Best repro ZF39 scope and mounts

Moderator: berlin1945

littletankman

Best repro ZF39 scope and mounts

Post by littletankman »

Hi Im looking for a decent ZF39 scope and mounts any advice on were to get one .I have seen several on US ebay with the diiferent mounts .I was going to go with the turret mount but most conversions I have seen are the long side nount. , will these fit a standard K98k as Ive read the K98ks they were fitted to the mounting point was thicker than a standatd K98k. Im just using this for living history not shooting but prefer a decent steel scope with if possible the correct maker name ?
Also is it a big job fitting this mount ? Looks like the stock needs cutting and threaded holes put into the side of the metal work. Is this a job for a gun smith although my dads a model enginer and had plenty of tools / machines just not much free time :-(

Thanks Andy
sniperK98

Re: Best repro ZF39 scope and mounts

Post by sniperK98 »

I've been in the exact same position, and I built mine up myself. I was going to do the LSR but with the stocking having to be cut out etc I don't advise that.

I did a high turret setup using an original wartime scope. No need for drilling, just use epoxy resin since it's not a shooter. I would strongly advise you not to go for a repro scope, I went for an original, but if you don't have the £1000-1500 to do that then go for a vintage commercial type. Far better quality and roughly same price or cheaper than a repro. The repro Zeilvier's are very poor and I don't think you'd be as pleased with the end result.

I also assume that you know the scope will need disassembling and reassembling in solid turret mounts. Unless you were going to go with split ring turret mounts? That way you just drop your scope in, screw it in and you're away. Hope that helps. Have you got the K98 for the job already?
Oberleutnant

Post by Oberleutnant »

What period are you doing an impression on. If late war then LSR is correct. Only introduced late war. Early war then turret mounts the best option.
Wir Fahren Gegen Engelland

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Hi thanks for the advice Im looking for 1943 onwards the turret mounts look easier to fit with the side mounts it says in my book the part of the K98 they fix to was thicker on the sniper compared to a standard K98. But seen plenty of converted standard K98s .

Looks like most of what ever sights / mounts its a US buy ?

Thanks Andy
sniperK98

Post by sniperK98 »

Turret mounts are also late war, not just the LSR! I would go for turret mounts, easier to mount but scope must be soldered into the rings. Get repro mounts from US but get a post war but vintage scope would be the way to go.

Please post some pics up of your rifle if you can please :mrgreen:
Oberleutnant

Post by Oberleutnant »

sniperK98 wrote:Turret mounts are also late war, not just the LSR! I would go for turret mounts, easier to mount but scope must be soldered into the rings. Get repro mounts from US but get a post war but vintage scope would be the way to go.

Please post some pics up of your rifle if you can please :mrgreen:
I was inferring you can't use LSR if doing early war impression. Turret mounts were used throughout the war.
Wir Fahren Gegen Engelland

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”