"Operation Market Garden" Commemorative Event 13/14Sept2008

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
DAS MEDIC

Re: "Operation Market Garden" Commemorative Event 13/14Sept2008

Post by DAS MEDIC »

Hoffman Grink wrote:It's up at the top Nick where we strafed the haystacks!!!! The setting is just as spectacular as the trenches...... And unique in as much as it is two seperate areas joined by a road.

Oh - Did I mention you're in charge of the medics?????? :shock:
cooool, yes i did know,you posted earlier on here for all medical units to get in touch...still waiting for the rush :roll:

cant wait to see the site plan and layout of the battlefield
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

manager to real german hairdresser

http://www.motorcyclemedics.page.tl
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

This is now on the AFRA events calendar here
Op Market Garden Event
and if you click the title hyperlink you get a fully interactive map showing the location.

This will, like all events on the AFRA Calendar be updated regularly with information as we receive it.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

For the battle side of things
Will the following group head shed please contact Simon Wright and obtain a booking form?
FJR2,
FJR3
FJR6
FJStugBr XII

Sani Abt
KP1
Tiger-1
Soldat 44
Der Fuhrer
the SBG rep for their party

116 Windhund,
GD PzGR
GD PzFs
85 Gebirg

Get your booking forms returned chaps and we can start the ball rolling.
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

wheres us :shock: ...well me.................................................and micky of course :roll: :lol:
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

:?:
You must need spectacles Nicholas my good friend!

:oops: (I added it later........)
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

Hoffman Grink wrote::?:
You must need spectacles Nicholas my good friend!

:oops: (I added it later........)
the power of editing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerz :wink:
"every dog has its' day"

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Bit off topic
Got your stuff when I got in this morning
Will post cards this evening....... rush job as nipping to a certain gents of your acquaintance.... :wink:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

LATEST UPDATE

From Simon - co-organiser with Steve...
Parachute Drop:
I can now confirm that we will be having a parachute drop by the 82nd Airborne, this is the first time that the 82nd Airborne have jumped on UK soil since the Second World War. We met with current members of the 82nd Airborne this week to discuss the drop zones etc. and 40 of them in full kit will be jumping in 2 passes of 20 per pass.
Aircraft:
The “Fly Past” magazine is supporting the event. We have the following aircraft Spitfire, Mustang, C47 Dakota, B17 Flying Fortress (Sally B), Auster, Piper Cub, C17 Globemaster, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (to name but a few) all doing displays on both days. There will also be static displays of period aircraft. We also have a number of smaller light aircraft flying in on the weekend.
Entertainment:
Tickets for the Saturday night dance featuring Ray McVay and the Glenn Miller Orchestra are now available. Tickets are priced at £13.50 each or £10.00 each to re-enactors displaying at the event. We have 1200 allocated and they are selling fast, for all ticket enquiries contact Steve Barker on 01780 755514 (day) or 01780 756862 (evening).
The Ockbrook Big Band and Lola Lamour will be entertaining in the main marquee during the day.
Remembrance Service:
A remembrance service will be held on the Sunday morning accompanied by the British Parachute Regiment Band. This will follow with a memorial flypast. Displays:
Loads of vehicles and re-enactment displays are booked in; we have some really good thought-out displays too and some pretty unusual vehicles attending.
Re-enactment Battle:
An Arnhem themed re-enactment battle will take place on both days, it is hoped that we can start the battle with a parachute drop from a C47 Dakota recreating one of the drop zones. This will be confirmed soon and more details on the battle will emerge as the planning takes place.
Veterans:
The 315th TCG veterans and immediate families will be attendance again; a colleague is attending a 315th reunion in the States next week to clarify on numbers. The current 315th ALW will be bringing all the veterans and media over from the States in a C17 Globemaster. They are in talks with the 82nd Airborne veterans with regard to attending the event and we shall know numbers once in the next week or so.
Media:
The CNN, BBC America and the History Channel along with local news and radio channels will be attending the event. The American coverage will start with the veterans in the States as it did with Operation Spanhoe 2005.
Charities:
All proceeds will be given to the following charities, The Royal British Legion, Help for Heroes and various other locally based charities. All of the above charities will be in attendance at the event.

