My breadbag items.

Moderator: berlin1945

peiper1944

Re: My breadbag items.

Post by peiper1944 »

BedsnHerts wrote: Very nice. You just need to get a WW2 type Scho Ka Kola tin instead of the modern one. :D
They were the same tbh mate, the only difference was the date on front of the lid but that can easily be painted
on, just got to get round to it :D
BedsnHerts wrote:After having spend an age and a small fortune amassing various period breadbag bits n bobs , I was a bit downhearted when I showed them to a vet who said: "We never had any of that stuff at the front. Where were we supposed to get it from"
Yes i can see there were scarce items at the front especially late War but personal items were mostly sent from home or
bought from camp shops when stationed in a barrack facility then kept and brought along with them especially luxury items,
as for soap etc that was issued quite regularly until late War.
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Konzert-Meister

Post by Konzert-Meister »

Modern Scho-Ka-Kola tins are nothing at all like they were in the 1930's and 40's. Here are two originals and the Ostfront replica from my collection. One is a 1941 tin for military use and the other a prewar/wartime commercial tin. Not similar at all. I use the replica for re-enacting. I've placed modern pieces inside and sealed all 3 with black electrical tape, which is similar to the black tape they were originally sealed with. However original chocolate was one piece that you snapped into the segments, with the horse logo in the middle. Wrapped in a brown cellophane type wrapper. Detailed info in the Wehrmacht Ration book.
Attachments
DSC02152 (800x600) (500x375).jpg
DSC02152 (800x600) (500x375).jpg (159.18 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Konzert-Meister wrote:Modern Scho-Ka-Kola tins are nothing at all like they were in the 1930's and 40's. Here are two originals and the Ostfront replica from my collection. One is a 1941 tin for military use and the other a prewar/wartime commercial tin. Not similar at all. I use the replica for re-enacting. I've placed modern pieces inside and sealed all 3 with black electrical tape, which is similar to the black tape they were originally sealed with. However original chocolate was one piece that you snapped into the segments, with the horse logo in the middle. Wrapped in a brown cellophane type wrapper. Detailed info in the Wehrmacht Ration book.
Fair play, thanks for correcting me Konzert Meister, i was sure i saw a pic of a red and white Scho-Ka-Kola tin except with a
Wartime date in the "Deutsche Soldaten book" by Agustin Saiz ??, it appears i was mistaken, now 2nd thing on your list, the
repro tins, where from ?? as i like to get things spot on :wink:

Cheers Peiper
Last edited by peiper1944 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konzert-Meister

peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Wunderbar :D
Thanks for the link Konzert Meister, i will order one today, i couldn't find "Ostfront's" actual
website, just a blank page, maybe they've moved ??

Cheers Peiper

Konzert-Meister

As far as I'm aware he just works from ebay now.
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

I have two originals for sale:

A very rare Mauxion Adler one - £50

and a Hildebrand "hybrid" one in excellent condition - £40
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Thanks for showing your tins Beds'n Herts, i will definately have a think about buying one :wink:

Cheers Peiper

soldat44

Post by soldat44 »

IMHO an amazing collection, well done you guys. I' m busy copying most of what you guys have so I own up to that and hold my head in shame. Lol
soest

Post by soest »

Out of curiosity the Ostfront repro tin above is labelled for the German Red Cross. Would that be general issue to the troops then?

I know the Red Cross sent parcels to POW camps etc and it's not unreasonable to assume that some would have found their way to the front lines.

Would certainly look better than a modern tin anyway...
jlmod

Post by jlmod »

Great thread.
I enjoy finding out information regarding personal items and it is something I also need to improve on. It helps give a great impression on what kind of person you are portraying. Not everyone goes into such detail but to me I love it.
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

soldat44 wrote:IMHO an amazing collection, well done you guys. I' m busy copying most of what you guys have so I own up to that and hold my head in shame. Lol
No probs bud :wink:
Glad you liked the pics, thats why i post mine anyway to help and maybe give people
some ideas for their own portrayals, here's another one ive dug out with all original
WW2 items, even the comb lol
WW2 personal kit.jpg
WW2 personal kit.jpg (97.16 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
Regards Peiper

peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Bread bag items updated with a couple of new bits including
the bread bag itself which is original :wink:
Breadbag updated.jpg
Breadbag updated.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
Peiper

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”