Aging uniforms

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Franzlein

Aging uniforms

Post by Franzlein »

Hello eweryone!
I've a question: how do you "age" your uniforms, as drillich and camo clothes?
Cheers!
Crazy Feldgendarme

Re: Aging uniforms

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

why age it it had to be new at one time just wash and wear and let it age naturally because the only aging it could have is from the date issued to whatever time frame you are doing which means a maximum of 6 years aging. My advise is wear, get dirty and wash several times and leave it in the sun for a faded look it will look far better with natural age than any method of false aging
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
9.SS-PzDiv

Post by 9.SS-PzDiv »

For quick results: sanding paper. It makes the edges look older.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Crazy Feldgendarme wrote:why age it it had to be new at one time just wash and wear and let it age naturally because the only aging it could have is from the date issued to whatever time frame you are doing which means a maximum of 6 years aging. My advise is wear, get dirty and wash several times and leave it in the sun for a faded look it will look far better with natural age than any method of false aging

Agreed , I just wouldn't wash anything - brush it down , hang it up to air .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Franzlein

Post by Franzlein »

Crazy Feldgendarme wrote:why age it it had to be new at one time just wash and wear and let it age naturally because the only aging it could have is from the date issued to whatever time frame you are doing which means a maximum of 6 years aging. My advise is wear, get dirty and wash several times and leave it in the sun for a faded look it will look far better with natural age than any method of false aging
Yep, i know, but i have a drillich uniform, that in my opinion is too scintilating, that's why i would like to age it a bit.
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

If you must age it, wash first to shrink the seams (they buckle up slightly) then using a very fine sandpaper lightly skim the 'highlights'. Other than that let them get dirty, wipe your hands on the trousers when eating, spill stuff, throw yourself on the ground, sleep in them.... they'll soon lose the 'new' look. Drillich fades quickly in sunlight too...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

we used to 'set fire' to our Luftwaffe uniforms, not quite as said but we would burn the wool with a blow lamp and then brush the uniform down, sometimes using a suede brush, takes a while but you get a good result.
graham
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Yes, that removes the 'furry' look of new cloth...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
askhati

Post by askhati »

Drillich is a funny one - I've noticed it ages in phases:
- After the first wash, you have a bit of shrinkage, and the herringbone pattern lifts out - i.e. becomes more prominent. Almost a "striped pajamas" look.

- UV bleaches it quite quickly, especially here in Africa. After 5-6 days in the sun, you can already see a colour difference between the material hidden under the shoulder boards, and the exposed material around it.

- It expands and shrinks again, ever so slightly, every time you sweat through it (which seems to happen all the time). Over time, it seems to mold to your figure much like a leather glove would pattern on your hand after long wear.

- You only wash it when the dirt starts to make it look like an Erbsenmuster garment. The rest of the time, you just beat the dust out (carpet style) and let it air out in the garage. It's a very welcoming sight when you get home after work, to the sight of your drillich waiting for you in the garage :P

- Salt stains are normal. White rings around the armpits, a white V shape down your back, white lines on your tropical cap. It's a quick way to spot whose foxhole is the deepest, at the end of the day.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Where's the 'like' button? :D :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”