Issued uniforms

Moderator: Feldjager

wolff

Issued uniforms

Post by wolff »

Hi. I was just wondering, within the German Army, the uniforms that were issued to new soldiers and as replacement issue for damaged and worn out uniforms, was it issued with the breast or shoulder eagle, and collar insignia sewn on or was it up to the soldiers to sew their own. If it was issued sewn what are the chances of having mixed like bottle green backing insignia on an m42. I have seen this many times at events and I am guilty of this as well but want to fix it if this is not correct.
Gliderinf

Re: Issued uniforms

Post by Gliderinf »

Breast eagles are factory sewn, Assume sleeve ones the same ???

Collar tabs obviously vary acording to unit though. so is your unit bog standard - or were they tarts :)

Early insignia is always possible on late tunics - but you should always aim to represent the norm. So Ideally pre/early insignia for early war and so on, mid war insignia for M42s. etc etc

unless of course you know that the unit had peculiarities (Like GD tended to put more effort into smart / early tuniics / insignia, later on than most line units would) etc.

whatever you do - dont wear something because others in the group wear the oposite :evil:
Gliderinf / Luftlande
wolff

Post by wolff »

Thank you so very much
m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot »

wolff wrote:Hi. I was just wondering, within the German Army, the uniforms that were issued to new soldiers and as replacement issue for damaged and worn out uniforms, was it issued with the breast or shoulder eagle, and collar insignia sewn on or was it up to the soldiers to sew their own. If it was issued sewn what are the chances of having mixed like bottle green backing insignia on an m42. I have seen this many times at events and I am guilty of this as well but want to fix it if this is not correct.
Heer uniforms were issued with breast eagles and litzen sewn by the factory. Sometimes breast eagles were handsewn, but the overwhelming majority of M42/3 uniforms had these items machine sewn.

The insignia on a uniform could vary, especially if the uniform was picked up, cleaned and re-issued. This is why sometimes you see "late" insignia on earlier uniforms. Sometimes later uniforms have early insignia because that is what the manufacturer making the uniform had in stock. But, it is best to go with the "common" for any uniform, and for an M42/3 I would go with generic litzen and a later eagle (not M44).

Sometimes soldiers would have their uniforms tailored and modified by adding earlier insignia for a sharper appearance. This is why you see false pleats added to m43 uniforms, or bottlegreen collars added to anything post an M36. I wear an M43 with an early Gefr. chevron, why? It is what I was given upon promotion.

I have a photo in my collection of a man from the unit I represent while reenacting. In a 1945 studio shot he has prewar shoulderboards w/regimental numbers directly embroidered (not chainstitched) and an early Schirmmuetze.
STEIGE AUS DEM BETT, DREH' DEN SWAG AUFFFFFF
Konzert-Meister

Post by Konzert-Meister »

Hans Roger, M43 tunic, green collar, pleated pockets. Also note the buttons, clearly not like that by chance.

http://www.germansoldier.co.uk/roger.html

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”