alternative source for (german) ww2 tents

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Feldjager

Re: alternative source for (german) ww2 tents

Post by Feldjager »

Thanks - the dysentery is clearing up nicely!
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

koobleguy wrote:
Yuri wrote:Thats Our reproduction of Grosse Truppenzelt. Many thanks to Feldjager and Patrick for info input :wink:
Hi Yuri,

is your tent also from the tentsmiths?

@ Feldjager: do you also have approx. size & weight of the Gebirgstruppenzelt packed?

because that would also be a criteria which one to choose, thanks
With poles, pegs and ropes the original is about 45kg. Folds up to about 2'6" x 18"x 8"

LHA members
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

koobleguy wrote:...Hi Yuri,

is your tent also from the tentsmiths?...
Nope. Made in Poland according to measurments and photos Ive send.
War, war never changes...

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

Yuri wrote:
koobleguy wrote:...Hi Yuri,

is your tent also from the tentsmiths?...
Nope. Made in Poland according to measurments and photos Ive send.
and are you happy with the quality & workmanship?
already had some heavy weather with it? how did it work out?

cheaper than the tentsmiths I guess?
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Get youself 12 Italian cammo squares and some 2x2!! Works for me and you an stand up in it all the way round. :D
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

Sturmschar wrote:Get youself 12 Italian cammo squares and some 2x2!! Works for me and you an stand up in it all the way round. :D
well then, :wink: some questions:

1. some pics ?
2. 12 original pre45 camo squares? ain't that cheap either
no problems with the buttoning only in heavy weather? no water coming through?
+ I don't want to expose original & old pre45 fabric to sun & weather, if that one is built up
for a week with sun exposure like the last weeks here,.... not that good from my point of view
3. sorry, but what's a "2x2"?!?!
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

koobleguy wrote:
Sturmschar wrote:Get youself 12 Italian cammo squares and some 2x2!! Works for me and you an stand up in it all the way round. :D
well then, :wink: some questions:

1. some pics ?
2. 12 original pre45 camo squares? ain't that cheap either
no problems with the buttoning only in heavy weather? no water coming through?
+ I don't want to expose original & old pre45 fabric to sun & weather, if that one is built up
for a week with sun exposure like the last weeks here,.... not that good from my point of view
3. sorry, but what's a "2x2"?!?!
2x2 = wood size

I did make a cock up on my last post myself asking for currency conversion,
mind you thought i'd better ask these days the way the pound is going?? lol

Use some fivers for your dysentary Feldjager ? :lol: :lol:

Pipes
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

There you go thats my baby next to the Panther and a rather nice shot of KitKat dying quietly :twisted:
Three hundred quid or there abouts - but why get precious about it I mean either use it or put it in a museum, I dont restore german vehicles to keep them in aspic, I do it because I want to use them!!!!
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Sorry i forgot - you leave them buttoned - why undo them? My example has done 4yrs withstood horrible weather and not leaked, but then I waterproof it every year :D
JDR

Post by JDR »

I got myself the other month 4 more zelts off this forum now i have an eight man zelt. best bit of kit ive got.
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

koobleguy wrote:...and are you happy with the quality & workmanship?

Yep - a lot cheaper. Ive considered earlier buying from Tentsmiths but tent with poles with TAX and with P&P to Poland costs more than 2-3 tents made in here. Ive just searched company which made historical tents, mailed them some info and photos and asked a price. It costs us some 1100$ total.

EDIT: Almost forgot. As for waterproof material at latest event in night we got very heavy rain and windy weather but there wasnt even one drop of water - so Im very happy about quality.
War, war never changes...

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Yuri wrote:

Yep - a lot cheaper. Ive considered earlier buying from Tentsmiths but tent with poles with TAX and with P&P to Poland costs more than 2-3 tents made in here. Ive just searched company which made historical tents, mailed them some info and photos and asked a price. It costs us some 1100$ total.

EDIT: Almost forgot. As for waterproof material at latest event in night we got very heavy rain and windy weather but there wasnt even one drop of water - so Im very happy about quality.
Cheers Yuri :D
Thats the reason im dubious about the US Company "Tentsmiths" because of the hidden extra charges!!!

Peiper :wink:
gasmask

Post by gasmask »

Peiper wrote:
Yuri wrote:

Cheers Yuri :D
Thats the reason im dubious about the US Company "Tentsmiths" because of the hidden extra charges!!!

Peiper :wink:
I have had a large grey staff tent from Tentsmiths for about 15 months.
Yes it was expensive, close on £800 with shipping and the robbing pirates from UK customs £76. This is without poles and ropes, but I ordered them from Pathfinders, in fact I would have ordered the whole lot from Pathfinders if they had made a grey tent.
And while it does take them a while to reply to e-mails, they were very helpful also there weren’t any hidden costs, you get the price including shipping and that is what you pay.
The only down side, they did not or didn’t have a secure payment page on their website, I had to pay with credit card via e-mail, but it was no problem.
The tent is excellent quantity, friendly service from a family run business, so good in fact for me to link them to our website.
Unteroffizier Erich Weisser

Das Heer

http://www.dasheer.org https://www.facebook.com/dasheer27
Pathfinder Jack

Post by Pathfinder Jack »

Morning all,

Just getting back up to speed on life/stuff/forums and emails - just opened up our emails again and have over 3000 there :cry:

But an interesting thread and great feedback and I thought I would bring you all up to speed.

After the car crash that just happened to me and Pathfinder and I am back. Totally restructured and slicker. I have found it fasinating to work on the German tent project as the US tent market is completely different and hell of a challange. Mainly because, historically, US tentage has been available for many years - if you bear in mind that an awful lot of original tents where still in use long after the war by various nations - or deriviatives of the originals.

The German tentage as we all know didn't have that luxury - so I have had to start from the begining, from the ground up and Dave Pages help has been a massive help and a font of knowledge. To research and develope these tents isn't easy and takes around a year to nail and can cost up £15,000 from start to finish until we go into production.

But now, as I am working with a new supplier it is important that you have your imput to your hobby and tell me what colour tents you want. I agree that there is no point in producing a colour that people like the look of but in actual fact is Farb - we are all defeating the objective here if we were to do that.

The tan tent we went for was taken directly from Daves original so we are safe with that. But we have to bear in mind that there original colour is subject to many factors that change its shade - its age for one thing, how often it was used, exposure to the sun and rain, how it was stored, how it was maintained and waterproofed - to name just a few. Even within the dying process canvas will come out a different colour - the first tent will come out a differenr shade than the last so there are varibles. Which, in my mind makes it perfect because this is how it would of been during the war.

So now we can start with a blank canvas (no pun intended) and you can tell me what is needed as we are here to produce a top end product that YOU want.

So please do let me know.

My kind regards,

Jack.
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

Good to hear you are back, Jack!

I think you've got a good size range with the smaller mountain troops tent and the staff tent - is there a need/demand for a larger tent? There are numerous options (and originals available on request...) if this was a direction you'd like to explore.

Dave

LHA members

Return to “General”