pomade

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Gren Broich

pomade

Post by Gren Broich »

Right then.Where in England can you get 'Royal crown pomade'? :?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE ALL SINGING,ALL MARCHING S.B.G.
Wolfie

Re: pomade

Post by Wolfie »

Have a poke around on the interwebulator, mate. That's the only place I found it when I lived there.

EDIT: Dax is a pretty good stand in, but a bastard to wash out over time.
"He was a fighter in every way, he lived and breathed action"

Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

Thanks,i have found American crew pomade on ebay so bought a jar of that.
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

I went to a traditional style barbers for a cut once, asked for a forties style cut and showed em a couple of pictures. They made a great job of it alright, but asked if I then wanted pomade in my hair. Never one to pass up something new, I assented and spent the next bloody week trying to get the stuff out. god knows what it was made of!
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Interesting that you're not going down the Brylcreem or Dax road, there are many alternatives to obvious hair tidying products though, bees wax, vaseline, egg white, sugar and water, shoe polish(neutral), lard and one of my favourites...gelatin.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Ted

Post by Ted »

Why not use good old hair oil :D loads of that around & very easy to get and totally authentic to the period.
craigob

Post by craigob »

Pomade is the same as Vaseline. They're made of petroleum jelly. The only thing that's different between Vaseline and Royal Crown pomade is that Royal crown has a slight perfume added to give it a sent.

I use Royal Crown it works well and gives my hair that well groomed 30's and 40's look. It isn't very easy to get out but, try using some Dawn or some Palmolive dish soap. Then, apply and work it in good. Wash it out, and then use a good conditioner to replace the protein and such that was removed by the dish soap.
Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

would fairy do :?:
craigob

Post by craigob »

yep any good brand will work, just not something like " my mums washing up stuff"
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnen ... eacne.html
or just google pomade acne. its nasty stuff!

try not washing your hair for four days and combing it. natural oils should do the trick :)
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Servus lads :D , intresting topic, luckilly i know a haidresser :roll: and she says the best thing to get products out of hair is recovery soap or a product softener which apparantly can be bought at any hairdresser warehouse which is open to the public :P . She also recommends Murray's pomade which has been on the market since the 20's :D , ive looked on e bay and you can get this gear on there, under "pomade" 8) Anyway good hunting lads, regards peiper :wink: [quote] "I'll show you where the hot cross buns are made!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jager_Lang

Post by Jager_Lang »

Murray's is a good product, but can be difficult to work with at room temperature as it is more a wax than a jelly and needs to be heated up to work well. I've been using it day to day for years and get the best results melting it with a hair dryer. In the field, it's not especially convieniant.

Hair tonic works well in cold weather but if the sun starts beating down on your helmet and the mix of sweat and alcohol blinds you.

Royal Crown is the happy medium in my experiance. It's more pliable at lower temperatures and doesn't run as bad in warmer weather. If you cannot find it locally, a mix of 8 parts petrolium jelly to 1 part olive oil is about right to reproduce the consistancy, which can be put in an original or repro tin. Incidentally, Olive oil is one of the best shampoos for getting the stuff out afterwards.

Shane
Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

Much usefull info here chaps,thankyou. 8)
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

noooo noooo
http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnen ... eacne.html

lol. use engine oil instead :)
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

I use brylcreen when "in period" for an authentic look. I also reccomend Bay rum if you can find it, smells lovely and is a period item too.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”