having issues finding a good crusher m37

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Halle

Re: having issues finding a good crusher m37

Post by Halle »

Thanks for posting Brigardefuhrer - lovely caps ! I'm getting a Reichswehr cap from Janke , only thing I need is the Bavarian national cockade - any ideas on where to get it ?
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

$(KGrHqJ,!rQFEdQo)LjLBRKGFb!(Qw~~60_57.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!rQFEdQo)LjLBRKGFb!(Qw~~60_57.jpg (202.92 KiB) Viewed 9786 times
Is this what you are after? german ebay(typed in Bayern kokarde)
also stores.ebay.co.uk/Deutschenorden have cockades that you could repaint,as I did not see a Bavarian one.
Ps Hessen Antiques in the states do a blank nco/officers cockade that you can paint $8.50 +pp.The cockades on german ebay start from just over 15 euro's +pp.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Perfect ! Just what I'm after ! Many thanks Brigardefuhrer !! :D
austealth

Post by austealth »

anyone have any tips on how to age the hat or make it crushed look ?
any info would be sweet
Halle

Post by Halle »

Cut the lining , take out the stuffing ,sew it up again , roll it up , sit on it , leave it in the light to fade ....you may as well buy a cheap one if you want to change the appearance , the last thing you want to do with an expensive cap is ruin it .. :?
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I'm not a fan of artificially "ageing" stuff,just wear it !.Some of the modern made caps may be lined with foam plastic,which you will have remove because it will retain its shape what ever you do to it,you can 'steam it',roll it up and keep it in the top of riding/jackboots.With wear it will get sweat stained ect;.Officers had to pay for their own uniforms and looked after their appearance,in the photo of Peiper his cap doesn't look 'battered'.My old "crusher was bought new about 1986 from an Austrian firm Nayer's,no longer in existence,I just wore it at every event private battles,sun wind and rain and only 'retired it' two years ago,there is no knap left on the cloth and the piping is worn and the plastic reeding is starting to show through(originals used bamboo reeding).Caps worn during the war would only have been worn for about four to five years.I have cap cords on mine because an order in 1941 forbade the wear of 'crusher caps',it was ignored but to get around it they added cap cords.
DSCN0087 (640x480).jpg
DSCN0087 (640x480).jpg (198.04 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
DSCN0088 (640x480).jpg
DSCN0088 (640x480).jpg (208.14 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
DSCN0089 (640x480).jpg
DSCN0089 (640x480).jpg (203.76 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
rsvpiper

Post by rsvpiper »

If it comes with the stiffening wire around the crown take it out remember it's not got to look 70 years old! With both my caps I've soaked the top try not to wet the hat band as this can shrink and then shape. try looking at various original pictures they do have a style pinched around the eagle and crown pulled to the back then just add a bit of dirt maybe shave it a bit to add a bit of ware btw the water treatment will probably take two or three goes before it takes full effect, if you want I'll post up a few pictures of both my caps for you to see how they can look
The above is just my way im sure others will have their way which works too
Last edited by rsvpiper on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
austealth

Post by austealth »

rsvpiper wrote:If it comes with the stiffening wire around the crown take it out remember it's not got to look 70 years old! With both my caps I've soaked the top try not to wet the hat band as this can shrink and then shape. try looking at various original pictures they do have a style pinched around the eagle and crown pulled to the back then just add a bit of dirt maybe shave it a bit to add a bit of ware btw the water treatment will probably take two or three goes before it takes full effect, if you want I'll post up a few pictures of both my caps for you to see how they can look
The above is just my my im sure others will have their way which works too

cheers all great advice. ill try watering and weathering, Dont want it to look to old
rsvpiper

Post by rsvpiper »

Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Crusher by Michael Janke.
Maybe two years old? No ageing per se, just shaped. All stuffing removed, plus i took out the front stiffening buckram and spring, the resewed the liner in place. After that followed many hot water moldings for the top.
Unfortunately the band got wet so it lost nearly a cap size, but this was rectified by a few sessions with a hat jack.
Caps are one of my passions and bug bears - one of the few easily available items to reenactors that can look truly terrible even at a distance. Before you buy one always compare the offered product to real examples. Sadly many look nothing like ww2 german caps in terms of their shape.
Attachments
cru1.jpg
cru1.jpg (47.16 KiB) Viewed 9684 times
cru2.jpg
cru2.jpg (65.56 KiB) Viewed 9684 times

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”