M/36 Wool Uniform

Moderator: Pirkka

jmatchlock

M/36 Wool Uniform

Post by jmatchlock »

M/36 Wool Uniform = please note - the Key Hole type button Holes . the photo with the button holes show a good view of the color and type of wool used. - as you can see by the photos the color in the photos and your monitor color has a lot of different color , as all photos of the same uniform. input welcome -ImageImageImageImageImageImage
You Do Not Know Unless -You try -Image
Bergführer

Re: M/36 Wool Uniform

Post by Bergführer »

I know that there were A LOT of M36 tunic wool colors, and I have quite a lot of wool so, need to know will this one be good or not.

Here it is, compared to the swedish trousers.
Bergführer

Post by Bergführer »

Guys...?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Good sir it is a sort of steel blue I an tring to find the correct colour
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

They're both right but I would suggest more of a blue shade as my colleague suggests. Luftwaffe blue will do at a pinch, Heer steingrau is also pretty close. There was a hellish amount of variation in colour supplied though, especially in 1944 when supply became desperate.
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

I now have a field cap and winter tunic replica. What surprised me was the colour as its definitely grey blue rather than grey black that pictures seem to be. However recent authentic kit on ebay appears to be the same colour so the grey blue (is this similar to French blue?) seems correct. I would say the feel of my replica vs an authentic swedish m36 jacket is quite different. The cloth seems dense and quite stiff in the swedish jacket but I presume that there is so much variation in Finnish tunics that all might be correct!? (oh, swedish kit is quite green so not a match for Finnish kit)
Richk98

Post by Richk98 »

do you have any pics of your tunic?
I've been trying in vain for ages to find a decent repro m/36 winter tunic.

once again, welcome to the forum!
Rich
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

I have attached some images of the jacket I recently received from US. It needs a liner and could do with a wee bit of tailoring but, unlike real ones which can cost less, it fits me - this is size 46 - 48 inch chest! I doubt many Finns were built like this in the war. The shoulder insignia I have added separately (coastal artillery?).

:oops:
Attachments
Finnish replica m36 exterior/ interior detail
Finnish replica m36 exterior/ interior detail
DSC03112.JPG (144.22 KiB) Viewed 14453 times
m36 Finnish collar close up
m36 Finnish collar close up
DSC03111.JPG (153.57 KiB) Viewed 14432 times
m36 Finnish replica
m36 Finnish replica
DSC03110.JPG (142.29 KiB) Viewed 14371 times
jmatchlock

Post by jmatchlock »

Where in US ? did you buy that Coat ! Cost ? Sorry to say , Think -you got " ripped "
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

This was supplied by KevOS4 - looks a wee bit different from the jacket you posted. I appreciate it is not a straight facsimile of the authentic version (!) but apart from making one from scratch (I failed to do sewing etc at school) this was the only way of getting something close that would fit. High purchase price and delivery means that outside the US it would be an expensive business to get one of these - I know Rich is after one (I presume bigger than EU size 50 or 52 which are the largest I have seen so far on EBay) so any direction on alternative suppliers appreciated. I see Milpro seem to have the tunics on their web site but again none available for sale and still good ol size 50. In the UK, there is a fashion fad for m36 german/ US m65 style jackets (check out Next etc ) so I was hoping I could wear my jacket for normal use since no-one would know the difference! I will keep my eyes open for more authentic style wool jacket (and Summer Tunic) but till then this will have to do me (and with a liner it should be comfy?! I can certainly wear my large, heavy Swedish jumper under it!). Now, some relaxing Finnish veteran march music.....(my wife has serious concerns)
:mrgreen:
jmatchlock

Post by jmatchlock »

think ,this is the Tunic thy were trying to make ? Image
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

ah, the spitting image of what I have... :)

..as I said, it's amazing what a bit of tailoring might do.

anyhow, summer approaches so time to pursue a summer tunic - Milform hopefully will get back to me nxt week, and this topic is continued elsewhere (under Summer tunic topic)

Thanks for the clear picture - I can show that to the tailor (actually it's the dry cleaners who also do adjustments etc but they have been wonderful in sorting out bits and pieces associated with my motorcycle clothing before)
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

Just found this - seems less tailored than some m36 tunics with less definition of a waist
Attachments
m36 Finnish tunic (from a Finnish site)
m36 Finnish tunic (from a Finnish site)
m36tunic.jpg (36.92 KiB) Viewed 14305 times
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

Yes, that's a wartime M/36. They took fewer pains with them as they made the transit from peace to war, and all of the little details that had made the peacetime jacket so smart were eliminated to save time. One of the reservists at the end of 'The Unknown Soldier' complains about how shoddy the uniform he's got is. (Of course, he could have returned to the army in 1939 and not got a uniform at all - see the film 'Talvisota'!)
Fisto

Post by Fisto »

I had done an M36 repro tunic and it looks very promising after a couple of refinements.

After I get the tunic absolutely right and the Etulinja order on the way, ill take a closer look at the pants. In my eyes it looks far superior in terms of cut and material to the kevos4 tunic. Dont mind me sleeping in the last pic do you?
Tomumme maassa
Nimemme kivessä
Isänmaa on vapaa!

Return to “Finnish Discussion”