My Torn. Fu.D2

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

pzrwest

My Torn. Fu.D2

Post by pzrwest »

Here are some pics of my Torn. Fu. D2. It's just a dummy radio but I have hidden a tape mechanism that i removed from a delco car radio and put the amplifier from an old set of computer speakers as well. I put a micro switch on the inside that is activated by the selector lever. The volume button is connected to the control on the amp. The headphone jacks are active as well as the extention speaker jack. The radio receives it's power through the power connector through a cable and plug from the battery backpack. The tunning dials turn by the nobs on the panel. Here is the link to the radio construction. I will be updateing more pics of the "guts" of my radio
http://www.angelfire.com/on4/schultzsgt/radio.html
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Nice - regarding the dials - Can you not mock them up on a computer and get them printed out and laminated to give the "behind glass" effect?

Looks good and with suitable radio traffic tapes will make a very good addition to a display.
pzrwest

dials

Post by pzrwest »

If I could get a cpl fisheye lenses the numbers would be magnified more. The dials do turn in the windows and i have magnifying glasses in the windows but fisheye lenses would be better. I have about 2-3 hours of recorded german period music and radio programs. I also have some radio traffic as well. Just have to record onto tape. It's easy to reach up inside and switch the tapes.
pzrwest

Torn.F.D2 Update

Post by pzrwest »

Well my radio is almost finished now just have to finish the mic and the morse key and add the shoulder straps. I will be constructing the front covers for the radio and the battery unit later. Starting to come together. I'm pleased with the way the radio has progressed. The main power for the radio is supplied by the lead acid battery. It conceals a 12 volt gel cell the two Pertrix batteries are just empty dummy batteries. When this radio unit is completed I will start construction of another unit it will be a Torn.E.B here's the link to the newest pics http://www.angelfire.com/on4/schultzsgt/radio.html
Kurt Schulte

Re: My Torn. Fu.D2

Post by Kurt Schulte »

My apologies for resurrecting such an old post, but it is great to find a thread with the construction one of these reproductions. I have been interested in building a Torn Radio replica but not sure where to get started. I have a supplier for the faceplate and fish eye globes. Does anyone know where I can find the antenna and power cord pieces?
I will hopefully have one of these completed by next Lowell Indiana US event next spring.
Thanks
Kurt
Obergefreiter Kurt Schulte
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
Kaben

Post by Kaben »

Kurt Schulte wrote:My apologies for resurrecting such an old post, but it is great to find a thread with the construction one of these reproductions. I have been interested in building a Torn Radio replica but not sure where to get started. I have a supplier for the faceplate and fish eye globes. Does anyone know where I can find the antenna and power cord pieces?
I will hopefully have one of these completed by next Lowell Indiana US event next spring.
Thanks
Kurt
Out of interest - where are your sourcing the front faceplate from?
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

I have the contect details for a guy in the US who makes resin fronts with te rest of the kit to make one up He also does EB resin fronts
Brad Blondet - Blondetbm@msn.com
Last edited by PanzerMart on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Surrender. Your Honour lies in victory or death
Kurt Schulte

Post by Kurt Schulte »

Follow these two Ebay sellers:
mgteam or mycarisapieceofcrap

Both sell faceplates, and some accessories. I have currently located almost every piece I need, Just looking for a resin Microphone.
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
Kaben

Post by Kaben »

Thansk for the help guys! :)

Do any of you know the box dimensions for the radio?

And a long shot - does anyone know the font used for the dial labels on the radios?
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

Kaben wrote:Thansk for the help guys! :)

And a long shot - does anyone know the font used for the dial labels on the radios?
Brad gives you a full fact sheet with everything you need on it with the radio.
Kaben

Post by Kaben »

PanzerMart wrote:
Kaben wrote:Thansk for the help guys! :)

Brad gives you a full fact sheet with everything you need on it with the radio.
Im tempted to actually scratch build one rather than use the faceplate - i just have no idea of the dimensions. ANy help on this would be gratefully received!
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

Ill measure mine up and post them tommorrow for you.
Kaben

Post by Kaben »

PanzerMart wrote:Ill measure mine up and post them tommorrow for you.
Thankyou - you are very kind :)
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

Outer box measurements are 170mm deep x 320mm wide x 385mm high
Kurt Schulte

Post by Kurt Schulte »

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the microphone for the Fu D2?
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA

Return to “Radio/signals”