Best Tunic on the mart.. on a budget..

Moderator: Feldjager

Mattias Sieger

Re: Best Tunic on the mart.. on a budget..

Post by Mattias Sieger »

From what I can seen from the pictures fra Militaria-Net.co.uk their M36 is from gavin. http://militaria-net.co.uk/oscommerce/c ... p-674.html

I have also received many packages from him without having to pay import tax. He simply ships all his items as $20 gifts.
Mattias "Sieger" Sidelmann
2.Gruppe
Regimentet
http://www.reenactors.dk
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

Peip, has a point with the Gavin's tunics they are thinner compared to other reproductions
and originals.
He really must use thicker wool.
But still no crap.

The best repro is an original...
Hannibal Brooks

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

I've tried on one of his M43s and it seemed pretty good to me. I'm currently deciding whether to get a Gavin or a Sturm M36, so it's quite relevant to me. Gavin seems very good at responding to questions and has recommended which size is best to go for when considering height and chest size. I have also seem the Sturms and they look ok too. So you pays your money and you make your choice. I've got a Sturm fliegerbluse and I've got no complaints on that.
Kurt Schulte

Post by Kurt Schulte »

The only downside to the sturm tunic I had, or buying another in the future is the available sizing. Being a tall lanky fellow, Sturm tunics just do not fit me. I can send Gavin my measurements and within a few weeks I have a uniform that fits as it should. That overrides its other downsides to me. Especially when I know I am going to wear this uniform to public battles and Private tacticals.. paying 80 and having it wear out is a lot better than 250
Obergefreiter Kurt Schulte
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Given that many originals were very poorly made, are we complaining too much about quality?
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Mr Sensible

Post by Mr Sensible »

Mattias Sieger wrote:From what I can seen from the pictures fra Militaria-Net.co.uk their M36 is from gavin. http://militaria-net.co.uk/oscommerce/c ... p-674.html
Does anybody know if this is definitely the case? I'm from the UK so would prefer the ease/speed of ordering from them, if possible and I do like the look of Gavin's. This will be my first ever purchase actually!
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Kurt Schulte wrote:The only downside to the sturm tunic I had, or buying another in the future is the available sizing. Being a tall lanky fellow, Sturm tunics just do not fit me. I can send Gavin my measurements and within a few weeks I have a uniform that fits as it should. That overrides its other downsides to me. Especially when I know I am going to wear this uniform to public battles and Private tacticals.. paying 80 and having it wear out is a lot better than 250
Yes mate of course it will only take a few weeks for you and yes it will be cheaper for you because your from the US,
you cant really compare your situation to somebody in the UK, ordering the same "tailored" jacket from Gavin it
would of course take longer so you cant use that as a normal example of his service tbh, nobody seems to understand
or listen i will say it once more....basically Gavin is based in the US ok, it is going to take longer and work out out more
expensive for people from the UK to buy his stuff ok, we in the UK still have to pay some sort of import tax and of
it is going to take longer for his item to arrive, so if it takes two weeks to arrive somewhere in Ohio it will take 4 weeks
to arrive in the UK, please stop using the US as examples it is completely different here not to mention our postal
service is a shambles, im not mentioning this again because ive lost intrest because it seems im wasting my time
nobody is listening :roll:
Olly

Post by Olly »

I broke down the UK costs in my previous post so won't cover that ground again, all his uniforms are made to order so custom tailoring takes no longer than a standard tunic. Delivery has been 3 weeks in every instance, tailored or not.
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

Peiper wrote:Gavin is based in the US ok, it is going to take longer and work out out more
expensive for people from the UK to buy his stuff ok, we in the UK still have to pay some sort of import tax and of
it is going to take longer for his item to arrive, so if it takes two weeks to arrive somewhere in Ohio it will take 4 weeks
to arrive in the UK, please stop using the US as examples it is completely different here not to mention our postal
service is a shambles, im not mentioning this again because ive lost intrest because it seems im wasting my time
nobody is listening :roll:
He ships out of China(and based in China),that is what i always see when parcels arrive here.

The best repro is an original...
Pz Gren Hoffmann

Post by Pz Gren Hoffmann »

Yeah they are based i China.
You can get their products from at least one dealer in europe though.
feldman

Post by feldman »

It would be cool to know whom in Europe who stocks his tunics & trousers. Maybe someone can make a list of dealers ?
Retired & Armed
Mattias Sieger

Post by Mattias Sieger »

Mattias "Sieger" Sidelmann
2.Gruppe
Regimentet
http://www.reenactors.dk
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Mooyman wrote:Peip, has a point with the Gavin's tunics they are thinner compared to other reproductions
and originals.
He really must use thicker wool.
But still no crap.
My Gavin M40 is thicker than my Sturm one, and a better shape, IMO.
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot »

Just bought a Gavin M42, "custom tailored."

I'll post detailed pictures when it comes in and before I have it tailored down to something weird and wild.

This gavin M42 will be shortened, have the pockets sewn flat, breast pockets reduced in size, and taken in at the waist. I'm basing this off of an original M42 in a friends collection. The original belonged to a Stabsgefr. in an infantry unit, and has remained untouched since the war. Really a beautiful piece, and one that was field worn.

Normally I wouldn't do something like this, but when you have 5 tunics you might as well spruce one of them up, haha.
STEIGE AUS DEM BETT, DREH' DEN SWAG AUFFFFFF
g girl

Post by g girl »

We had some thin wool tunics a few years ago which were popular because dont get as hot, these days we have both sturm and some good quality chinese stuff, the sturm have a longer boby to suit modern shape,s our chinese stuff is shorter and a more accurate cut but less forgiving in fit. Also worth noteing most of these chinese dealers dont make all their own stuff a lot is sourced from different factorys who make a batch and then sell it to anyone who wants them, so our new batch of M36 maybe the same as Gavins, we didnt buy them from him so dont know. The point is their is not a `best tunic on the market` only the right tunic for the right person depending on taste, fit, opinion, buget etc.

cheers
Anthony

http://www.militaria-net.co.uk

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”