotation as well to make it all fair.
Wachtmeister Scharnhorst, Pz.Aufkl.Abt.GD

Imitation is the best form of flattery.
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Hi can i ask who is the person who gives out the ranks in your group ? thanks Rich

ps.... meaning is it a single man or do you have a committee or some sort of group ??
AFRA member
gdfuseddie

Post by gdfuseddie »

We have 4 main guys who basically run the group and we discuss it amongst ourselves before making a descision. We identify between us who seems to be the shining stars putting in the effort, who has leadership qualities and their attendance. Basically - who deserves it the most.
Wachtmeister Scharnhorst, Pz.Aufkl.Abt.GD

Imitation is the best form of flattery.
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

sounds like a good system ! but most of all if it works for your group ...that's all that matters :D
AFRA member
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

In my experience the subject of promotions and awards within groups is always a prickly one. There are always those, usually the least deserving, who will make demands and then sulk if they don't get what they want.

To me it's about the enjoyment of belonging to a good group and the crack at attending events, but a number of re-enactors just want to wear lots of bling.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

dagda

Post by dagda »

When you run a group its fucking hard. And thats the only advice Id give to anyone thinking of starting thier own. yeah ive the feldwebel tresse blah blah, but you cant chill the same way as the rest of the boys if you are the main bod, it doent happen, my tuppence worth.
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

While more or less on the topic...about the officers...

Why is it in most cases that it's the general idea that it's only the older guys that can be the officers. I agree with the higher officer ranks being reserved for the older men, but Leutnant and Oberleutnant...I could probably spend all day copying and pasting pictures here of Junior German officers that look like teens. OK, not as often seen in the SS, but in the Wehrmacht, especially pre and early war...a lot of the junior officers were really that....juniors (I'm really talking about 20-22 here, not 18/19) coming from aristocratic families and fresh from officers school. I agree most youths these days don't have it in them to act the role, but for those who can, by all means, put on the brreches! It really comes down to leadership skills and comittement to the club that should determine ones position in the club. I've seen 30 to 40 year olds act like kids and really make a poor show of the uniform while a 15 year old acting as HJ showed more maturity.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54

Return to “General”