Best Windjacke Gebirgsjaeger

Moderator: Feldjager

mutabornomine

Best Windjacke Gebirgsjaeger

Post by mutabornomine »

I am looking for a good Gebirgsjaeger Windjacke repro (the one with with two rows of buttons on the front)
I am not looking for a cheap one, but for a really good one, that will last and which I can actually wear in wind and rain.
So far I have seen that Lost Battalions are doing them (325 USD). Has anybody got thas one? What impression do you have of the tailoring? How close to the original? Quality of the material? What size do I need if I want to wear it over a size 52 tunic (52 german size / 42 US size)
Are there other suppliers who are doing the Windjacke in a good quality?

Felix the Kraut
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Re: Best Windjacke Gebirgsjaeger

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Hi Felix,

There aren't many good ones out there and finding a good Windjacke has been a long discussed topic within the GJ men, (check the section) I have only used Spearhead ones, although it's from China, they aren't that bad, change the buttons and spray them (a lot, like 3 coats at least) and they hold very well. Mine was waterproof and kept the wind off. LB will make a better one, but I'm sure that the material will pretty much be the same. Otherwise you'll have to either get an original, or ask a tailor to make you one.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Halle

Post by Halle »

Felix ,
I've recently purchased a mint condition original Windjacke , and am planning to have a replica of it made , in exactly the same material , same style etc. . If you are interested in having one also , pm me . It won't be cheap though ...
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Oberleutnant Ulrich

*Standing very stifly*

May I remind you Stabsfeldwebel Halle.....me call dibs first! :mrgreen:
Arthur

Halle

Post by Halle »

Herr Leutnant ,
You've not been forgotten :D I've posted the enquiry on another forum , so was maybe thinking I should do it on this - the more the merrier , just need to find a manufacturer :roll:
mutabornomine

Post by mutabornomine »

Stefan

I once had a zeltbahn made by a Ant-z militaria. I have sent an original WWI zeltbahn and asked to simply copy it. The result was poor material quality, wrong size and ridiculous metal parts. The price was not resonable, but not cheap.
I will not try that again, I would rather go for a supplier who is doing them and I have a chance to see the product or at least hear some comments about it.

I recommend you to choose your tailor carefully, I am not risking that again.

Schöne Grüße
Felix the Kraut
mutabornomine

Post by mutabornomine »

Stefan

I once had a zeltbahn made by a Ant-z militaria. I have sent an original WWI zeltbahn ( a very simple square one) and asked to simply copy it. The result was poor material quality, wrong size and ridiculous metal parts. The price was not resonable, but not cheap.
I will not try that again, I would rather go for a supplier who is doing them and I have a chance to see the product or at least hear some comments about it.

I recommend you to choose your tailor carefully, I am not risking that again.

Schöne Grüße
Felix the Kraut
Halle

Post by Halle »

Felix ,
Thank you for the benefit of your experience . You are right , of course , but I will be using a local Taylor , and the Windjackes will be made to measure - so , probably more expensive than buying an original , but of course , it will fit :D
The thought of sending the original to a " manufacturer " fills me with horror , one might never see it again .

In my opinion , there isn't a manufacturer who produces a " correct " Windjacke :( , which is why I've spent so much on a mint original , in order to get a proper copy .

Bergheil und Horrido !!
Oberleutnant Ulrich

What the Stabsfeldwebel is doing is actually very historical and accurate as well. It's a pity that ones does not trust their local tailor anymore and prefers to have it logged into a computer and have a machine do the uniform.

German soldier who could afford it would have their uniforms made by a private tailor. Often these tailors copied it from other examples. Of course they had more experience as there was a higher demand, but if Halle keeps going to the same tailor then that tailor will become just as experienced and provide, in my opinion, the most accurate repros as they will have that hand made look. Neigh perfect, but not machine perfect. Which will stand out and make others ask: is that an original?
Arthur

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”