Reproduction Gebirgsjager rucksack at last!

Moderator: les hearn

Sheikh Al Stranghi

Reproduction Gebirgsjager rucksack at last!

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Finally, we have a proper reproduction of the mountain ruck available!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-GERMAN-ARM ... 35c16b0d66

Cheers,

Imme
Gebirgsziege

Re: Reproduction Gebirgsjager rucksack at last!

Post by Gebirgsziege »

Take a look a few posts below. There is a thread I started 6 days ago (20 December) The same link was in my post. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19946

The Chinese made rucksack has been available for about half a year or so. The happier news is that ATF has a supremely better rucksack coming in Spring 2013. 8)
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Ah, missed that. www.re-enactmentshop.com has one coming in a few weeks as well.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Sheikh Al Stranghi wrote:Finally, we have a proper reproduction of the mountain ruck available!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-GERMAN-ARM ... 35c16b0d66

Cheers,

Imme
It looks ok Imme but a bit pricey for a repro, especially when
originals are still floating about for around that figure, I
remember i paid £150 for mine from "Battleflag militaria"
he sttill has them from time to time, you just need to keep
your eyes open, also they crop up on fleabay occassionally
as well
Cheers Peiper
Gebirgsziege

Post by Gebirgsziege »

Yes, original ones can sometimes be found for "around that figure", but typically in what condition?

It is fair to point out that with a quality reproduction such as the example shown by At the Front (ATF) [which is what I will be buying come Spring] you will have to step up your purchasing game and buy a complete and unissued example. One with all straps and hardware present, no corrosion on the metal bits, no tears in the fabric, and no rotten leather anywhere, one that looks...brand new. Comparing apples to apples must be done when weighing prices.

After spending the money [higher than, "around that figure"] it typically requires for a complete and unissed rucksack, would you be willing to take the item out for hard, daily use? I personally don't have the heart to do it.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Gebirgsziege wrote:Yes, original ones can sometimes be found for "around that figure", but typically in what condition?

It is fair to point out that with a quality reproduction such as the example shown by At the Front (ATF) [which is what I will be buying come Spring] you will have to step up your purchasing game and buy a complete and unissued example. One with all straps and hardware present, no corrosion on the metal bits, no tears in the fabric, and no rotten leather anywhere, one that looks...brand new. Comparing apples to apples must be done when weighing prices.

After spending the money [higher than, "around that figure"] it typically requires for a complete and unissed rucksack, would you be willing to take the item out for hard, daily use? I personally don't have the heart to do it.
Yes i see your point, personally i had one for "display purposes" so it didn't get hard wear,
imho there needs to be a repro priced around the £50-£75 mark for combat use, then it wouldn't
matter it getting knocked about, then your original example left on display, that would be ideal
Regards Peiper
Halle

Post by Halle »

The rucksack looks cheaply made and flimsy , the material is incorrect and the leatherwork is thin , amongst other things . Yes , we need a good repro , but you won't get one for £50 - 75 , far better its made properly and accurately and a fair price asked . No one wants to flog their originals up and down mountains in all weathers , but no one wants a piece of cheap c**p on their backs that falls to pieces in five minutes .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Gebirgsziege

Post by Gebirgsziege »

Halle, I agree with your points:
1. Youchunhee's rucksack is undesirable for multiple reasons.
2. 50-75 GBP will rightfully get you something even worse than Youchunhe's product.

In life, I have found that more often than not, I got what I paid for. High quality usually equals longer life, which often equals better value over the life of the item.

I had known about youchunhe's product for about 1/2 a year now, and didn't buy for the what was obviously before me in photographic evidence. I held out fot At the Front and am glad I did. Now, to wait patiently until Spring 2013! :D
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Gebirgsziege wrote:Halle, I agree with your points:
1. Youchunhee's rucksack is undesirable for multiple reasons.
2. 50-75 GBP will rightfully get you something even worse than Youchunhe's product.

In life, I have found that more often than not, I got what I paid for. High quality usually equals longer life, which often equals better value over the life of the item.

I had known about youchunhe's product for about 1/2 a year now, and didn't buy for the what was obviously before me in photographic evidence. I held out fot At the Front and am glad I did. Now, to wait patiently until Spring 2013! :D
Well personally i would rather pay the £150 for an original rather than a repro then at least you
know it is correct, and there are very good original examples for around that figure, you just have
to wait and shop around !!!
Peiper
Halle

Post by Halle »

Pipes , I've paid between £55 and £70 for my last three originals , all been in good condition , one an excellent pre war example . The point is one was wrecked on a weekend climb and had to be extensively repaired , and the other two I'd like to keep for display purposes and for my collection , though they've both been out as well , and are showing signs of wear . It's like someone paying top dollar for an original LAH tunic then charging around the countryside in it on a private battle and getting it badly damaged , you'd be mad to do it - but as a Gebirgsjager reenactor , I don't have much choice ( at the moment ) but to use an original :cry:
Goethe

Post by Goethe »

Cannot justify tearing up originals reenacting/climbing. I got my last two originals (one mint, one good condition) for $90 and $100, but just cannot bring them in the field.

Might have to spring for ATF, or push Gavin to make a good repro one - or encourage the guy who is making them locally to start pumping out more. ATF's looks very promising tho!
Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

If you use an original Gebirgs ruck for what it was intended for ie carrying a crapload of heavy, pointy, sharp and generally unfriendly gear then it is going to blow out on you. Despite the pieces being contain ed in their own bags. 70 year old rough canvas will shit itself if you load it up. And thats if you find a minty one. If you stuff it with a pillow then it will be fine. But you can't climb with a pillow can you? And we are Gebirgs reenactors after all.

A good repro is what is needed but it needs to be of comparable manufacture as an original using quality components and material. To get that these days you are gonna have to spend a fair bit. Thats what I need and I think the ATF will deliver. Bugger the cost.

If you reenact with a pillow then the Chinese copy will do.
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

I've been using originals and so far they've survived my 20-25Kg load, the trick is to pack them correctly so there's not pointy stress points, the thing I worry about is the leather, great stuff, but there's a lot of stress on them, and eventually they snap...so the repro, the GOOD repro, is the way to go I think as no one wants to see a GJ break down and sob, not because he can't deal with a broken bag, but because he ruined a nice piece of history...
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Halle

Post by Halle »

These postings reminded me of ATF's repro - so I had a look , and its still " on the way "...

And you're right Herr Leutnant , it's always the leather work that goes , and generally after repeated " excursions " , though I've only ever had one fail , as you say , it's another piece of history destroyed .

On the face of it , $200 is a good price for the repro , and there's only gonna be one way to see if its up to the task - field trials ! I'd better start saving ... :lol:
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

I think we know how and where to test them Stabsfeldwebel :twisted: and it gives an even better excuse to get out there for some hard core mountaineering ;)
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”