Button a knochensack mk3

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

feldman

Button a knochensack mk3

Post by feldman »

x
Last edited by feldman on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired & Armed
Jaws

Re: Button a knochensack mk3

Post by Jaws »

Have you put the smock on and tried? I had to ask.
If your in a group, they should show you. If not, get along to an event with FJ's and ask if they can show you.
I figured mine out (It's a Spearhead Type III) but they are useless and keep popping open. I only ever close them if i'm on "parade" or "guard duty".
I'd love to know what the veterans would say about them.

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
feldman

Post by feldman »

x
Retired & Armed
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Who's the manufacturer of the smock? How many snaps are there at the bottom? Mine has 3 male and 3 female per side. Does yours have this?

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Jaws wrote:Have you put the smock on and tried? I had to ask.
If your in a group, they should show you. If not, get along to an event with FJ's and ask if they can show you.
I figured mine out (It's a Spearhead Type III) but they are useless and keep popping open. I only ever close them if i'm on "parade" or "guard duty".
I'd love to know what the veterans would say about them.

Regards,

Gary.
Hello,

I had a discussion with Gerhard Kaempner (FJ veteren living in the UK) on this very subject a fgew years back.

Most of the time the smocks were left unbuttoned however Gerry did mention many FJ sewed loops and buttons in place of the poppers, some even sewed the material in place once buttoned up creating a step in effect.

Clearly the poppers were only really for closure of the smock whilst parachuting as the smock was designed to be worn over all equipment to prevent snagging on the rigging lines in flight or other troops on the airframe prior to a descent. A deployed canopy on an aircraft would be a drama of vast proportions :shock:

Reference the buttoning of the smock, it should be straight forward, however that is assuming the male and female parts of the poppers are in alignment, as clearly they are misaligned on many repro smocks. I'll try a dig a picture I have somewhere of how this buttoning was achieved.

Regards,

Mark.
In memory of Tim Browning 1964-2011
"A Gentleman and a Scholar"
feldman

Post by feldman »

x
Retired & Armed
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Hi Kent,

One of my splinter B type 3 (Spearheads latest type) came to me with one side of the snaps missing! I had to get some and fit them myself, easy enough done. So I wonder if you have some missing?

I cannot post a picture, when I try I get, " The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB."

Have a look at Spearhead's listing on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-German-Fallsc ... 5d2c2759be maybe the pics on there may help.

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.

Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

if you are worried about the buttons constantly coming undone. then sew them. I have a step in smock that was sewn, it aint a problem.

But remember , let it hang ! :P
feldman

Post by feldman »

x
Retired & Armed
feldman

Post by feldman »

x
Retired & Armed

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”