Helmet decals?

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

bellumbill

Helmet decals?

Post by bellumbill »

Hello All -

Just about finished up putting together my german kit - one of the last bits is to apply a single decal to my M40 helmet - Bought it from Ken at German Helmets Inc. - he does a great job, IMHO, BUT he doesn't apply decals. So, I am on my own.

A few points - Just found out today that Military Helmet Decals will no longer be able to supply dry transfer decals, which was my first choice because that is what the originals were.

So, now I am left with a water slide decal, which I have heard are difficult to apply and make look correct??

Any advice on how to proceed??

Thanks!

Bill
ShaneH

Re: Helmet decals?

Post by ShaneH »

Originals were put on with a varnish like the ones from decalhelmet which are the best and closest to originals you can get
2nd kompanie. 1st SS div. L.A.H
MG GUNNER
BGC
bellumbill

Post by bellumbill »

ShaneH wrote:Originals were put on with a varnish like the ones from decalhelmet which are the best and closest to originals you can get

So, the decals from Decal Helmet are, in fact, dry transfer decals applied with a laquer?? Or are they wet slide decals with laquer applied over them???

BTW, they look great, probably will purchase a set - - I am just trying to get some understanding for my own edification of the difference between how originals were applied and how current decals are applied.

Thanks!

Bill K.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Early decals were varnish and later became water slide also were available in canteens as private purchase,these came on rolls.
Early decals came on sheets.
Here is a nice video showing them being place on the helmet.I think these are the water slide type being used but I'm not positive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqyaOvXvSnE
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
bellumbill

Post by bellumbill »

DER SOLDATEN wrote:Early decals were varnish and later became water slide also were available in canteens as private purchase,these came on rolls.
Early decals came on sheets.
Here is a nice video showing them being place on the helmet.I think these are the water slide type being used but I'm not positive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqyaOvXvSnE
Soldaten -

Thanks for the info! First I have heard that water slide decals were ever used on german helmets. On other forums I have heard they aren't correct, that the only correct decals are the dry varnish type - Now I have some info. to refute that!

So, considering that decals were ordered off helms in, what, 1942?? when you say "later" they became water slide, what year do you mean?? Again, just looking for more info. for my own education.

Thanks again for the great info.

Bill K.
conrad uno

Post by conrad uno »

bellumbill wrote:So, the decals from Decal Helmet are, in fact, dry transfer decals applied with a laquer?? Or are they wet slide decals with laquer applied over them???
Bill K.
the 'perfect laquer' decals from decal helmet are water slide, but an adhesive is used to fix them to the helmet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KAtEF15l44
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

I don't know there year these were introduced.But you can see them on helmets online.The varnish decals tend to leave a silver residue behind when flaking off and are thicker. The water slides pleel a bit easier. There are also different addlers for different makers and years.There are also parade dress eagles so I'm told.I'm still learning myself. Are you on Wehrmacht awards? There is a ton of info on there.
I will see if I can find more info for you. Also the pictures of the private purchase ones.
I used water slide decals on my M42.
First I heated it up until it was hot to the touch added the decal and then quickly smoothed out the bubbles.
Then after doing this I heated it up again(the helmet) with a hair dryer.
The next step is to use a dull coat or varnish the seal it on.
The last step is to once again heat up the helmet until it is really hot.
This will bond the decal to the paint.
It will not come off unless you want it too.Even then it is hard .
Of course it will chip as anything in the field does.
Note if you do not use a clear coat.The first due or rain that touches the helmet will extract the decal.It will simply float away.
This will also work for rough textured helmets. Be careful not to rub to hard on textile helmets.Also be careful not to place direct heat on your decal.
Heat the helmet from the inside. Do this heating process about three of four times.
I will try and find more info.
Heat the helmet from the inside.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

This has most of the info you are looking for. I will still search for the private purchase ones.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

ShaneH wrote:Originals were put on with a varnish like the ones from decalhelmet which are the best and closest to originals you can get
Thanks for the info on these decals,I have been wanting some of these for a long while for my M35.
any info on helmet parts? Such as liners and chinstaps.
I use this site.
http://germanhelmetsinc.com/
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

http://helmetsofwar.com/restored-helmets-sale/
Pretty nice site with original, restored and info on German helmets and decals.
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

the most authentic texture feldgrau helmets are being made by german helmets.inc 8)

The best repro is an original...
Zschakel

Post by Zschakel »

Kriegsberichter und Felddrucker der Wehrmacht
fallschirmjaeger
Location: UK, Bedfordshire, WW2 Helmet Replication and Restoration County!

Post by fallschirmjaeger »

Military Helmet & Hat Replication & Refurbishment
Now Available WW2 US Airborne Clickers- Airborne Crickets:
http://www.airborne-cricket.com/
Now Available Military Whistles - WarWhistles:
http://www.warwhistles.com/
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Personally i used the water slide decals then used clear matt finish varnish spray over the
top, i had some "aged" decals from a US company which worked out well but the normal
type slide decals are just as good, with the normal ones i just a rub a bit of dust on them
before applying the clear varnish spray, this gives them a used combat look.

Pipes :wink:
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”