SS Dirlewanger Survivers to be charged

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
Gren-Schell

Re: SS Dirlewanger Survivers to be charged

Post by Gren-Schell »

Mike Only the Gold was = to the Knights cross it came in three grades Bronze , Silver and gold
If that is indeed the case, then I stand corrected! :D
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
kiler

Post by kiler »

Gren-Schell wrote: I admire your patriotism Kiler, and I am definitely not defending this unit in the slightest. They were animals. However, the German leader considered the Close Combat Clasp, to be a much higher award than the Knights Cross; he awarded these for numerous reasons. But the clasp was awarded for close combat, up and personal and was highly prized (and relatively rare).

We digress, I agree that basically, they were a unit of second-rate criminals, and if some of them have been tracked down, and are linked to atrocities, then they should be put in front of the courts like anyone else

I wouldn`t call it patriotism Gren-Schell, it is just a common sense - if they would murder thousands of British civilians I would write exactly the same thing.

Moreover, I didn`t hear about any other "brave actions" of that pedophile Dirlewanger, that could earn him Knights Cross on 30th of September 1944 (the last days of Uprising).
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Apparantly there is a photo of Oskar Dirlewanger in the Warsaw War museum being
tortured by his own men, before being "rescued" by Allied troops where he later died
of injuries in captivity, so perhaps his men had some good points heh heh :lol:

Pipes
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Peiper wrote:Apparantly there is a photo of Oskar Dirlewanger in the Warsaw War museum being
tortured by his own men, before being "rescued" by Allied troops where he later died
of injuries in captivity, so perhaps his men had some good points heh heh :lol:

Pipes
Herr Peiper he was said to of Died at the Hands of the French who held him Prisoner , try and get hold of the book cruel hunters has a lot of info on the said unit
ImageImageImageImageImage
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

I read that he died in the hands of Polish guards?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

paulmfjr2 wrote:I read that he died in the hands of Polish guards?
Could be those guys then I cant remember
kiler

Post by kiler »

paulmfjr2 wrote:I read that he died in the hands of Polish guards?
That is also what I`ve heard - he wasn`t recognized at first, but when they discovered his true identity ... well, at least that one didn`t manage to rest in peace in Brasilian jungle.
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

From memory I think he was captured in French occupied/controlled territory by Polish soldiers - the French ordered him to be taken to a prison near Ravensburg. He died from injuries received at the hands of his captors in early June (he'd already been seriously injured earlier that year) though I can't remember whether he was held by French or Polish forces; given the testimonies later given at Nuremberg against the unit, it's possible to see, with hindsight, why events unfolded as they did.

The Warsaw Uprising Museum (http://www.1944.pl/en ) did publish a list of known living Direlwanger survivors who participated in the Wola massacre a couple of years ago.
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
JDR

Post by JDR »

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=764

The guy with the the mp40 in the above photo is it the same guy with the close combat badge?
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Apparantly there was supposed to be a photograph of him being tortured by men of his own unit
it used to be displayed at the Warsaw War museum but was removed for being too graphic?, he was
rescued by Free Polish troops then died later in captivity of wounds recieved from his own men, this
is going from an article i read in a WW2 French Military magazine some years ago ??

Ive added this next bit as an after thought?, nobody hears about the "Kaminski Brigade"?,
for those who don't know the Kaminski Brigade were on the same level of brutality and
destruction as the Dirlewanger Brigade, infact both so called "Brigades" were let loose on
Warsaw in 44 where they wreaked havoc and terror!.

It was led by the ex Russian deserter named Bronislav Kaminski who rose to the rank of
SS-Brigadefuhrer and tried to outdo his "rival" Dirlewanger on levels of "nastiness", i know
Kaminski was executed by the Reich in late 44 but appears his "men" escaped justice as
nothing was ever written about what happened to them after the War, any thoughts
gentlemen??

