Hellooo!

Moderator: johankreig

Zschakel

Hellooo!

Post by Zschakel »

Hi Guys,

First of all, my name is Joe and I’m from Surrey (Pretty sure that line made me sound like someone on ‘TakeMeOut'). I have been a World War II crack head since I was about 8 and I’ve just turned 21, so I like to think I ‘know’ something... LOL.

Currently studying to become an Art Director, I have decided to marry my profession with my passion. After extensive research, over the next year I aim to produce a series of photographs to make a book.

The photos are going to be taken on an original 1935 Leica IIIA Rangefinder Camera, hand developed and printed with vintage darkroom equipment. The photo paper will be as accurate as possible with period branding. The photo book itself will also be hand made with accurate paper stock, protection and binding. Any printing work will be produced using the letterpress method.

I have taken great interest in one particular SS-Kriegsberichter – Obersturmführer Friedrich Fritzel Zschäckel (I own his camera). So I'll be doing an impression of him. Before the war, Zschäckel taught photography in Munich with Heinrich Hoffman (I won’t patronize you by telling you who he is). Serving with five different divisions, he specialized in both portraits and combat photography. I have been analyzing his photographic works, looking at his style and composition; I will be mimicking all of his traits.

To take these photographs, I want to re-enact him with great detail. I've managed to track some of his relatives, so we'll see how that one turns out. After acquiring a couple of photos of him in action, I have been doing further research and will be putting together his uniform. I guess I’ll be an ‘individual’ re-enactor but hopefully the relevant groups won’t mind me slipping in and out. I can imagine there are a couple annoying of re-enactors out there who think they are ‘special’ and ‘different’ by re-enacting a particular role, but I truly hope that you can all see my purpose.

Sorry for the long and tiring message, I would love some feedback on my ‘project idea’. See you soon (Hopefully at W&P).

Oh and I can speak a fair amount of German, so that's a bonus :D
Kriegsberichter und Felddrucker der Wehrmacht
pepperpot

Re: Hellooo!

Post by pepperpot »

Welcome to the forum, i also live in Surrey
[quote I can imagine there are a couple annoying of re-enactors out there who think they are ‘special’ and ‘different’ by re-enacting a particular role, but I truly hope that you can all see my purpose.][/quote]
Yep took me over 3 years to get both Heer and Luftwaffe GFP impressions correct, even having to tell the book "experts" that were wrong as well.
would strongly suggest you join a group or (if you have the time) groups. It gets you closer to the "action" and you also have the Kamerardership as well, along with cheap PL which is very important
graham
Zschakel

Post by Zschakel »

Whereabouts in Surrey? Any local/recommended groups? Been talking to Das Reich.

I know, I recently found this when trying to get into W&P this year. As a result of too many hoops to jump through, I'm just going shopping :P
Kriegsberichter und Felddrucker der Wehrmacht
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Das Reich
had the pleasure of being 'attached' to the unit on a recent show, best weekend ever, definitely a group to join (also found out i introduced one of their members to re enactment back in 2003).
graham
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Welcome to the forum Joe :)

Regards,

Gary
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Das reich are a great and friendly group of guys and gals. Sounds like you have a great project underway, good luck with it.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Return to “Announcements”