War and Peace show revival

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
grenadier Biermann

War and Peace show revival

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Hello all just get back home and have to tell you I run away from this ! The biggest problem was dust blowing wind spreading dust all over the place I'm full of dust my eyes - eyes lids sore like a devil :twisted: ,organization crap reeneactors car park miles away from displays , modern sport 4x4 racing around the battlefield of course spreading massive dust clouds on us and ours already invisible parking cars around 2 inches of dust on each vehicle ! Fun fair attraction playing some rubbish music loud out :roll: No trees no shades to sat and rest in this heatwave and no map no directions you just going and you don't know where like a nomad trough the stormy desert :? And is not just me but so many other guys we're :roll: eyes and pulling they faces :( Next time I'm going to get my kids and feed the ducks mile down the road :P
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
grenadier Biermann

Re: War and Peace show revival

grenadier Biermann wrote:Hello all just get back home and have to tell you I run away from this ! The biggest problem was dust blowing wind spreading dust all over the place I'm full of dust my eyes - eyes lids sore like a devil :twisted: ,organization crap reeneactors car park miles away from displays , modern sport 4x4 racing around the battlefield of course spreading massive dust clouds on us and ours already invisible parking cars around 2 inches of dust on each vehicle ! Fun fair attraction playing some rubbish music loud out :roll: No trees no shades to sat and rest in this heatwave and no map no directions you just going and you don't know where like a nomad trough the stormy desert :? And is not just me but so many other guys we're :roll: eyes and pulling they faces :( Next time I'm going to get my kids and feed the ducks mile down the road :P
Sorry for saying this but healthy criticism helping improve in the future :wink:
gottmituns205

Post by gottmituns205 »

War and Peace this year for me, was my first large scale show. Many people kept comparing it to the old show, but I think few said it best "this is a whole new show."

With a new show, I have no doubt they had some issues. My only major gripe was the quad bikers and jeeps running around CONSTANTLY. Throwing up a dust cloud so large I felt like I was in Oklahoma in the dust bowl. Sought medical care from the base because I had issues breathing sunday when I got home. There seemed to be many people who couldn't read "one way" so...yeah.

Positive side of this was I was able to hitchhike multiple times with friendly jeep drivers, so walking to the car park wasn't that big of an issue. However I wasn't able to see the whole other half of the show because it was just so damn big. You need a jeep to really get around!

Outside of that I get why the battles were smaller and were done mainly by two groups - health and safety. Day of being told this, I was quite bummed but in hindsight I get why it is the way it is.

Long term, I think many of the issues could be solved from experience from this show. I'll attend next year either in a group or as a member of the public, who knows.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

for me the dust was the main problem, fortunately i was under the shelters of Das Reich, so that when the dust did blow it was away from us. The second grip was the loos and shower, located by smell.
graham
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

oooh dust a problem?

Was there no dust in WW2? i am sorry but this show like all of them is what you make of it i had a good time riding my krad around like i was in russia in 1941 and the vehicles looked fantastic going round that arena, free weapons and ammo, i have nowt to complain about

I also found some nice bits on the stalls, they sell period goggles over there maybe you should have bought a pair?

I got some mega photos and had a good time roll on next year it will only get better
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

All in all was a good event, unfortunately
i could only do the weekend due to work
and had to shove off early on Sunday but
imho the dust wasnt a problem and as KK
said added to the realism of the event, the
only thing i found to moan about was there
wasn't a music tent that provided period music
unless you count the one that charged £30
per head but i wasnt prepared to spend that lol :D
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
kurt koniger

Post by kurt koniger »

Dust and blazing sunshine....the ideal kit distressing agents. There were some issues with locating people, some toilet issues were mentioned by public and reenactors, beer prices were rather steep, with the exception of Normandy 44, several people had problems with members names not appearing on the lists held at the reenactors entrance, I thought the shopping was a bit disjointed although there were some very nice things, thumbs up to the Frenchies selling the French ration boxes, very tasty, the Helferin uniforms at field issue were pretty cool too. There were positives but in general created not by the administration but by individual groups such as Das Reich and Normandy 44, I'm sure there were others doing similar but these are thetwo in our vicinity. There were some great displays, WW1 being among the best I thought and some great people but that's why I do it. Sorry if I upset anyone by being a shorty bloke ... All in all winged aside I had a great few days, it is after all, what we make it. Cheers to all those who made it for me
kurt koniger

