SS FG and the question of Camo!

Moderator: Feldjager

Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

SS FG and the question of Camo!

Post by Der Spiess »

Dave (lets face it you'll know) :?
I'm under the impression that SS FG didn't wear camo trousers etc. Would that be right?
I've got photos of Lufty FG's in there smocks but can't seem to find any SS FG in Camo......

Cheers
Paul
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Feldjager

Re: SS FG and the question of Camo!

Post by Feldjager »

I've had a look through my pictures and I have to admit I don't have that many SS FG (mainly because they are rare and highly sought after!). All the ones I have don't show any camo.

It's the same for the other pictures of rear line SS troops (signals, supply, transport etc.) - camo is very much the minority so I don't think it's anything specific to the FG, I think it's specific to rear echelon troops.

I could be wrong of course...!
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Der Spiess

Post by Der Spiess »

Were there regulations against camo for FG? Presumably not if FJ FG wore smocks on duty...
Great ain't it!
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

I've never seen anything formal about not wearing camo so whether there were local instructions, I don't know.

However, as one with experience of point duty in DPM at night, wearing the most visible clothing you own is a definite bonus (it was a question of the 432 hitting me or the traffic lights - the latter cost money to replace, apparently). Then some genius had the idea of hi viz waistcoats on exercise which meant an early heroic death and several hours of pontoon in a 4 tonner...
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

If i recall correctly this question caused quite an argument a while back in KP1 and i have to say out of quite a few published pictures of FG i have seen (and a lot of photos of Police in military service) i have yet to come across any with cammo being worn it is for this reason that as section leader of KP1 FG i decided cammo would not be worn in the section. This of course may alter if a few photos of FG in cammo appear.

:D
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Der Spiess

Post by Der Spiess »

have to say out of quite a few published pictures of FG i have seen (and a lot of photos of Police in military service) i have yet to come across any with cammo being worn
Like you Mr Cooke I aggree, but with the exception of the FJ's which appear regularly in smocks and Ringkragen, is there a reason for them being different? especially when most of the photos are from Normandy/Ardennes when FJ's were really infantry.
(If I remember correctly :? )In the thin Waffen SS in colour/Camoflage of the SS books from Europa publishing it does have a tailored M44 style jacket and an unusual pea dot tunic both with Feldgendarme sleeve eagles which would place them after 1944........ I think theres even a Dragon figure with the M44 style tunic made. Not that Dragon get it right all the time.
This will rumble on me thinks! :roll:

Feldgendarmes keep those "peepers peeled". :shock:
Toodle Pip!

PS Cookee, hows your knee?
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Crazy Feldgendarme

Must say i have never come across anything saying cammo should not be worn my assumption is that FG units wanted uniformity in dress for disciplinary purposes (though i have some photos of right scruffy FG). Strange though that of the several hundred pictures of Police in Army service i have seen i have yet to come across one with cammo being worn so dont know maybe there was an unwritten law about it.
As you say this will i think rumble (as it did in KP1).

Knee aint to bad mate, sore, stiff and bloody painfull but i started physio today so it should improve a lot over the next few weeks, hope to be fit enough to annoy a few next year :shock: :D :wink:
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

What about that picture of the two FG/FJ and one of them is wearing what looks like italian camo trousers ? i know in the pic that it states it was taken late or just at the finnish of the war and it shows a british armoured car passing them .

PS after some investigation i have since discovered that the trousers in question are splinter A , and the picture is post war c/o our very own Feldjager :wink:

mike
Last edited by Hennig on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Crazy Feldgendarme

Not seen that one any chance of posting it on here please mate.

GeFoPo
Der Spiess

Post by Der Spiess »

I've found 1 photo so far in my books of an SS FG in the Ardennes in a smock directing traffic.
So there are photos out there obviously. I'll start looking in ernest when I get a minute.
PS glad the knee's on the mend. :D
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
JDR

Post by JDR »

From what i can find so far all FG in camo are reenactors, I will have a look through my books to see if theres any pics.
One reason why Fg may not had camo is that W-SS camo wasnt as common as it is for reenactors and camo was handed in once you came back from the front
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Crazy Feldgendarme wrote:Not seen that one any chance of posting it on here please mate.

I could only find this version of said picture as it only shows you part of the armoured car .

mike
Attachments
bw fg.jpg
bw fg.jpg (203.4 KiB) Viewed 9432 times
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

And there is this picture of some luft FG wearing camo :wink:
Attachments
luft fg.jpg
luft fg.jpg (96.66 KiB) Viewed 9430 times
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Der Spiess

Post by Der Spiess »

Hennig wrote:
Crazy Feldgendarme wrote:Not seen that one any chance of posting it on here please mate.

I could only find this version of said picture as it only shows you part of the armoured car .

mike
I think this photo was taken just after the war had actually finished. But a great photo.
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Der Spiess wrote:
Hennig wrote:

mike
I think this photo was taken just after the war had actually finished. But a great photo.

Yes i did refresh my post above that picture to date the said pic :wink: but post war or not the trousers would of been issuied to him to wear so my guess and it's only a guess is that yes , FG were issuied camo but not to the greater extent like other parts of the armed forces were :?: :?: :? :wink: but hey i am not the expert .

mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SECOND BATTLE GROUP

Return to “Feldgendarmerie”