Stitch dyeing

Moderator: Feldjager

redsun

Stitch dyeing

Post by redsun »

Hi all, I was recently informed by my officer that he will be cracking down on white stitches on leather (boots, belts, straps etc). What have you used? I was thinking a mix of soil and coffee stains to brown the stitches to give them a worn look about them. Any help would be great
SplinterA

Re: Stitch dyeing

Post by SplinterA »

Try polish?
Lederfett would also work.
Halle

Post by Halle »

redsun ,
Has your officer explained WHY he's cracking down on white stitching ? I have many original items that have leather work ; for example , 8 M31 Mountain rucksacks - NONE of them show any sign of the stitching on the leather having been artificially dyed - in fact , the white stitching is still white ( though not bright , having been " dulled " with age ) .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

Do you have original belts and y straps that show wear and still have white stitching?
Belts were required to be polished, the manuals show how. It might be the last think on their mind in combat but the first thing on their instructors mind during training.
Boots were also required to be polished and kept clean. There was an order to stop blackening boots but that was not an order not to clean, polish and waterproof.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Original Y straps , original map case , many original equipment straps , all as I described earlier . However , I take your point about leather belts , and boots , which of course would have been treated with polish and / or Lederfett .

This brings us back to an old thread , however , and that is how far one should go to " age " modern repro equipment . I've always been of the opinion that one should use it , and look after it , and it will age by itself ...
Pyotr

Post by Pyotr »

I agree- buy it used if possible, wear it correctly, let it aqe itself. I can't see why repro gear should look 70+ years old unless one is using it on a manikin as a filler to replace something one can not get. If we are at an airshow, I usually polish and clean. If it is a tactical event, I try to clean and polish with dubbing my shoes, and not much else.

I am not sure that gear should have its thread blackened. Germans felt this weakened the thread, and it was ordered to be made with white thread. (Not sure if it was white or simply linen natural!)

It may be your Commander's modern camo discipline creeping in,. or simply an eccentric behavior.

Personally, I use a lot of hiking leather dressings, mostly without pigment. I have read that black dressing was hard to get in the later war years. But I am not sure of this. I am sure than dressing the leather especially after mud, rain and snow is a good idea.
Pyotr
redsun

Post by redsun »

Halle wrote:redsun ,
Has your officer explained WHY he's cracking down on white stitching ? I have many original items that have leather work ; for example , 8 M31 Mountain rucksacks - NONE of them show any sign of the stitching on the leather having been artificially dyed - in fact , the white stitching is still white ( though not bright , having been " dulled " with age ) .
apparently it is a pet peeve of his.
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

Cleaning and polishing your leather work is hardly adding 'age'. Just good practice.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Of course , that's the point ..... don't try and do it artificially by dying the white stitching ! Just look after your kit and wear it .... :wink:
dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer »

I still don't see anything wrong with having white stitching. On all of my original leather equipment, belts included, the stitching is still white. Some stitching is darker than others, but it's not been dyed. I don't know why one would see the need to color it in any way.
Chris Pittman

Post by Chris Pittman »

I have a lot of original used field gear and none of it has dyed stitching. I have read that black polish was not issued after around 1943.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”