SFK-Swedish Reenactors

Moderator: Pirkka

jmatchlock

SFK-Swedish Reenactors

Post by jmatchlock »

Here is a link for SFK swedish Reenactors -http://www.tac-team.dk/Kasf/GallerySFK.htm
You Do Not Know Unless -You try -Image
Richk98

Re: SFK-Swedish Reenactors

Post by Richk98 »

thanks for the link jay, some interesting photos!
Rich
reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

Wow, great stuff there!

Ashley
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/
mario33

Post by mario33 »

I like this poster:

BTW, funny though... Swedes dont especially like the Finns (and thety dont especially like Norwegians either). And when it comes to serious danger - they are more than eager to help each other. Worth noticing...
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

mario33 wrote: BTW, funny though... Swedes dont especially like the Finns (and thety dont especially like Norwegians either). And when it comes to serious danger - they are more than eager to help each other. Worth noticing...
Ermmm. Not sure where you get this from. This is not accurate as far as I am concerned. All of the scandinavian nations are very "pro-scandinavian" patriotic.

Even ignoring the vast numbers of Swedes who volunteered in the Finnish wars (and the fact that the Swedish Government supplied these volunteers with the new Swedish M39 uniform even before the Swedish army received it), thousands of people in Sweden raised money and supplies etc for Finland, and hundreds of Finnish children were taken in as evacuees by Swedish families. (Swedish is also a second language in Finland)

Also with regard to Norway, the same humanitarian efforts were undertaken (unofficially), even with some Swedes crosing into Norway to help families etc (my wife's grandparents did this!)

True, the Swedes do tell Norwegian jokes in the same way as the English tell Irish jokes, but I would hardly say that this means they do not like them. Sweden, Norway, Finland, and to a certain extent Denmark share a proudness of not being european, but scandinavian.

Just my experience of course. Anyone from Finland, Norway of Sweden want to add anything?

Ashley
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

mario33

Post by mario33 »

I agree that I used the stereotype...

The thing I wanted to point out is similar to what you just have written. Its a very good and positive thing ! And worth pointing out - so I did. I like the idea of Scandinavian part of Europe staying close to each other instead of 'battling' each other frequently as might be observed in many places in the world (including here).

Example to other nations.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Gren. Anckarström

Post by Gren. Anckarström »

I'm swedish with finnish roots. My grandfather (along with his brothers) fought in the Winterwar and the continuation war, they were from a part in finland where swedish was and still is the main language, and people in these areas are called "finlandssvenskar", which can roughly be translated as finish-swedes. I remember my grandfather telling me that during the entire winterwar, the finns thought that sweden would join the war and help finland. Even though that never happened, they had alot of respect for the swedes (approx. 8.000) who did chose to come and fight for finland.

When it comes to peacetime we joke alot about each other, but as someone stated, we help each other alot too.
FHF - Nordland
www.reenactor.se
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Gren. Anckarström wrote:I'm swedish with finnish roots. My grandfather (along with his brothers) fought in the Winterwar and the continuation war, they were from a part in finland where swedish was and still is the main language, and people in these areas are called "finlandssvenskar", which can roughly be translated as finish-swedes. I remember my grandfather telling me that during the entire winterwar, the finns thought that sweden would join the war and help finland. Even though that never happened, they had alot of respect for the swedes (approx. 8.000) who did chose to come and fight for finland.

When it comes to peacetime we joke alot about each other, but as someone stated, we help each other alot too.
This is true as a Brit living in Finland I would say its like brother and Sister Fight like cats and dogs with each other .But if some one from out side starts on one of them then they join to gether .ts been like this for 100s of years :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

That's what I love about Scandinavia - they are proud of who they are and support each other.

Ashley
("Adopted" Swede!) :)

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

reddevil1311 wrote:That's what I love about Scandinavia - they are proud of who they are and support each other.

Ashley
("Adopted" Swede!) :)
YESand whats more your not made to feel guilty of beaing proud of your country unlike the UK
Franz Adopted Finn :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

What struck me the first time I went to Sweden was the number of national flags being flown from posts or doors of houses. Unlike us, they can be proud of their flag and are able to fly it without being labelled as being right wing etc. :x

Ashley

Gren. Anckarström

Post by Gren. Anckarström »

Well, we fight hard not to give our flag to people like right-wing extremists. If you stop showing the nationflag because it might offend immigrants, then you've given it to the right-wingers.

Instead you can make sure that the people who decide to move here from other countries know that they are just as big a part of the country that the flag represent and that they also can be proud of being swedish.

Im not really one of those people who go around saying that im "proud of being swedish" and stuff like that, cause my mind dont really work like that, but when I think about it, Sweden is a really good place to live in, even though we have our problems like all other countires.
FHF - Nordland
www.reenactor.se
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

interesting point about the flags - in Sweden it's common for folk to fly the flag and I note that US do this as well. In blighty we have a slight issue that folk are more likely to fly the cornish or yorkshire flag than British one - we have too much choice. Personally it would be the Saltire of course being Scottish but I think that sums up why we don't do this in UK (no Calcutta cup this year then...)
Fisto

Post by Fisto »

Personally, being a finn I respect the swedes both as people and soldiers.

Currently Im waiting deployment into a peacekeeping mission. As a member of the FRDF I have a chance to get into ISAF or RCA/Tchad. In those operations I most probably get to work with swedish soldiers. And Im looking forward to it.
Tomumme maassa
Nimemme kivessä
Isänmaa on vapaa!
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

:lol: Quick query (on the Swedish volunteers) - did they have any markings on their helmet? I note from one film they seem to have yellow daubs on the side of their german style helmets but before I do the same to my ex-Norwegian defence force helmet (ok, a m35 german helmet), it would be nice to know.

Return to “Finnish Discussion”