My Replica Enigma

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

Hauser

My Replica Enigma

Post by Hauser »

I have always had a passion for the Enigma machines, But they have aways been slightly out of my Price bracket ! ...lol :lol: :lol:

so just after Christmas i decided to have a go at an Enigma for my radio impression, so i found as many measurements and pictures i could find, and had a go, I am only 3/4 way through and was not going to post but decided to put it up so it can be seen partially built , anyone interested can have a chat at Tutbury, on avoiding some of my pitfalls, I scrounged most of the bits from my scrap box the wood was an old solid wood shelf ( from the 40s ) total cost to date is £17.00 thanks Rich

Ps i am just starting an electronic enigma ....and going to box it like an ww2 one this one will talk and decript from a genuine one. :)

AFRA member
Jonny

Re: My Replica Enigma

Post by Jonny »

Great work! I am interested in seeing the end product! I am surprised no is making repros!

Regards
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jonny :D

I think there is a guy that will build one to order ...but its quite expensive ...around £1000 ish ??? :shock:
AFRA member
Gebirgsziege

Post by Gebirgsziege »

That is pretty stunning so far! Don't be shy about further progress reports.

Might I suggest that you make more than one at a time? The excess machine(s) could be then traded or sold off so as to reimburse your expenses....Just a thought.

David
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Hi David thanks for comments, It never entered my head on knocking a few up, your prob right, looks like im going to be busy over the next few months ..LOL :D the MK 2 will be a fully functioning Enigma,
AFRA member
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

hauser
you are doing a great job guv

you are allways welcome to come over and take measurements of mine when we are at a show together
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

That would be fantastic Les, thanks for the kind offer...! i have just re-done the horse shoe dial indicator as it was wrong, and started on the lamp board today, its very time consuming as every bit is in steel and alloy and its hard going LOL :lol: the front plug board is this weeks job, its going to be very tedious making up all the plugs from scratch, Then the whole lots got to be re-sprayed in crackle finish....anyway thanks again Les for your kind offer of measurements ...thanks Rich

AFRA member
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Bit more work done, Just got the keyboard to sort and the plug board to fit, then all most done :)

AFRA member
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Jonny they do mate have a look here http://www.enigma-replica.com/

I seem to remember either Epic or Anthony Hole had one for sale a couple of years ago probobly Epic i think.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Hey, great progress!

Thanks for the link I will have a good look through it!
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

From what i can work out they only re-furb or sell parts ....well and machines ! (on commission i think ?)

prices are very expensive ! $75 for 10 torch bulbs WTF ? :shock: :shock: :shock: i was going to order some ID plates till i looked at the prices, good if there for a genuine machine, but expensive for a replica, DIY job ?
AFRA member
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

I compleated the plug board and fitted it in but it req a little more paint touch - ups and a few more screws .... took 5 hours to cut and shape the plugs ...phew ! :shock:

AFRA member
f.knieriemen

Post by f.knieriemen »

Great!!!! I'm always impressed by such excelent handworks!
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Thank you for you kind words, Richard
AFRA member
adykingadrian

Post by adykingadrian »

Mauser,

Fantastic work- any more pictures of it yet. It's fantastic watching it progress along :D :D

Keep up the brilliant work.
Ady

Return to “Radio/signals”