Advertisement trailer
Gameplay trailer

Humorous interview/playthrough
Part 1
Part 2

Best preview I've read yet:
http://mashthosebuttons.com/2011/08/red ... r-preview/

Especially this bit:

I have never played a game that actually made me feel bad for killing someone. To give you an example of what I’m talking about, I shot an enemy soldier in the stomach and I was close enough to hear him. He didn’t just scream and die; he bled out, crying and sobbing in Russian while he died… Slowly. For a few seconds I honestly thought, “sorry dude.” Those aren’t the only sounds you will hear. There has been more than one time I have been in a different room with an ally, heard a gunshot go off, and then heard my ally screaming, SCREAMING, in agony as he died. It’s very hard to describe the feeling that it gives you, but it definitely adds intensity and emotion into the game.

Also tons of new screenshots, but can't be bothered to find all the links :P
It is only a problem if you make it a problem

Member of the Dutch 116th Panzer Division 'Der Windhund' group
S.Wilhelm

Re: Red Orchestra 2

Post by S.Wilhelm »

I`m playing the beta and indeed is the most realistic WW2 FPS!

Id like to know If there is any group who trains the real tactics in the game, would be really nice!

Best Regards
Schütze Siegfried W. Inselmann
1. / SS-Inf.Ers.Btl. Deutschland
Pies

Post by Pies »

So, it's out now, and I have to say I'm sorely disappointed. The basic gameplay is sound, fixing many problems present in the original, but the game runs quite sloppily and is quite buggy. The maps I have so far seen have been decent, though not particularly imaginative. Weapon functionality is great, but the models are not that great; in fact you will probably find the graphics in general disappointing if you care for this aspect in games. The weapons present in the game are also very unrealistic: for every bog standard Kar98k, M1891/30 and Ppsh-41 you will get MP/40-II, MKb-42, suppressed Nagant revolver or some other obscure shooter, some very doubtfully used at Stalingrad at all. Worst of all however is the terrible server browser, which has so far pretty effectively kept me from playing much : D along with the frequent crashes. I'll have to try again later today if I could manage to play some more.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

42gunner wrote:sometime this century.
There are already 2 mods lined up for it. One is a Vietnam war mod and another a WW2 Pacific theater mod.
The pacific theater mod is looking good so far, The JRA have been helping on the Japanese side of things of this one

http://www.risingstormgame.com/
JRA site http://www.japanesereenacting.co.uk/

New Japanese reenactors forum

http://s13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/

''i think the phrase ryhmes with clucking bell''
Pies

Post by Pies »

Along with the updates, I'm really looking forward to mods, as I think the basic gameplay seems quite good :)
Heinz O. Kaufmann

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

AI being tactical :D
André

Post by André »

Schnitzel wrote:Bah, just my luck, it releases just as I go away to study abroad in Finland for 4 months :(
Welcome to Finland (just wait the long and dark winter! ;))! I hope we'll see you in Gaissmair Winter Training this year?

About the RO2:
-It seems quite buggy right now. For me, the textures are quite weird and I can't even change the aspect ratio from 5:4 to 16:9... I google'd it and they said it'll be fixed in next patch.
-Gameplay is quite "cod -like"... You'll win if you got an automatic weapon and spray'n'pray. Old RO1 was awesome because it was more realistic with bolt action rifles winnings and so on.
-Most of maps are... Sad. There are few "old maps" which are modernized for RO2 (for example Danzig) but they don't feel the same. :( [OPINION]
-Server browser sucks like Pies said earlier. I hardly can find ANY servers from game own browser.
-Tank missions are maybe better than last one. Especially the modelling inside the tank. It's more realistic and awesome seeing the men moving inside the tank.

Let's hope the patches will clear out most of these problems!
Schnitzel

Post by Schnitzel »

André wrote: Welcome to Finland (just wait the long and dark winter! ;))! I hope we'll see you in Gaissmair Winter Training this year?
I hope so, I'll be back home before Christmas though so it won't be during my current stay, depends on how much money I have left near the end of this, your beer is damn expensive! :lol:

Otto Kohl

Post by Otto Kohl »

The game has some serious bugs, but the climate of RO1 has been preserved. I look forward to rapid emergence of gameplay modes allowing to play not only in Stalingrad, but the whole eastern front. I count also on the skin Waffen-SS. So modders - get to work !
Pies

Post by Pies »

After a few patches and finging a good gaming group for this I have found the game quite fun, even though the bugs are still very much a problem. Regarding my earlier statement about maps, I have found out the game has a map based on the Stalingrad granary, a massive building making a very interesting batteground. I hope more maps like that will be coming in the future : )
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

I cant get through the single player due to a serious bug, stuck in the commander training in the Axis campaign. What I have played I've enjoyed, but I don't like the MKb42, anti tank rifles, etc. The map where it keeps spawning you with an anti tnak rifle when all you want is a 98k or mp40 to get in and clear the buildings with is utter pish.

I loved the first mission attacking through the church and village, and the defensive mission some time after that in the church. MG34 on the lafette, mowing reds down....mmm
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Grenadier1

Post by Grenadier1 »

One of the most realistic games I've played. In regard to the bugs, I like to think that some of the most buggy games are sometimes the best. Its good to see a game evolve and improve slowly compared to games like COD which are rushed off the shelves with no thought to accuracy or realism in order to sell more.

Although I wish the soldiers would speak in there native languages, I'm not a big fan of the badly done German/Russian accents, hopefully they'll be a mod for this. Another thing is the uniforms but I also hope they'll be a mod for this as well :)
Füsilier Johann Kellerman
Panzer Füsilier Regiment Großdeutschland
http://www.germansoldier.co.uk
Waffenbruder

Post by Waffenbruder »

hmmm i'm not decided on this game yet, i must admit the graphics change from RO1 to RO2 was very impressive while being able to keep the realism factor off the game, but then again the game just doesn't feel right to me :( anyone elso got this feeling? and for mods i would love a second darkest hour!!
Schnitzel

Post by Schnitzel »

There is a way to use the native languages, they just haven't been officially implemented yet. Have a look at the Tripwire forums, I'm sure there's a couple of topics about it.

Also, this:

I love seeing crazy bugs :D

42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

So many aspects of the game mirror those of CoD world at war. I was just expecting someone to call in a recon plane or send dogs after me.

Return to “Computer Games, Modelling and Wargaming”