quality of "the-history-bunker-ltd" items - leather jackets

Moderator: Feldjager

koobleguy

quality of "the-history-bunker-ltd" items - leather jackets

Post by koobleguy »

Hi,

does anybody of you have experiences with service & quality of ""the-history-bunker-ltd",
especially their

WW2 German U-Boat "Panzer" wrap - reproduction WWII uniform - 44 chest

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-German-U- ... 4178689156

is the leather of good quality? good craftmanship?

thanks for your help :) very appreciated!
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
peterwulfhund

Re: quality of "the-history-bunker-ltd" items - leather jack

Post by peterwulfhund »

...Mmmm... probably more suitable for wear at the gay bar ( gay bar ,gay bar ! ) :lol:
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

Sorry mate, don't know which places you attend but my 1st thought seeing a leather jacket ain't some YMCA fag fashion - but I don't know about your experiences of course :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

they have a web site

http://www.thehistorybunker.co.uk/

anyone form the kriegsmarine help with this?
graham
peterwulfhund

Post by peterwulfhund »

Gott knows why my post was repeated by the system 3 times !

...Anyway my oblique point was kinda that I would tend to view this as a bit of a 'fantasy' item, I don't think there's much ( if any) evidence these were actual issue to Panzer men, if they existed in wartime at all I'd think they'd be private purchase like the 'leather coats' you see a lot of....

...They'd look the part at a Goth club though :lol: I saw a guy in full Panzer uniform ( with Y straps !!! ) at such an establishment a few years back !
peterwulfhund

Post by peterwulfhund »

Btw here's an Austrian civilian ski jacket from 1935ish catalogue, essentially a 'Panzer Wrap' so clearly this design was kicking around as a sports kit item
Attachments
1935 jkt.jpg
1935 jkt.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 8878 times
Konzert-Meister

Post by Konzert-Meister »

There are various images of 12th SS tank crews wearing the leather sets.
Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (25.34 KiB) Viewed 8856 times
peterwulfhund

Post by peterwulfhund »

Those are not 'panzer wraps' , just assorted leather jackets as far as I can see, fairly generic types of the period ( I've owned a few old German leathers myself in the past )
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Konzert-Meister wrote:There are various images of 12th SS tank crews wearing the leather sets.
As said these are the normal "U-Boat" type leather jackets which were commonly
seen being used by SS Panzer crews especially the 12th but the jacket in question
the short wrap over type was very rarely used/seen tbh :?
Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Konzert-Meister

Post by Konzert-Meister »

Not cut in wrap style but the 'U Boot' type leather uniform. Would be worn over the standard wool uniform (up to the wearer how or when he wore it, if indeed he was issued a set) said to be extra protection in those few seconds before a tank erupts after being hit. With a layer of wool and leather you serve a good chance of protection against fire, alas it wouldn't protect you for long with your face and hands exposed in a tank full of flame and smoke. Once the ammunition goes up, you've had it. That is if you've not already been killed or severed when you were hit. Here is a marine type set.

http://www.battleflagmilitaria.co.uk/vi ... 500&phqu=5

With the 12th SS being sent into battle in 1944 and the ever decreasing size of the Kriegsmarine it's probable this is where the suits came from.

This video, although using up to date weapons shows the stopping power of one man against a tank. Piat, bazooka, panzerfaust, panzerschrek or magnetic mines carried the same effect. Just reinforces how effective a 14 year old could be with a panzerfaust in the streets of Berlin. Tanks don't work in built up areas. 5:30 in vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIPSRWtwz_Q

Take time to remember the tank crews of all nations who didn't survive.
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

thanks for your help,

as I'd intend this one (most likely the brown version) to be used as a motorcycle jacket,
not for reenactment, it's ok for me to be let's say a "rarely documented piece" :)

nevertheless: anybody knows about their quality of the items?
regards, koobleguy

peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Konzert-Meister wrote:Not cut in wrap style but the 'U Boot' type leather uniform. Would be worn over the standard wool uniform (up to the wearer how or when he wore it, if indeed he was issued a set) said to be extra protection in those few seconds before a tank erupts after being hit. With a layer of wool and leather you serve a good chance of protection against fire, alas it wouldn't protect you for long with your face and hands exposed in a tank full of flame and smoke. Once the ammunition goes up, you've had it. That is if you've not already been killed or severed when you were hit. Here is a marine type set.

http://www.battleflagmilitaria.co.uk/vi ... 500&phqu=5

With the 12th SS being sent into battle in 1944 and the ever decreasing size of the Kriegsmarine it's probable this is where the suits came from.

This video, although using up to date weapons shows the stopping power of one man against a tank. Piat, bazooka, panzerfaust, panzerschrek or magnetic mines carried the same effect. Just reinforces how effective a 14 year old could be with a panzerfaust in the streets of Berlin. Tanks don't work in built up areas. 5:30 in vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIPSRWtwz_Q

Take time to remember the tank crews of all nations who didn't survive.

Yes thanks for the info kamerad, im just saying the short wrap over type was rarely seen,
as for the longer "U Boat" type jacket, yes these were from KM stores apparantly, they
were issued mainly to the 12th-SS because they were based near the U Boat pens in
France, as far as i know the grey leather types were dyed black for use by the SS.

Pipes :wink:
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Walther

Post by Walther »

One of our lads had one of the tunic and trousers parade uniforms done for him earlier this year.

He found it a frustrating experience to say the least. He got it done eventually but isn't 100% happy with the colour.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

Ok, thanks :), what was the exact problem? Quality or service?
regards, koobleguy

RZM

Post by RZM »

I own the black kreigsmarine/panzerwrap and love it. Quality leather. Thick,not thin at all. My only gripe with these is you routinely have to re-sew button back on. Whatever thread they use for them just isn't strong enough. I've redone about every one at least once. The red rayon liner is sharp too. As to how accurate.. It's the best one I've seen out of all the leather one I've seen previous. I wear this all the time sans shoulderboards.
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”