Pipes
Seanebabes

Post by Seanebabes »

For a brief history of Dirlewanger and his brigade try wikipedia, seems largely accurate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Dirlewanger
You should find links to brief histories of Kaminski brigade as well… words like ‘scum’ spring to mind, can’t think why.
For a history of the Warsaw uprising of Summer 1944 try Norman Davies excellent book ‘Rising ‘44’. Also this web site has lots of interesting (and disturbing) stuff.
http://www.warsawuprising.com/
A friend of mine was telling me a few years ago that the Poles who killed Dirlewanger tortured him to death over several days (including slowly roasting him over a fire) by the use of morphine to prevent him from dying too quickly. Ordinarily I would have said that that was out of order regardless of what the victim had done, but in this case I’m thinking fair play, if it was true. I say if as I’ve never been able to track down a source, but I like to think that he got some of what he deserved.
As for these chaps about to be charged, if they were part of Dirlewanger Brigade then I say throw the book at them. Those guys were the lowest of some very low sorry excuses for human beings.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Seanebabes wrote:For a brief history of Dirlewanger and his brigade try wikipedia, seems largely accurate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Dirlewanger
You should find links to brief histories of Kaminski brigade as well… words like ‘scum’ spring to mind, can’t think why.
For a history of the Warsaw uprising of Summer 1944 try Norman Davies excellent book ‘Rising ‘44’. Also this web site has lots of interesting (and disturbing) stuff.
http://www.warsawuprising.com/
A friend of mine was telling me a few years ago that the Poles who killed Dirlewanger tortured him to death over several days (including slowly roasting him over a fire) by the use of morphine to prevent him from dying too quickly. Ordinarily I would have said that that was out of order regardless of what the victim had done, but in this case I’m thinking fair play, if it was true. I say if as I’ve never been able to track down a source, but I like to think that he got some of what he deserved.
As for these chaps about to be charged, if they were part of Dirlewanger Brigade then I say throw the book at them. Those guys were the lowest of some very low sorry excuses for human beings.
Yes thats right the picture showed him being roasted on a spit his face apparantly was visible amongst the flames lol,
but it was supposedly his own men that did the BBQ-ING?????? :D

PIPES
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Peiper wrote:Yes thats right the picture showed him being roasted on a spit his face apparantly was visible amongst the flames lol,
but it was supposedly his own men that did the BBQ-ING?????? :D

PIPES
Herr PIPES I think that you migh be wrong on this one
I little under done Dirlewanger
with his gaurds
On the February 15th, Dirlewanger was seriously injured in combat for the twelfth time. Oskar Dirlewanger was recovering from his last wound at a hospital in Althausen, Bavaria, at the end of the war. On June 1st, 1945, French occupation forces used Polish soldiers in their service to forcibly bring him to the Althausen jail. Dirlewanger was beaten and tortured over the next several days. He died under torture from the Polish guards during the night of June 4-5. This information was suppressed at the time, and this led to many fantastic stories of sightings of him all over the world. He was something of a Nazi version of Bigfoot with sightings of him everywhere. He was said to have served in the French Foreign legion at Dien Bien Phu, or spotted in Paraguay teaching at the military academy, or even as an advisor to the CIA-backed dictator General Mohammed Naguib in Egypt. These stories however were put to an end when his remains were exhumed at Althausen and identified in 1960. His troubled soul is buried there in a plainly marked grave.
Sources

Thomas L. Jentz - Panzertruppen Vol 2: 1943-1945

French L. MacLean - The Cruel Hunters: SS-Sonder-Kommando Dirlewanger Hitler's Most Notorious Anti-Partisan Unit

Read more at Suite101: SS General Dr. Oskar Dirlewanger: Butcher of the Eastern Front and Leader of madmen http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/art ... z0foQcb1rI
Photos from here
http://www.histoquiz-contemporain.com/H ... ssiers.htm
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Franz, your post should end confusion over what may or may not have happened to him.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Thanks Franz and Tyschen, i was just quoting from a magazine article i saw some years ago
anyway as i say i do not know myself because i wasn't there lol!
Here are some pics :)
Oskar_Dirlewanger.jpg
Oskar_Dirlewanger.jpg (5.62 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
The attachment 180px-Bronislav_Kaminski_2.jpg is no longer available
Pipes

Return to “Anything WWII!”