uniform camo italian

Moderator: supermario

mm1977

Re: uniform camo italian

Post by mm1977 »

Hi A.Weiss

I've got the same book and they must be the Post war derivatives.

Cheers

MM1977
Caen44

Post by Caen44 »

Dear A.Weiss,

first you tell us that it is a dealer who is selling the coverall on the right, now you telling us that it is a photo of the book Peterson, D., Waffen SS Camouflage uniforms & Post-War Derivatives, which is true. What kind of childish game is this?

Both are postwar. Left one is the typical and original italian army coveral used in the 70ties and 80ties by the italian army. You can see that also the camo pattern is totally different to the war time pattern. Pockets are on the side and not at the front of the trouser, where they have to be. You can buy them from time to time at ebay for 20 - 30 Euros.
Right is...well, I really don´t know what kind of thing the right one is, pattern looks good ( no pockets on the trouser), but the colours are nothing to taken seriously :lol: .

I am really tired of this never ending italian camo discussion. Me and some others did a lot of serious work, in this and several different forums, about it. Have a look at it.

Best regards,

Caen44.
Last edited by Caen44 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A.Weiss

Post by A.Weiss »

Hi Caen44,

is the text of the book. :lol:

A.Weiß
Caen44

Post by Caen44 »

Dear A.Weiss,

it is a well known mistake in this book. To be honest this book is really not the best to buy for if you are really interested in a serious information about Waffen SS camo. :roll:

Best regards,

Caen44.
the 4th reich

Post by the 4th reich »

I would stick with SMWholesale for italian camo, i have just brought a pair of italian camo trousers and a italian camo parka from them. By far the best print and colours i can find.

The 4th Reich
MANNERS COST NOTHING!!!!

Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

Can we perhaps get back on topic?

I read somewhere, some time ago, that SMW use a too wide pattern?

While being no expert on italian camouflage, I have found a few reference photos of original kit to compare to:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=115633

Are there btw. any good credible sources for good information on italian camofulage? And please, no oddball websites :D
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Mikkel wrote:Are there btw. any good credible sources for good information on italian camofulage? And please, no oddball websites :D
I hope that that is not a dig at Ceans web site
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

I'm not aware of his website, so no :)

But over the years, I have encounted quite a bit of really low quality information. Largely on wierd websites.
xCumbatcherx

Post by xCumbatcherx »

4th reich, i would like to see you in this parka as i might be interested in buying one myself
Chorlitz|12.SS|

Post by Chorlitz|12.SS| »

Mikkel wrote:Can we perhaps get back on topic?

I read somewhere, some time ago, that SMW use a too wide pattern?

While being no expert on italian camouflage, I have found a few reference photos of original kit to compare to:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=115633

Are there btw. any good credible sources for good information on italian camofulage? And please, no oddball websites :D
I have compaired my suit to original material form 2 sources (A original zelt and parka) they are the same.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Wartime Italian cloth and some post war cloth on the right. Not the same pattern but similar colours?
Ignore the Hungarian shelter underneath,

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Some more variations of Italian camo;
Three variations of colour and pattern

TOP. A late version with vivid colours and wavey edge to the patterns. It has riveted buttons and metal grommets.

LEFT. I think this is early post war, subdued tones with sewn plastic buttons and sewn grommets. Pattern is much as wartime but colours are garish.

RIGHT. Same wartime zelt as before, shown to contrast with the post war and late colour schemes.

I hope this helps a little to show the colour and pattern variations of italian camo. I have a plain brown/tan Italian section somewhere in the collection. That has sewn grommets too. Any additions and corrections are warmly recieved, I make no claims to any depth of knowledge on this italian camo. I just own some.
supermario

Post by supermario »

Ok

Reading some of the comments, i'll put my twenty pence worth in.

Chen's Italian camo is a fair attempt. The Pattern (Edges of) are spot on. Original WW2 is more angular than the smoother post war versions. SM wholesales is ok-ish, but it is copied from post war pattern, with a WW2 colouration. I have compared SM's with my original Telo Tenda's, as well as post war ones, and SM's pattern matches Italian Telo Tenda's made in 1950's. This pattern was revived in the 1980's, until a US style camo was introduced in the 1990's.

Post war camo has a larger pattern than Wartime. Plenty of research has been done, but only the conclusion on wartime Telo Tenda Mimetico's has ever been done. If you are looking for the pattern, then looking at Chens example, the pattern is just about right. However, the tan shade is a bit too tan for my liking.

Original WW2 Italian telo Tenda Mimetico made in 1933

Note the brown strip on the centre seem. No post war ones have this feature. This shows that the WW2 pattern was smaller, as the PW and WW2 shelters are the same size.

Now just to confuse the mix....

How about this then? Is the colour correct? Is the pattern correct?

It is. This is an orginal 1942 dated ADRA jump smock. The Same issued to the Folgore. Note the colour. Its not the standard Forest grey green background, but rather a sandstone colour. It then has lime green smaller blotches.

Faded, i hear you cry, but alas no. This Jump smock has been in possesion if the IWM since 1946, when it was handed over by the regiment that captured the Tenente after a combat drop. It had only been issued to him the day before. It is in absolute pristine condition.

When we look at what people are producing, no one makes a perfect repro Italian camo. SM does the closest, but i think chens could be just as good because the pattern looks better.

How many Pe dot repro's are perfect? Doesn't one vendor produce one with one colour missing?

Neil

A.Weiss

Post by A.Weiss »

Hi Neil,

Great lesson on camouflage! :)

A.Weiß
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

Thank you for that very informative post :)

Return to “Italian Discussion”