Booking forms and information are available from the website http://www.operationmarketgarden2008.co.uk alternatively, you can contact me and I will send booking forms to you. If you require any further information don’t hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Simon Wright

Email: enquiries-opmarketgarden@hotmail.co.uk
Martin Webster

Post by Martin Webster »

This sounds bloody amazing, i can't wait lol.
Martin Ernst

Kp.2-PzGren.Rgt.60-116.Pz.Div "Der Windhund"
http://www.windhund.org.uk
The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
(Murphy's Law)
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

This is looking very good chaps. Well done to all.
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Simon Wright

Post by Simon Wright »

Hello,

We have a committee meeting this evening as one of the committee members has just returned from the States and should have some more good news regarding the veterans and news teams attending the event. I will post all the updates to keep you informed as they become available.

The website (http://www.operationmarketgarden2008.co.uk) should be updated in the next week or so with all up-to-date information. You can download booking forms from the website or alternatively, contact me direct and I will send them to you by post or email.

Thanks to PD for opening this topic and keeping you informed so far.

Regards,
Simon
Simon Wright

Post by Simon Wright »

Hello,

As of 21st June we have the following veterans attending the show, this is at present and we are anticipating more coming forward in the next couple of weeks:

Robert L Cloer, Robert was 1 of the 3 315th pilots assigned to taking Glenn miller and his Orchestra to various events in the UK and Europe. Robert was flying 1 of the 3 C47’s that took off from Spanhoe Airfield and landed at Twinwoods Airfield. It was from Twinwoods Airfield that they took off (or not!) on the ill-fated flight to Paris.

6 x 504th 82nd American Airborne paratrooper veterans that were billeted in Leicester and flew from Spanhoe airfield on 17th September 1944 into Nijmegen.

6 x British Airborne Engineers that were billeted at Glaston and flew from Spanhoe airfield.

1 x 1st Independent Polish paratrooper veteran that was billeted in Easton on the Hill (near Stamford) and flew from Spanhoe airfield on 21st September 1944 into Grave. He was on board 1 of only 3 C47’s that made it after the rest aborted due to serious bad weather.

7 x 315th Troop Carrier Group C47 Dakota pilots that were based at Spanhoe airfield. These guys flew the American, British & Polish Paratroopers into Holland for Operation Market Garden.

1 x Nurse that was based at Spanhoe airfield and then moved to Cottesmore in late 1944.

All of the veterans are being flown from America by current serving 315th Air-Lift Wing personnel in a C17 Globemaster, they are landing at a nearby RAF base (I cant give to much away!!!). Many of their immediate families are coming with them. The 40 current serving 82nd American Airborne paratroopers that will be doing the parachute drop will be travelling with them also.

We are running an editorial/article in some major magazines soon appealing for British veterans to come forward and be invited to the event. If you know of any that would like to come along (free of charge) please get in touch with me asap.

Regards,
Simon
Simon Wright

Post by Simon Wright »

Hi all,

Up to date information regarding the Operation Market Garden 2008 event:

Weekend Programme

Saturday 13th (Daytime)

1000am – Gates open
1030am – Model aircraft display
1045am – Air raid scenario
1115am – Artillery field gun & armoured vehicle support display
1200am – Model aircraft display
1200pm – Ockbrook Big Band & Miss Lola Lamour performing in the main marquee
1245pm – Football match featuring the Laxworth Rovers v’s Spanhoe Strollers
1400pm – Air display
1430pm – Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
1445pm – Re-enactment battle scenario
1530pm – Kettering Navy Cadets Parade
1545pm – Air display
1700pm – Gates close

Saturday 13th (Evening)
1900pm – Main marquee opens for evening entertainment
1930pm – Ray McVay and the Glenn Miller Orchestra

Sunday 14th (Daytime)

0900am – Gates open
1000am – Memorial parade and service in the main marquee
1140am – Memorial air display
1200pm – Miss Lola Lamour performing in the main marquee
1220pm – Artillery field gun & armoured vehicle support display
1300pm – Baseball match featuring the Laxworth Rovers v’s Spanhoe Strollers
1330pm – British Parachute Regiment Band performing in the main marquee
1400pm – Air display
1445pm – Re-enactment battle scenario
1545pm – Air display
1700pm – Gates close

The Aircraft display consists of an Auster, Cub, Spitfire (x2), Messerschmitt (dog fight with the Spitfire), Mustang (x2), Focke Wulf (air raid with the Auster), Slingsby, C47 (x2), Pitts, Yak 3, Yak 11, Vampire, Schlepp, Alcyon and hopefully the C17 (if we get permission!).

