MERCATOR pocket knife

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
feldman

MERCATOR pocket knife

Post by feldman »

Looking for a pocket knife to your German impression ? MERCATOR is still being made. Got mine from Germany today. Good quality and very sharp :)

http://www.otter-messer.de/index.php/ca ... Knife.html
Retired & Armed
Peiper

Re: MERCATOR pocket knife

Post by Peiper »

Good find, not keen on the colour though !!

Pipes :)
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

That's very nice! How much are they and where to buy them?
CDB taking it way too serious!
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

An old Solingen firm,founded in 1856.Heinrich Kaufmann Indiawerk(1916)Heinrich Kaufmann & Sohne Indiawerk KG.(1972),MERCATOR is just one of its commercial trade marks,address Solingen,Gasstrasse 6-18.(pre-war,but probably the same).John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
hansritter

Post by hansritter »

Feldgendarmerie Hauptfeldwebel Johann Ritter.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Ive seen originals of this type :wink:
Mercator KATZ.jpg
Mercator KATZ.jpg (10.99 KiB) Viewed 10112 times
feldman

Post by feldman »

Retired & Armed
jonnypunk

Post by jonnypunk »

Great pocket knife! good choice.
8)
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a defensive spray.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

The 'klein' is the only one close to legal in the UK. The K55K is not UK legal because of its blade length and the fact it locks open.
Not so much a problem within the hobby but don't carry one with you in the street or try to import one unless you really like taking risks with your freedom.
Botty

Post by Botty »

The 'klein' is the only one close to legal in the UK. The K55K is not UK legal because of its blade length and the fact it locks open.
Not so much a problem within the hobby but don't carry one with you in the street or try to import one unless you really like taking risks with your freedom.
As I found out when my original wartime one I have owned for 15+ years was confiscated for destruction when trying to leave the country for an event in France. I wasn't even carrying it on my person, it was in my luggage deep in my camp cooking equipment.

Handed over while all the caravans sailed past with carving knives etc. aboard :roll: This country really is OTT.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
feldman

Post by feldman »

Tragic.. :(

I have mine in my pocket all the time, in my private life.
Retired & Armed
dagda

Post by dagda »

I carry a knife in my work, Im a gardener, therefore I have a good reason for having one on my person, going on the piss I do not have a knife on my person. Really ffs, the law in the UK and Ireland is quite straight forward on this.
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Botty

Post by Botty »

Really ffs, the law in the UK and Ireland is quite straight forward on this.
Exactly. I don't carry a knife on my person, it was in my luggage ready for food preparation/eating with all the other cooking gear. I only ever bought it out of the house for events or to take camping. Thus having a good reason for possession.

Looks like I will have to carry one of my kitchen knives to events/camping in future. Thus having a bigger, more dangerous knife than a small pocket-knife!
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

I managed to find a 1944 dated British issue jack-knife
from a junk shop some years ago, it folds up has a small blade
and has a bottle/tin opener which comes in handy lol, so in
German portrayment i class it under a "captured item" :)

Pipes
Botty

Post by Botty »

As you can probably understand I was quite miffed by this so have taken the trouble to take advice.

If you wish to carry a knife as an everyday item for no particular reason than you might need it sometime then yes this needs to be a folding knife that does not lock and where the sharpened part of the blade is no longer than 3 inches long.

HOWEVER owning, buying or selling a fixed knife, a knife longer than 3 inches OR a lock knife is NOT illegal (otherwise we would all be carving and eating our Sunday roasts with 3 inch pen knives).

Your can also carry such knives in a public place if you can show good reason. This is what the government web site https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q337.htm says:
It is illegal to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place (with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is less than 7.62 cm (3 inches)).

A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is illegal to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade (if you do not have reasonable excuse). A lock knife means a knife which is similar to a folding knife, in that there is a spring holding the blade closed. However, a lock knife has a mechanism which locks the blade in position when fully extended, the blade cannot be closed without that mechanism being released. A lock knife is not an offensive weapon per se (because these knives were made with a specific purpose in mind and not as a weapon). However, possession of a lock knife in a public place without reasonable excuse is an offence.

Possession of a multi-tool incorporating a prohibited blade/pointed article is capable of being an offence under this section even if there are other tools on the instrument which may be of use to a person in a public place (screwdriver, can opener).

The ban is not total, it is for the person in possession of such an instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that he/she had good reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for example, someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial arts sport or scout meeting (which is easily checked).

The penalty for committing this offence is a maximum prison sentence of four years.

I asked for further clarification from the police and this is the reply:
Mark
There is not a total ban on locking knives in the same way as there is a total ban on flick knives and gravity knives.
It would be a defence for a person having a locking knife or one with a fixed blade to show that they had it for a good reason (such as camping).
The only type of knife which is automatically legal to carry is a folding penknife less than 3 inches.
Having a defence to carrying a knife does not automatically make it legal - you could still be arrested and charged and it would be for you to put your defence before a court and then it would be for the court to decide whether or not you had a good reason and that it was a sufficiently good defence.
It would make no difference whether it was on your person or in your luggage - it is till in your possession.

In your particular case you could have argued the point that you had a defence, however as mentioned above you could have been arrested etc.

Regards,
PNLD (ADT)
I changed the wording to red to highlight bits.

Hopefully other people who find themselves in similar situations will have the knowledge to, politely, argue their case and thus retain their legally held knives. Now I am just waiting to see about the legality of importing one from Germany to replace mine (as I very much doubt I will get my original back despite asking).

Return to “Anything WWII!”