Paul Merton in Europe

Moderator: Pirkka

SchnellMeyer

Re: Paul Merton in Europe

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Thanks to all for your positive comments . It was a great to see that the media can show our hobby in a positive light . Sadly the media are not always kind to our hobby , thank you Paul Merton for doing justice to what you saw at the Duncannon show . At last all the hard work we have being doing is paying off , well done Joe & Emmet .
Hope to see you all in Duncannon again this year.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
TacAide

Post by TacAide »

Marlene Weissfeld wrote:i must say
i liked it - paul merton even seem to enjoy it at the end :D

i am really glad to see that telly CAN be nice to the hobby

micky
Generally WW2 events and Axis re-enactors have had a reasonably fair press in Ireland, for differing reasons. Last night's programme is a case in point and whatever else you may say about Paul Merton he is not a John Sweeney. Sweeney, as we all remember, deliberately sets out to provoke – he is reputed to have said that “There are three rules in journalism. First, find a crocodile. Two, poke it in the eye with a stick. Three, stand back and report what happens next." The likes of Sweeney are such that if they cannot find a ‘crocodile’ they will invent one.

Paul Merton on the other hand, reported what he saw, a group of military history enthusiasts re-enacting events from various periods, enjoying their hobby and providing Bank Holiday entertainment for the population of the area. I agree he obviously enjoyed the day he spent with the group, with not a ‘crocodile’, political or otherwise, in sight. That’s how it should be.

BGS is a well-managed Axis re-enactment group with a cadre that is experienced in both organising and controlling events and with a leadership that is both tactically and technically proficient in the military sense. The ‘double-act’ of Joe and Emmett shows just how closely BGS works with Allied side as part of the umbrella group MMVRA. Its that kind of leadership that created the circumstances that could allow the cameras in and ensure, in so far as you can with the media, a dignified portrayal of our hobby. Long may that last.

On a less positive note, this level of professionalism, if I might use the term, is not everyones cup of tea. Some are more comfortable in groups where the tail wags the dog, sometimes they move on, which is fine. But sometimes they don't, preferring to do a 'John Sweeney', stir up the proverbial and watch it hit the fan.

You expect every successful business, group, committee, association to have its detractors. Individuals with their own agenda driving wedges, engineering ‘hissy-fits’ and deliberately presenting ‘off-the-cuffs’ remarks after a few drinks as major ‘slights’, with the deliberate intention of creating ‘splits’.

It takes strong leadership to maintain a group’s cohesion in these circumstances and not allow the “little Napoleons” take over.

BGS has had its own experiences with these type of people over the past few years. Other than their innate ability to engineer ‘splits’ between and within groups, they are devoid of any real organisational ability or indeed, military experience. Their lack of any understanding of battle tactics and unwillingness to listen to advice, is often reflected in their attempts to recreate an impression of “the most professional military organisation the world has ever know”, usually with disastrous results.

Finally, the Duncannon event is the 'jewel-in-the-crown' of Irish re-enactment for all historical periods, its very success makes it a target for resentment by those less successful in their efforts. Several attempts have been made to sabotage it and unfortunately, these efforts continue as I write.

So for those of you on this forum who are regulars at the event or just thinking of coming, if you hear that 'Duncannon' is called-off or that the organisers have been arrested by the Gardai or the tax people have closed us down or that groups of ‘concerned citizens’ are after us about something or other – forget it, its all lies.

So thanks Paul, always welcome in the Rebel County of Cork. To all other interested parties - See you in June! :)
Irland-redaktion

Post by Irland-redaktion »

Congrats to our southern brethren, missed most of the programme and only caught the last 30 seconds (busy playing xbox with my 4 year old son), was glad to see the showed finished on a positive note.Thought Jimmy/Churchill looked the part, well done chaps. :)
ss peiper

Post by ss peiper »

Watched the programme and I must say, BGS done the hobby proud for us in Ireland, well done guys 8)

Joe.
Semi retired Grenadier
rommel

Post by rommel »

Jimmy / Churchill stole the show , classic

Rommel
ROMMEL
Komp.Kmdr Kampfgruppe Sud

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands largest German military vehicle and re-enactment group

TacAide

Post by TacAide »

For those who might be interested the Duncannon clip from the show is now up on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzo2qj8e2YE
Villy Vassel

Post by Villy Vassel »

Just saw this on Demand 5 , very good , great vehicle's ,Churchill looked great , but when he spoke :lol: that was amusing , still it was a good showcase for SS Reenactment , the crowd loved it, well done Lads. Villy
Irland-redaktion

Post by Irland-redaktion »

Thanks for posting the link Tony, first time i've got to see it. Went well being lighthearted and up beat throughout, thought Joe did an excellent job in the live interview.

Return to “Books, films & other media”