Anyone do buckle repairs?

Moderator: Feldjager

Panzer Wittman

Anyone do buckle repairs?

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Evening gang.
The prongs on my belt buckle have snapped.
Now I'm sure many will think - buy a new one. Well, did that and the detailing is appaulling.
Being as my old one is very nicely detailed I'd like to repair it.
Anyone do or know anyone who could do a prong replacement?
Regards
Jim
pepperpot

Re: Anyone do buckle repairs?

Post by pepperpot »

don't know where you are but it look like a job for a tool maker, source from google
graham
saddler

Post by saddler »

Is this the standard belt buckle, or an officers one?

I commonly throw prongs out when I strip them from traditional buckles.
My guess is it will be easy enough for someone to make up a set of prongs & retro fit to the buckle.
Look at the way the Finnish buckle prongs are made...a flat sheet, rather than the more complex German approach.

I'd do a set from flat sheet, slightly open the buckle top/bottom, remove the older stem, fit the new prongs & nip the buckle back down to correct width.
OR

Post a photo of the broken assembly...it may be possible to effect a field repair style fix with even less effort than making up a new set.
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Cheers for advice gents
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

It was an em/nco buckle.
Happy to report after an hour or so of swearing and the proper application of tools, beer and brute force I have effected a repair and here's how I did it.
First I decided to use the new shite one (courtesy of epic) as a donor for new prongs.
I used a combo of a hammer and a screwdriver and a knife to open the slit running along the swivel bar the prongs are mounted in. Next I used two pairs of pliers to open the bar enough to remove it from the mounting.
I then split the solder holding the prongs in place and removed them. It was then just a case of repeating with the old buckle, inserting the new prongs and then crimping the swivel bar back round the retainer with pliers.
Not pretty but my old very nice buckle is now fit for action again!
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

that's torn it, I bet you'll get a lot of emails to do these repairs oh, can you fix mine, the catch has come off ( if I can find it)
graham

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”