cap piping

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
2ND. PIONEER

cap piping

Post by 2ND. PIONEER »

Hello
I need to try and change the piping color
from white to purple (chaplain) on my REPRO. visor
cap. Has anybody done this? I have a few ideas
but want to get other ideas. And i stress this is
on a REPRODUCTION cap for my chaplain impression. Any suggestions would be great.

thank's
Brigardefuhrer

Re: cap piping

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Hi it has been asked before,you could use fabric paint pens or fabric paint and brush if you have a steady hand.I would'nt try felt pens I think the finnish would be patchy.You could get a 'Janke' chaplains cap from James Brown at Extraklasse £165 +pp,more expensive I know,but would look far better.John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
grenmartens

Post by grenmartens »

Brigardefuhrer wrote:You could get a 'Janke' chaplains cap from James Brown at Extraklasse £165 +pp,more expensive I know,but would look far better.John
I couldn't agree more - save your money and invest in a 'Janke' cap. Yes they may seem expensive but they are as close to an original cap as you will get and you will only be disappointed with any 'homemade' attempts at changing the colour on your current cap - stick it on ebay as a down payment on your new purchase!
2ND. PIONEER

Post by 2ND. PIONEER »

thanks for the advice, guess i'll need to save up
for a quality cap. In the meantime i'll try and color
the piping on the cap i have, i think i can get a good result i can live with untill i get a better
quality cap. A janke would still be way out of my price range like $300.00 + US currency
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Dont use felt pens lol, as soon as you go outside in the rain the colour comes out,
i tried it with a pair of shoulder straps for an experiment, unless you are a dab hand
with a needle and thread or know somebody who is you could try stitching some
piping on, the piping you can get off ebay, i managed to get some once, it would be
in the catagory Russia braid, i bought some for a soutache on my forage cap or try
sewing shops, if you can't sew i wouldn't attempt this as it is tricky especially for
what you intend to do, follow the advice above, basically buy one as other ideas
will not look as good, i will search the repro suppliers for a cheaper option than the
Janke cap for you
Pipes :wink:
Goethe

Post by Goethe »

I'd disagree, if you want to color match it and paint them, do it!

I took an original Gebirgsjäger hellgrün shoulder board off of a war-time windjacke, and matched the color perfectly to a paint pen and changed my M36 boards from Feldgendarm orange to the proper green many months ago, the color has faded slightly, but looks fantastic!

If you can get some high res shots of the proper waffenfarbe, go ahead and give it a run, it worked well for me!

Cheers,
Aaron
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Goethe wrote:I'd disagree, if you want to color match it and paint them, do it!

I took an original Gebirgsjäger hellgrün shoulder board off of a war-time windjacke, and matched the color perfectly to a paint pen and changed my M36 boards from Feldgendarm orange to the proper green many months ago, the color has faded slightly, but looks fantastic!

If you can get some high res shots of the proper waffenfarbe, go ahead and give it a run, it worked well for me!

Cheers,
Aaron
Lol i take it you haven't gone outside in the rain with them yet then?? :lol: :lol:
2ND. PIONEER

Post by 2ND. PIONEER »

I bought a felt tip FABRIC pen in purple
it says water proof and color fast, i tested it
and no runs or color fading. i havn't tried it on my
cap yet but hope to do it this weekend.
I know that regular felt pens will run like crazy
when wet i tried it on a set of shoulder a real mess.

I would appraciate if you could find a less expensive quality cap, thank you
Goethe

Post by Goethe »

Peiper wrote: Lol i take it you haven't gone outside in the rain with them yet then?? :lol: :lol:
Been a year of reenacting in rain, snow, mud, mountain climbing, and battle and only minor fading, nothing that couldn't be touched up with 2 minutes with a pen.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

2ND. PIONEER wrote: I would appraciate if you could find a less expensive quality cap, thank you
Try Spearhead Militaria on ebay, the guy that runs it is English named Barry Lyndon
but stuff is from China, the stuff is ok tbh, i have had stuff from him before but the
sort of stuff other dealers dont sell, anyway he has a large selection of caps in different
piping. if you can't see what you want send him a msg, he doesnt put everything on his
site, i have looked at other dealers and no one else does the purple chaplain piping :cry:
Anyway good luck, Pipes :wink:
2ND. PIONEER

Post by 2ND. PIONEER »

Thanks all of you for the advice i will follow up
on it. I did use the fabric marker on the cap i have
and i have to say it turned out much better than i hoped!! color is good, not that hard to do and
i tested the marker on some fabric and there was no running at all. These markers are made for fabric that can be washed without any problems.
thanks again
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

If you are in the U.S. (?) then Soldat do a cap upgrade service, replacing parts and re-colouring piping - no idea of cost, but maybe an option for you?

http://soldat.com/cap_rescue_service.htm

http://soldat.com/

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”