Post by kurt koniger »

Dust and blazing sunshine....the ideal kit distressing agents. There were some issues with locating people, some toilet issues were mentioned by public and reenactors, beer prices were rather steep, with the exception of Normandy 44, several people had problems with members names not appearing on the lists held at the reenactors entrance, I thought the shopping was a bit disjointed although there were some very nice things, thumbs up to the Frenchies selling the French ration boxes, very tasty, the Helferin uniforms at field issue were pretty cool too. There were positives but in general created not by the administration but by individual groups such as Das Reich and Normandy 44, I'm sure there were others doing similar but these are thetwo in our vicinity. There were some great displays, WW1 being among the best I thought and some great people but that's why I do it. Sorry if I upset anyone by being a shorty bloke ... All in all winged aside I had a great few days, it is after all, what we make it. Cheers to all those who made it for me
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

really enjoyed it, had a mega time and meeting new and old friends sitting down ad chatting and having a beer, being beside two lovely groups of people that looked after me and sitting around a fire and laughing and chatting and singing til the early hours, got some very good deals well pleased and my thanks to Gregg cottee for just doing a good job and to his staff. living in a field for a week does have its issues , however I think this was my best war and peace so far .
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Dust is serious health problem, every year asthma is on the increase, this type of fine dust is a potential cancer problem, which is why industry has to take it seriously. what should have been done is to dampen down the arena area each night. comments i heard from the public were not good relating to this problem. It may look good to re enactors/ krad drivers but most other people it was a real problem, what ever happened to the fire engines that used to dampen down the dust???? Mops dont go to shows to be covered in this very fine dust and, despite being under cover, it went home with me and ended up in the shower tray. and yes i do carry asthma medic treatment
gottmituns205

Post by gottmituns205 »

peiper1944 wrote:All in all was a good event, unfortunately
30 quid a head...are they friggin mad!?!?!?! Duxford has a similar charge for it's airshow and even I thought that was steep!

Where was this anyway?
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

gottmituns205 wrote:
peiper1944 wrote:All in all was a good event, unfortunately
30 quid a head...are they friggin mad!?!?!?! Duxford has a similar charge for it's airshow and even I thought that was steep!

Where was this anyway?
It was situated down near where the "allo allo"
tent was, admittedly they had a buffet of sorts
but i would've thought they would've had two
types of ticket, perhaps a tenner each for those
that didn't want to eat and £20 for those wanting
the scoff i would've paid that, normally i wouldn't
bother but had the missus with me who likes the 40's
music, the only other option was the modern electro/rock
crap they were playing in the other beer tent.
Next time perhaps they could have a tent playing the period
music (40's) which is free then you have a choice then, afterall
most of us are portraying WW2
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
LAH- Obergrenadier

Post by LAH- Obergrenadier »

ssparatrooper wrote:oooh dust a problem?

Was there no dust in WW2? i am sorry but this show like all of them is what you make of it i had a good time riding my krad around like i was in russia in 1941 and the vehicles looked fantastic going round that arena, free weapons and ammo, i have nowt to complain about

I also found some nice bits on the stalls, they sell period goggles over there maybe you should have bought a pair?

I got some mega photos and had a good time roll on next year it will only get better
I could not agree with you more....Russian summer 1943.....

How's these for action shots....and very dusty....as it would have been :D

H.H
STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
kurt koniger

Post by kurt koniger »

Blinding photos, super realistic. I didn't mean to make light of Graham's dust issues. We have to remember that although some of us ( myself included) are whippersnappers, in our 50's there are still those who enjoy the hobby into thier 60's and in Pat's case 90's. for these people and those with respiratory problems the dust may be hazardous and therefore a ligitimate cause for complaint. I agree with the music point too. The bands did a great job and played well but I also would like to see/hear more period entertainment for reenactors, who, it has to be remembered, WAP would be little more than an antiques fair without
grenadier Biermann

ssparatrooper wrote:oooh dust a problem?

You're probably one of the organizer of WaP I guess or get well paid for this :P

Return to “UK reenactment and events”