Pet hates?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Stigroadie

Pet hates?

Post by Stigroadie »

Being old and grumpy there are little things in the hobby that get under my skin. I'm sure others feel the same, mine are mostly kit based and usually the fault of poor research, laziness or both.
Lets keep it to two moans per post and you must, if it's not obvious, say why it grates. We dont need to include Swede converted tunics, I think we all know their time has been and gone. Even the worst chinese copy is better.
My pet hates;
1] Wool embroidered insignia on Heer field grey M43 caps. I've been looking for years and I've only found one photo that clearly shows wool insignia and that is a portrait of a major. The record shows Bevo all the way. Not the case for SS, Luftwaffe and heer panzer caps for some reason, they all show wool badges quite often. I'm sure they did exist in wool but it's bloody hard to find any evidence.
2] Mess tins left in that horrid post war light grey colour. 5 minutes work to correct with a coat of RAL6006 or something equally suitable. You can even strip it back and blacken it up on the base, better by miles than the grey.
Pug42

Re: Pet hates?

Post by Pug42 »

1) Goatee beards
2) People shooting MG42s from the hip

I don't doubt for a second that Franz will dig up a genuine WW2 photo of a Deutsche soldat wearing a goatee AND firing an MG42 from the hip!! (the soldat in question would have to be built like an ox to do it though!) :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Pug42 wrote:I don't doubt for a second that Franz will dig up a genuine WW2 photo of a Deutsche soldat wearing a goatee
You asked (repost from the other forum)...

My own anti-votes go to:
- rubber boot soles
- feldgrau M36 feldhosen
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Ah, but he couldn't fire an MG42 from the hip could he...

I'm just waiting for someone to post the most weirdly obscure thing that gets up their nose... something few people observe. LIke Kitkat points out.. not many people set up lafettes with MGs correctly... but how many notice?
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

1) I FREAKING HATE HORRIBLE REPRO CAMOUFLAGE AND 99,9999999999% OF ALL CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHING IN GENERAL!!! AAAAAAAARRRGH!!!

2)(a big one ;) )Factory-finish helmets from china and wool M43 insignia would be some of the worst too. And; people not wearing their uniform & equipment like they should.... they should think about what they are wearing and what it's supposed to be used for, and how... I see too many people with poor fitting uniforms, not enough equipment ,wrong equipment + worn the wrong way and I keep pointing it out but it seems like some people just don't care and only want to burn blanks and drink beer all day long...

Oh and I hate people who don't act like they are under fire when in contact with the enemy. Some don't even take a knee!
rednas

Post by rednas »

- People who do reenact '44-'45 but look like they are invading Russia.

- The 'Splintergrenadieren', who almost look like Waffen SS.

- Reenactors who choose the Waffen SS because it's "elite" (cq, who believe the elite myths...).
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

You have to expand on these grudges guys, reasons and examples. If you dont say why you leave your opinions open to attack.
eg. Poor fitting uniforms. Nothing unusual especially late on, Normandy and the retreat shows lots of baggy or too short in the sleeve uniforms. If you base your impression on the photo record from Normandy to the Rhine then ill fitting should almost be the rule? Theses are not depot troops.
Or, early war uniforms in late war settings. HUGE amounts to support that. M40 style tunics and jack boots are seen all over the record from '44, certainly in France. The stocks of older style tunics would not be as depleted in a comfy 'garrison' posting like France where the demands on clothing is not as great as in rough combat zones. How quick does your work wear give out when compared to you best. The turn over is less, so the issue would not be as often.

And Rednas and Sheikh, we said two points per post! :D
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I too used to share the goatee hatred but as I've looked outside my core interest you can see they were worn.
The KM was a bit of a home to the goatee and beards in general.
The gebirgsjager also were not shy of having hairy crap all over their faces, those posted in Italy were very prone it seems to me. Not an expert in the field but they are recorded. I think they kept the cold out too.
Line infantry, panzer, arty etc the beard is a very rare thing. If you are going to wear one you better have it in the right context or live in fear of getting poked with the farb stick. :shock:
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

re enactors who look as if they have just walked out of c&a too clean, yes it is nice to have a best dress or walking out gear but in the field or on display a bit of muck dont hurt.

too much bling

i must admit i often am very unshaven :oops: once kriegsmarine..always... :roll:

whatever...dont ask micky this question, they aint room on the forum for her reply, you know what women are like :shock:
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

manager to real german hairdresser

http://www.motorcyclemedics.page.tl
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

She's welcome to post, just keep it to 2 moans per post and back them up.
Marlene Weissfeld

Post by Marlene Weissfeld »

:?

1- ladies spend a fortune on original dress shoes and hat, stick everything on and forget there modern hair

2- it is in the middle of summer ,30c in the shadow, woman wear light summer dresses and on the top......... :evil: :evil: a fur coat . :shock: why oh why :shock:
rednas

Post by rednas »

Stigroadie wrote:And Rednas and Sheikh, we said two points per post! :D
There are way too many points to complain about.... :lol:
You have to expand on these grudges guys, reasons and examples. If you dont say why you leave your opinions open to attack.
eg. Poor fitting uniforms. Nothing unusual especially late on, Normandy and the retreat shows lots of baggy or too short in the sleeve uniforms. If you base your impression on the photo record from Normandy to the Rhine then ill fitting should almost be the rule? Theses are not depot troops.
Or, early war uniforms in late war settings. HUGE amounts to support that. M40 style tunics and jack boots are seen all over the record from '44, certainly in France. The stocks of older style tunics would not be as depleted in a comfy 'garrison' posting like France where the demands on clothing is not as great as in rough combat zones. How quick does your work wear give out when compared to you best. The turn over is less, so the issue would not be as often.
True, like (almost) everything is possible for German reenactment, you see the most weird combinations and items in 1944/1945. Though, when looking at the mass, the Germans in 1944 weren't all wearing M36 uniforms with boots.
KB Martinsen

Post by KB Martinsen »

Probably shouldn't post as I don't actually reenact as yet, but two things that bug me from reenactment photos are;

The overuse of captured weapons.

Oversized paratroopers.

OT, but I actually have fired an MG42 (or rather the 7.62 MG M/62 which is pretty much the same) from the hip. Up to 50 metres is okay, but it does take a lot of holding. We also tried firing at 800m firing across the sea, it was fun to watch the bullet strikes in the water but I'm not sure that I hit the target with many shots (from a 50 round belt). :oops:

I haven't got a goatee though, and I'm not German either :wink:
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Marlene Weissfeld wrote::? 1- ladies spend a fortune on original dress shoes and hat, stick everything on and forget there modern hair
Here ya go ;)

Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

thank you very much....i am logged in and you want to hear her muttering away about that hairdo

but amongst the foul words i hear that you know exactly what she means :lol:
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

manager to real german hairdresser

http://www.motorcyclemedics.page.tl

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”