The Static Aircraft display consists of an Auster (x3), Cub (x2), Spitfire (x2), Focke Wulf, Waco Glider and hopefully a C47 Dakota (we are still working on it. There will also be several static displays of modern aircraft.
Please note: obviously, all aircraft displays are subject to availability, serviceability and weather.

The Artillery field gun & armoured vehicle support display consists of 75mm Airborne Pack Howitzers, 6 pounder, 25 pounder, M3A1 Stuart Tank & a M16 Half Track .50 cal quad mount. These will manoeuvre into the display area, deploy, fire and then be removed. This will be a show for the public and re-enactors alike.

The Re-enactment Battle consists of an Arnhem based battle scenario featuring a drop form the C47 Dakota to start the battle. More details to follow as we are still finalising this.

The Veterans consist of Robert L Cloer, Robert was 1 of the 3 315th pilots assigned to taking Glenn miller and his Orchestra to various events in the UK and Europe. Robert was flying 1 of the 3 C47’s that took off from Spanhoe Airfield and landed at Twinwoods Airfield. It was from Twinwoods Airfield that they took off on the ill-fated flight to Paris. 6 x 504th 82nd American Airborne paratrooper veterans that were billeted in Leicester and flew from Spanhoe airfield on 17th September 1944 into Nijmegen. 6 x British Airborne Engineers that were billeted at Glaston and flew from Spanhoe airfield. 1 x 1st Independent Polish paratrooper veteran that was billeted in Easton on the Hill (near Stamford) and flew from Spanhoe airfield on 21st September 1944 into Grave. He was on board 1 of only 3 C47’s that made it after the rest aborted due to serious bad weather. 7 x 315th Troop Carrier Group C47 Dakota pilots that were based at Spanhoe airfield. These guys flew the American, British & Polish Paratroopers into Holland for Operation Market Garden. 1 x Nurse that was based at Spanhoe airfield and then moved to Cottesmore in late 1944.
Since our appeal we have a number of British Veterans come forward many of which have strong links with Spanhoe and will be attending the event. All of the American veterans are being flown from America by current serving 315th Air-Lift Wing personnel in a C17 Globemaster, they are landing at a nearby RAF base. Many of their immediate families are coming with them.

The Entertainment consists of The Ockbrook Big Band performing on the Saturday daytime from midday; Miss Lola Lamour will be performing throughout the weekend. The Saturday Night Dance features Ray McVay and the Glenn Miller Orchestra, tickets are still available (£10 for re-enactment groups booked in) but are selling fast; all this takes place in the main marquee. There are several professional dance groups also performing in the main marquee.

The Displays & Exhibits consist of British, American, Polish, German, Home Guard, WVS, Land Army. The Land Army displays will incorporate working tractors and steam. I am really pleased with the amount of effort that the groups attending this event have put in so far. The military and civilian exhibits are pouring in.

The football & baseball match consists of well you will have to wait and see. It will be a nice surprise and a real giggle!.

The Museum Hangar display consists of several local museums contributing their memorabilia on Spanhoe and the surrounding area during WW2.

Keith Hill Studios: Keith Hill has commissioned a painting which is being unveiled at the event. He has worked with a number of the Spanhoe veterans to create this painting and there will be several veterans signing this over the weekend.

George Cholewczynskiz: George has written a book which will also be unveiled at the event. The book is called Spanhoe-September and details the Airfield and what is was like with the 315th TCG. There is a limited amount of 315 copies and several of them will be signed.

All the others: we have tank rides, trade stalls, food stalls, agricultural vehicles and displays.

Contact me if you require any further information (I think I have covered everything!) or if you require booking forms for the event.

Kind regards,

Simon
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Can representatives of the following groups please contact Simon Wright if attending and BOOK IN. You need to confirm attendance and give him names and numbers of those participating in the battle.

Understandably I'm at Victory 4 days, Work three days then straight to OMG for four days......
I don't wipe arses in any case.....

Tiger-1
SBG element
FJR2
FJR6
PzFs GD
PzGR GD

Thank you.
meyer

Post by meyer »

After the last minute ending of the victory show by the weather the question has to be asked is this one still on?

Return to “UK reenactment and events”