German sniper badge was it worn ?

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
littletankman

German sniper badge was it worn ?

Post by littletankman »

Hi was the German sniper badge ever worn on tunics . I have never seen a picture of one in use (guessing that's rare) and at the end most would remove and ditch them? I'm trying to do a sniper impression just didn't want to go over the top by adding this patch . I only planed on the most basic one.

Thanks Andy
johankreig

Re: German sniper badge was it worn ?

Post by johankreig »

interesting question, i would guess that on parades etc.. then yes, but in the field snipers were not well liked, having one on your kit when captured is likely to lead to a nasty accident involving bullets or rope, will keep an eye on this topic, would be nice to find out.
Name: Jonathan
Johan Paul Kreig
Feldgendarmerie
Himmel Soldaten
Liebstandarte

Post by Liebstandarte »

Agreed. From what I understand the badge wasn`t widely worn in the field. You did not want to be recognised as a sniper if captured.
ImageImageImage

Am Arsch der Welt
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Thanks all that's what I thought . I found these but I believe this guy is in a Mountain troop unit so could be mountain troopers patch . And going on the position on the tunic I think it sits to high to be the sniper badge unless he put it were he wanted rather than the regulation position. But I think that's doubtful and its the mountain troops patch .

Last edited by littletankman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Just read that snipers were executed instantly on the Eastern front by the Russians (like we all know) . And all issued with this patch were warned to remove and conceal it if captured .

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... sQ&cad=rja
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

littletankman wrote:Thanks all that's what I thought . I found these but I believe this guy is in a Mountain troop unit so could be mountain troopers patch .

That's an Edelweiß for sure :-)
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Yep thought so .

Thanks Andy
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

So best/cheapest option is to not wear a patch or sew the shape of the patch to my tunic then distress the stitching . To simulate it being removed (in fear of capture).

Andy
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

The photo is of Sepp Allerberger who was a Gebirgsjager on the Russian Front. I believe he had 275 kill or so. His book "Sniper on the Eastern Front" is a great read to see how he worked his craft. Amazing how he ever survived. He used a Russian sniper rifle for quite a time and carried an MP40 for close up work. Always ready to chuck his sniper rifle to aviod being taken and executed as a sniper.
I agree that the badge was not prominately displayed on the combat uniform in most cases.

Jim
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Thanks Jim , I have read up on him but didn't realise there was a book . I'm not putting a sniper badge on my uniform . But have cut out a cardboard disc the size of the badge and then sewn around it , and distressed the stitching to imitate it being removed . Thats saved £10 or so , unless I get one and put it in my pocket . a bit pointless realy . So I wont bother with it .

Thanks Andy
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

The answer is.......NO!
shultz wuffenbach

Post by shultz wuffenbach »

mauser98 wrote:The photo is of Sepp Allerberger who was a Gebirgsjager on the Russian Front. I believe he had 275 kill or so. His book "Sniper on the Eastern Front" is a great read to see how he worked his craft. Amazing how he ever survived. He used a Russian sniper rifle for quite a time and carried an MP40 for close up work. Always ready to chuck his sniper rifle to aviod being taken and executed as a sniper.
I agree that the badge was not prominately displayed on the combat uniform in most cases.

Jim
In the book he sends all his awards back home........And it is a very good read
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

littletankman wrote:Thanks all that's what I thought . I found these but I believe this guy is in a Mountain troop unit so could be mountain troopers patch . And going on the position on the tunic I think it sits to high to be the sniper badge unless he put it were he wanted rather than the regulation position. But I think that's doubtful and its the mountain troops patch .

How can you know where his badge should be worn, when you don't have any pictoral evidence of these insignia being worn, let alone where.
CDB taking it way too serious!
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Because when it was created it came with the info on where to put it. Lower sleeve is correct.

I've heard from a Veteran that a fellow he knew was awarded the badge but as soon as he had sewn it on for a picture he tore it off as they were ordered to to move out. Just before the fire was put out, the badge was tossed in.

He also mentioned that when they were ordered to surrender, the first thing anyone did who had a telescopic sigh was to remove it and throw it far into the river as they knew if there was a sniper rifle found within the group and no one would say who it belonged to...then the whole group would pay.

Not only sniper badges were removed...US tankers took a disliking to seeing German infantry with a tank destruction badge on them...

Even Iron-Cross holders would be targeted at time if they were not officers.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
RZM

Post by RZM »

Some German snipers carried mosin nagant or SVT 40 rifles. I guess the idea was they could toss those before capture and be found with a MP or side arm to hide the fact that they are snipers.
The sniper badge wasn't really worn. Russians executed snipers. The badge was either tossed or sent home. At least by all accounts I've read. They are among the rarest awards to find or collect for this reason. I have a repro but I don't think it's acurate. The pics Ive seen of sopposed originals are crudely made. The one I have is flawless and all bullion. Doubtful an original looks like the one I have.
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."

Return to “Anything WWII!”