World of Tanks

Martin Webster

World of Tanks

Post by Martin Webster »

Below is a link to a game i found in one of the Tamiya model mags, it is "World of Tanks".
Not really being much of a gamer i found the detail on the tanks to be good, although all German armour appears German Grey, even the late war ones.
Game play is a little basic with the object to either destroy all enemy tanks or capture the flag lol.

I think it is still worth checking out, i have been playing it for about two weeks slowly building up to the larger tanks.

http://game.worldoftanks.com/gallery/perm/video/99

The link above is to one of the videos on the site, what you see is actual game play.
Have a look anyway and see what you think, if you join it keep an eye out for me, i go under the username of Windhund.

Martin
Martin Ernst

Kp.2-PzGren.Rgt.60-116.Pz.Div "Der Windhund"
http://www.windhund.org.uk
The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
(Murphy's Law)
mikebie

Re: World of Tanks

Post by mikebie »

By far the best online tank combat game, imho, is the (free) Darkest Hour mod for Half Life 2. There is a cracking U.S. server run by the Jolly Rogers and it really shows the superiority of German Armour.

http://www.darkesthourgame.com/

Great stuff!
Schnitzel

Post by Schnitzel »

Played World of Tanks some during the beta testing, was nice and fun, but grew stale quite quickly for me. I also prefer the tank combat in Darkest Hour (Which is a free mod for Red Orchestra, not HL2 :P )
It is only a problem if you make it a problem

Member of the Dutch 116th Panzer Division 'Der Windhund' group
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Schnitzel wrote:Played World of Tanks some during the beta testing, was nice and fun, but grew stale quite quickly for me. I also prefer the tank combat in Darkest Hour (Which is a free mod for Red Orchestra, not HL2 :P )
Its pretty good fun, I love playing arty!

It is still a beta. That would explain the grey tanks, basic play and lack of other countries besides Germany & Russia. They assure us that all those things will be in the final release including clans and comunity skins.
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.
Fuhrmann

Post by Fuhrmann »

mikebie wrote:By far the best online tank combat game, imho, is the (free) Darkest Hour mod for Half Life 2. There is a cracking U.S. server run by the Jolly Rogers and it really shows the superiority of German Armour.

http://www.darkesthourgame.com/

Great stuff!
I still prefer Red Orchestra with my angled Tiger I :D It is invincable to those Soviet shells!
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Is this a strictly online game or can one play off line against the computer as well?
Schnitzel

Post by Schnitzel »

barnaclebill wrote:
Schnitzel wrote:Played World of Tanks some during the beta testing, was nice and fun, but grew stale quite quickly for me. I also prefer the tank combat in Darkest Hour (Which is a free mod for Red Orchestra, not HL2 :P )
Its pretty good fun, I love playing arty!

It is still a beta. That would explain the grey tanks, basic play and lack of other countries besides Germany & Russia. They assure us that all those things will be in the final release including clans and comunity skins.
I've done some artying myself, too. I stopped doing it after I got the Grille, though. The ammo and repairs became so expensive I was hardly getting a return after each battle. Using the Wespe was pretty cool though, but it lacked the firepower.

Fuhrmann

Post by Fuhrmann »

pzrwest wrote:Is this a strictly online game or can one play off line against the computer as well?
You can play offline with the AI, Though it is not as good, as the AI is not as smart as real players and don't use teamwork.
When you buy Red Orchestra (Ost front 41'-45') you also get Mare Nostrum (Africa & mediterranean fronts) and Darkest Hour 44'-45' (Western theatre) for free.
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

Ive been playing this in closed beta for a few months now......its total rubbish!

They introduced a new patch so just about eveyone ran off and got a Maus or an IS7 (T72 in disguise)
The game developed by Russians is a joke once you get past tiger II / IS2 and is heavily favoured for the Russian line. It had superb potential ruined by the introduction of impregnable russian post war tanks.
Tank models are ok alot of hmm bending of designs to make it into a game........the should have just stuck to actual tanks that participated in WW2 and left it so imo
Never Surrender. Your Honour lies in victory or death
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

has DH got any better ? i played it when it first came out and it was utter crap , so many things wrong with it i gave up wrighting them down and sending it off to the DH team.

RO is the best and will always be,
mikebie

Post by mikebie »

...and Red Orchestra comes from....???? :roll: :D
mikebie

Post by mikebie »

Hans Gowert wrote:has DH got any better ? i played it when it first came out and it was utter crap , so many things wrong with it i gave up wrighting them down and sending it off to the DH team.

RO is the best and will always be,

It has, Tom. Much better. Great opportunity for co-op play as Allies.

The tank servers are, imho, the best, particularly the 'Jolly Rogers'...although there are some very nice infantry maps.

The German Armour superiority still needs a little work although that should be address in the next update which, we're told, should be before Christmas.
Schnitzel

Post by Schnitzel »

mikebie wrote:
...and Red Orchestra comes from....???? :roll: :D
Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 :roll:

Fuhrmann

Post by Fuhrmann »

DH has inproved alot, It is far better then Red Orchestra now, Though I do miss the Ost front. The armor system is far better in DH, as in RO it was all about angling your tank a 10.5 or 2.5 degrees. It also has more wepaons for the Germans such as, G36, Panzer Shreck and the FG42. And new German Vehicles like the Opel Blitz, Kubelwagon Jagdpanther, King Tiger and some others. Plus there is a new update coming out soon, Which will add five new german armored vehicles and new wepaons and equipment. But it's still in testing so I can't say what yet :P
labrador

Post by labrador »

Does anyone around here play the old battlefront combat mission games? as far as i know, these have a very accurate feel. they are not really tank simulators but rather tactical simulations for small to mid size unit tactics. the graphics are quite dated by now but the game play is great and there are hundreds of scenarios.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=90

Just thought i'd bring it up as a good alternative.

Return to “Computer Games, Modelling and Wargaming”