Impressions based on real people?

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Ropes

Impressions based on real people?

Post by Ropes »

Does anyone here reenact an actual person? By that I mean not a character you created but a person who actually existed. Been thinking of basing an impression on an actual person since before I gave up reenactment but wasnt sure if it was done that often.
Stigroadie

Re: Impressions based on real people?

Post by Stigroadie »

Nick Beardshaw has done several in his time. U-boat commanders and his current Adolf Galland spring to mind. They always look good to me.
There are no end of Joachim Peipers of varying quality, a binocular Claus von Stauffenberg and even Heinrich Himmler have been seen. Several Rommels, Hitler and a whole staff of General Officers float about the scene. Many are more fancy dress than impressions.
There is a young chap who does a Forrest Guth impression that is haunting in its completeness.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Cheers Stig. My planned impression isnt of one of the big names as such. Maybe if I get some spare money towards the end of the year ill slowly start putting it together.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Ropes wrote:Does anyone here reenact an actual person? By that I mean not a character you created but a person who actually existed. Been thinking of basing an impression on an actual person since before I gave up reenactment but wasnt sure if it was done that often.
Hi Ropes glad to see a post from you since you gave up the reenactment bug :)

Ive done a few (including three outfits of Peiper lol), since then i put together a Werner Molders
portrayal, Micheal Wittmann and a portrayal of the "unknown" famous SS-Grenadier/Ardennes pic,
everybody has seen this photograph but nobody knows this guys name, it has been featured on countless
books/articles,

Also recently i had put together a portrayal of (Wild) Bill Guarnere from the 101st which consists of the Normandy
portrayal and the later War one (M43 outfit), including all personal kit.

Anyway good luck with your new project Ropes, regards Pipes :wink:
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Like I said it wont be of one of the "Well known" faces as such and not even sure if it will see the light of day. I just want a well made and accurate portrayal of a particular person. Im not in any rush to put it together. Good job as finding A quality tunic wont be easy (or cheap) aswell as getting all the other required items like GJ boots will be a pretty penny aswell. But if im guna do it then its guna be right and will take time and money.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Ropes wrote:Like I said it wont be of one of the "Well known" faces as such and not even sure if it will see the light of day. I just want a well made and accurate portrayal of a particular person. Im not in any rush to put it together. Good job as finding A quality tunic wont be easy (or cheap) aswell as getting all the other required items like GJ boots will be a pretty penny aswell. But if im guna do it then its guna be right and will take time and money.
Yes fair play mate, thats what i did when i put together the "Wild Bill" portrayal, i went into it
in more detail, not just the outfit as i did with the others and most out there do but managed
to get together all original personal kit even down to ration/cigarette boxes, plus different equipment
/clothing for the time factors (when equipment/clothing was changed/updated for later issue items) the
same as my SS-Grenadier portrayal i went into detail especially with personal items !!!

As i said it was time consuming and expensive but worth it in the end as my load-out now for 101st Airborne
(Bill Guarnere) is spot on and cannot be faulted, good luck with your project anyway, regards Pipes :wink:
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Peiper wrote:and cannot be faulted
Never say cannot, people start to look for faults.
Nothing is faultless.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Stigroadie wrote:
Peiper wrote:and cannot be faulted
Never say cannot, people start to look for faults.
Nothing is faultless.
Yes your right Stig, as i said it has been viewed on here originally and when
i first posted pics of the "Wild Bill" impression there were people who pointed
out faults, but not faults exactly, just i had too much gear such as camo scarf,
Para gloves, 1911, rubber gasmask bag etc but all that now has been taken away.

The portrayal is based EXACTLY on one ive seen in the US Paratrooper book, also
some research into what Wild Bill carried/wore and weapon preferance etc, but by
pointing out the "faults" at the beginning my portrayal got better and better, infact
in addition i also contacted Bill Guarnere personally on facebook (he is listed as a friend)
and asked his advice on personal equipment etc and even sent him a finished portrayal
pic for his seal of approval :wink:

Cheers Pipes
GFM manstein

Post by GFM manstein »

i do a exact re-enactment of mansteins uniform down to the last detail all copied from the feldmarschalls original uniform that is owned by a mate in the usa and he sent me detailed photos of the tunic, hat and awards. i got the medal ribbon bar espically made in australia as well as the neck order of micheal the brave and the all gold shoulder boards correct for manstein as a feldmarschall instead of the gold and silver as other generals and some feldmarschalls wore.

most people have said that i do a bloody good re-enactment, but some are bound to disagree.

i am currently working on getting a uniform together for luftwaffe generalfeldmarschall dr (ing) wolfram freiherr (baron) von richthofen who worked alongside manstein in russia and was chief of staff of the legion condor
scott p vallins
Heer Generalfeldmarschall Erich von Manstein
Luftwaffe Generalfeldmarschall Dr(ing) Wolfram von Richthofen
SS Obergruppenfuhrer unt Gerneral der waffen SS Paul 'Papa' Hausser
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Very Impressive. I plan to do a similar portrayal with regards to level of accuracy. Im just not sure if I want it to see the light of day. So the plan is to just slowly put it together and if I feel its time for it to be seen then I may one day attend an event wearing it.
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

Does anyone here reenact an actual person?
I reenacted Alfred Minchin for several years (with the permission of his grandaughter Katie)
I only stopped recently because I am now too old to continue with it.
Bill and Alfred.JPG
Bill and Alfred.JPG (71.62 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
Obersalzberg

Post by Obersalzberg »

Being the boss is fun....Erwin plus mobile...yes, he didnt have a DK, thats original, and looks too nice to remove
Attachments
IMAG0844.jpg
IMAG0844.jpg (120.38 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

My portrayal will be based in early 45 and will have Silver Wound Badge,Iron cross first and second class, Infantry assualt and Knights Cross field alterd from an Iron Cross. Id like to use Original IC ribbon if I can get some. The bling is one of the reasons I will possibly not let my portrayal see the light of day. Awards are just insane right now. W&P just gets more and more ridiculous every year. People walking around in gash through together kit wearing KCs and gold ccc's. Its a joke. Not sure I want to be encouraging the idiots even if its with a very accurate portrayal.
Halle

Post by Halle »

I agree with you wholeheartedly ropes , but if you're doing a specific person .... I'm intrigued , as you mentioned GJ Boots . Not many people do in this country , never mind the higher ranks ( other than Mr James Brown ) .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Halle wrote:I agree with you wholeheartedly ropes , but if you're doing a specific person .... I'm intrigued , as you mentioned GJ Boots . Not many people do in this country , never mind the higher ranks ( other than Mr James Brown ) .
I had a pretty good GJ portrayal up untill about 18 months ago when I gave up reenactment. I dont think ive got the Reenactment bug back per se. But its my personal field of intrest and so not being able to give up entirely doesnt come as a suprise. Looking back theres certain parts of my kit I wish I hadent sold. But I suppose it can all be replaced over time. My portrayal deffinately wont be a higher rank if I ever does happen.

Return to “General”