what's the best repro heer zelt - Panther or AtF?

Moderator: berlin1945

fieldgrey

what's the best repro heer zelt - Panther or AtF?

Post by fieldgrey »

From my inspection of the two websites (and details really count here, pictures and close ups, etc) i would say the new AtF army zelts look top notch. Has anyone bought one yet or have an opinion? Metal fittings look better from the pics too...more dull zinc coloured...
k43

Re: what's the best repro heer zelt - Panther or AtF?

Post by k43 »

I'd be interested to know as well. I did hear there is a small error in the print on the ATF one, although other than that it's very good quality wise.
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

k43 wrote:I'd be interested to know as well. I did hear there is a small error in the print on the ATF one, although other than that it's very good quality wise.
Interesting! What's the error? It certainly isn't declared in any of the AtF blurb...
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

AtF has just updated its updates and includes this....
Quote-

German Camouflage Facts 
Reinventing the camouflage wheel has been an adventure. Things that were in my face for years only now become visible for one reason or another. It seems like every day there's a new revelation of some sort.

1. Most of the roller printed patterns (everything except "Plane Tree") has a repeat of 50cm. (19.5") (The circumference of the roller). Modern US rollers are 18 or 24 inch, and those overseas are 42cm or 64cm. Thus it's basically impossible for the pattern on a copy to be "perfect". The hours spent caterwauling on the collecting forums over whether or not some uniform is original could be eliminated with a tape

-end quote

disregarding any defensive critique of forum activity (which can understandably dent the confidence of some repro makers that dont 'get it right') this seems to confirm the AtF zelt prints are NOT the same size as originals..if soo Boo!
For some that wont be good enough, despite the details like maker prints and zinc bells and whistles...
why not just make the correct sized rollers in the first place?

Which brings our attention to Panther....what's the SIZE OF THEIR SPLINTER PRINT? Same as original or bigger/smaller?
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

fieldgrey wrote:this seems to confirm the AtF zelt prints are NOT the same size as originals.
No it doesn't.
Splinter zelts, which is what we are talking about here, are screened not rollered. They have a comparison picture on their website that shows original and repro side by side. They do look very good.
http://www.atthefront.com/g_images/gear ... t_comp.jpg
The best you can say is that if the ATF SS prints are roller printed they will show a different repeat.
ATF might have screened their print?

The ATF 'facts' are not all new, the roller diameter has been remarked upon in print and on the internet for years. The repeat is no secret.
The flipping of the screens for splinter patterns is not news.
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

Thanks for your info! Confusion...
Does that mean AtF zelts DO have same sized splinter print as originals? The comparison shots seem to suggest they are spot on....
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

What do you think?
Look at the pictures, thats why they post them, so you can see for yourself.
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

k43 wrote:I'd be interested to know as well. I did hear there is a small error in the print on the ATF one, although other than that it's very good quality wise.
Back to source....
what's the error?
k43

Post by k43 »

A small part of the print apparently, looks good to me though.
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

I think I've spotted the error.
http://www.atthefront.com/g_images/gear ... _green.jpg
Look bottom center, below the large grommets and pan left, see the long brown shape with the two green shapes, one above the other?
Those green shapes dont belong. The green shapes only appear in groups of 3 on real zelts as far as I'm aware.
Looking more closely, that whole strip is superfluous.
My guess is that they did roller print this pattern and this is the bit that makes up the extra space on the roller.
Last edited by SplinterA on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

The cheapo zelt from zib isnt a bad print, not sure what the rest of it is like.
So, do you want your zelt with nice zinc fittings or a correct print?
For me seeing a row of zelt tents all with sturm type print errors tells me the group are running things cheap or dont know/care.
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

SplinterA wrote:The cheapo zelt from zib isnt a bad print, not sure what the rest of it is like.
So, do you want your zelt with nice zinc fittings or a correct print?
For me seeing a row of zelt tents all with sturm type print errors tells me the group are running things cheap or dont know/care.

well spotted re non three-green camo section on the AtF pics.
ideally of course id expect the repro zelt to be zinked AND to have authentic camo muster.
now having seen the AtF inacuracy, i will not buy one and will rely on original.
the panther zelt fittings seem a bit shiny....and i dont know re size of print how they rate...

it seems ludricous to me that someone could go so far in making a repro zelt and then include such a clown of a feature in it...i ask myslef, why bother in the first place?
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

As Rollin of ATF says in his notes, its because of the roller size.
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

Heres a thought....it would still have been possible to fill in the roller space with a correct print configuration so that three-green camo basis would be adhered too...seems like this error may have slipped through the fingers of the firm's authenticity department. Whatever way, huge shame..
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

How?
How many people do you think work there?
Its Rollins business, he does it all.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”