SMW Plane tree zelts

Moderator: Feldjager

mutabornomine

SMW Plane tree zelts

Post by mutabornomine »

At last: Plane tree zelts! I have 3 other zelts from SMWholesale, the print is great but the material is thin. Has anybody got a plane tree zelt from SMW already and can comment on material (better quality than the other ones on his website?) and colours? (the colours on the website seem rather brown in brown)
Best regards
Felix the Kraut
ssparatrooper

Re: SMW Plane tree zelts

Post by ssparatrooper »

The originals are thin i have a couple a planetree 5/6 and an oak A

the SMW zelts are very good copies i have about 10 smw zelts and three panther store oak A, the sm zelts have the same cardboard feel as the originals but the colors do fade in the sun i have a couple of the older 3/4 overprint ones and a blurred edge and they have faded the most i also have a very old sm planetree and that has faded too but that is about 14 years old?

the two originals i have haven't faded at all but the dye is fit for purpose as a camo item and not a reproduction but i dont leave them out in the sun at beltring for a week either! i also like all of the different shades like the originals have

SM do all of the best repro camo for waffen SS bar none, panther zelts are good and the print is mega virtually identical to some original cloth but the cloth dont have that cardboard feel like the originals
mutabornomine

Post by mutabornomine »

SMW has several different plane tree zelts now, I have ordered a few. Nice! Buttons and buttonholes are slightly better on their oak zelts, but all in all really nice : - )

I have thought of building a tent from 15 zeltbahns: Take 5 zelts and button them up similar to a normal tent with 4 sheets. That will give a very low pentagonal "pyramid" (might be 30 cm high).
Use this as roof with another 10 zelts buttoned around the circumference. One long stick will be needed in the middle and 5 (better would be 10) sticks on the perimeter.
Has anyone tried this type of tent? Does it work?

Felix the Kraut
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

You need 16 zelts and it's usually called the 'zelthaus'?
It's in the manual. 4 sections for the top and 3 for each of the 4 'walls'.
I have built them in the past and they are quite common these days at events in the uk.
The poles in the corners need to be 4 pieces long, same as a 4 section tent.
mutabornomine

Post by mutabornomine »

I think the tent from 16 Zeltbahns is the one looking like a hugh pyramid. What I am thinking about is 15 Zeltbahns and it looks a bit like a German Pfadfinder Jurte (Google: "Jurte Pfadfinder") but without a chimney section on top. The Pfadfinder Zeltbahn is larger than the WW2 Zeltbahn and completely black, because you have a fire in the middle of the tent and they get black anyway. The Pfadfinder Zeltbahn existed since the 1920s and it might be the inspiration for the triangular German 1931 Zeltbahn, but that is of cause speculation.
Anybody tried that type of tent?
Felix the Kraut
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

How do you propose to build that with triangular zelts again?
I doubt anyone has tried to build one as its not a WW2 type of tent.
Not in any of the manuals.
mutabornomine

Post by mutabornomine »

It is possible to build a tent with 12 zelts, you have a normal tent as the roof and you use 8 zelts for the wall (for the wall you button them up with one zelt standing on the long side, the next one standing on the tip) I have seen them sometimes on shows. So the hight of the wall is the hight of the zeltbahn. You have 4 poles in the corners and one longer pole in the middle.
If you now make the roof from 5 zelts and make the wall longer, you have a tent with 5 corners (and the roof much more flat)
Looks like I have to make a sketch.
Felix the Kraut
mutabornomine

Post by mutabornomine »

done a sketch!
Attachments
WH Jurte.PNG
WH Jurte.PNG (34.58 KiB) Viewed 11152 times
mutabornomine

Post by mutabornomine »

No opinions? Looks like I have to try myself.
I want to add something about the SMW zelts. I have built a tent from original and repro zelts and the repros from SMW are performing good! There was a bit of rain and the puddle was the same on the original and the repro (I should try to build my tent properly), inside similar conditions as well. If the sun is shining and you are inside the tent, he originals are a bit darker, the repros let more light pass through. All in all, the SMW repros are doing well in actual use.
Felix the Kraut

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”