Feldgendarmerie Impression

Moderator: Feldjager

buzzard

Feldgendarmerie Impression

Post by buzzard »

Am wanting to do correct Fg impression. They say a little knowledge is dangerous, and I've been reading on the subject, so look out. I read Heer Fg wore the same uniforms as regular Heer. Does that mean splinter tunic is acceptable? If an allied weapon was used in a front, is it feasable that the Fg might use it as a captured weapon since part of their job was to go around and collect from the dead etc.? eg, M97 shotgun from MP or partisians, or Ppsh41. Would the Fg keep any weapons to use, or would the unit they were attached to confiscate them and say with a Ppsh in the W. Front and send it back to the Russ. Front. I'm sure I'll come up with other questions later. Thanks for any help.
KB Martinsen

Re: Feldgendarmerie Impression

Post by KB Martinsen »

Hi and welcome to the forum Buzzard,
I'd recommend joining an established group that can show you the ropes so to speak. These guys for example (some of whom are also members here): http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk/

Using 'captured' weapons and so on isn't always the way forward as you really want to portray the norm rather than the exceptions to the rule. Hope this is of help to you.

Regards
KB
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

No no no NO NO NO no no no no no
(please read above ;one 20 times then continue)
Buzzard
Please get a standard wool Heer uniform. Get it right and get it complete. Then add FG badges and waffenfarbe. Purchase a K98 as it will stand you in good stead for everything else as it is a standard issue weapon. Forget Splinter Tunics, PPSH, pistols, exotic medals and all that other malarkey.

Do it once and do it right.....

Endex.
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

Do I idisregard a Luftwaffe Lt. who said he saw Fg heer camo in Hungary and Berlin? It's amazing how much info or mis info is available. Civil War impressions were never this confusing.
Viktor Kauer

Post by Viktor Kauer »

As PD says, wool is the way forward for an accurate impression, why would police need to be camouflaged? They had glow-in-the-dark gorgets just so that they could be seen, at checkpoints etc.

Sure there may be the odd example you hear about, but always aim to portray the rule not the exception, as you're more likely to get it right.

Also, as far as I'm aware, the 'splinter tunic' you mentioned is either a tailored item from Zeltbahn material or just fantasy, if in the future you have the undying desire for camo, just go for a pullover smock or helmet cover, but then you're leaning more towards an infantry impression.

Good luck with your impression!

Kauer
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

I think I understand, go with the norm and not the exception. We do living history and tacticals. Should the norm include "tactical" events we do not necessarily open to the public? Our Fg has the option to go into "battle" with the trpe or do Fg type stuff. Thanks for all the help. Sounds like you guys across the water have bigger events than us. I'd really be interested in seeing what y'all do.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

We do things like this; http://www.nickhalling.co.uk/ navigate to 'archive' 'archive 2009' 'Victory show 2'
that should give you an idea. In fact any of Nick sections on re-enacting should help.
Captain_Cogle

Post by Captain_Cogle »

buzzard wrote:Do I idisregard a Luftwaffe Lt. who said he saw Fg heer camo in Hungary and Berlin? It's amazing how much info or mis info is available. Civil War impressions were never this confusing.
Thats because 99.9% of American Silly War reenactors are doing it WRONG WRONG WRONG.
I quit the hobby after 16 years and a heavy part of that was disgust with the outlandish farbs who thought the Confederate army was in rags and wore "whatever" contrary to the fact that the various CS armies had various suppliers and depots and many regiments had individual uniforms until 1863. Dont even get me started on the "Captured from a dead yankee" crap.
Some sort of cultural obsession with Civil War reenactors and disregarding all historical fact evidence and photographs.

The guys here are giving WONDROUS advice. Always go for common. Hard to go wrong with a Wool uniform and a K98 rifle.

The new guy shutting up now.

Yours,
Hunter Cogle
former 1st Texas Infantry Company G.
barryG

Post by barryG »

It is very hard to find photos of FG with Ppsh41s, Ive a few photos of SD and SS with them in Poland though. I have one myself, I know its controversial but its a great talking point, the public all seem to know its Russian and the kids love them!

Return to “Feldgendarmerie”