Travel tips for a yank

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
dbloge

Travel tips for a yank

Post by dbloge »

I will be in the London area next month for a few days. What are some WWII related sites/museums in the area besides the Imperial War Museum. Any must sees?

Thanks in advance,

DL
daveslastsummer

Re: Travel tips for a yank

Post by daveslastsummer »

Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast and RAF Museum London, all well worth a visit!
"Occupy Everything!"

http://www.panzerkorpsgd.co.uk
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

daveslastsummer wrote:Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast and RAF Museum London, all well worth a visit!

Thanks for the tips, the HMS Belfast will be closed at the time though :(
Perhaps I can see it when I'm back there in June.
Any other tips?

Thanks, DL
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Avoid Mosques.

On a serious note - Cabinet War Rooms, RAF Museum Hendon, IWM, Firepower at Woolwich, Britain at War on Tooley Street...... Don't limit yourself to WWII - :London has lots of fantastic museums such as the V&A, Natural History Museum. Science Museum and of course the British Museum. Are you alone or staying with friends? If they have transport perhaps they can take you further afield and you could visit an event to meet some of the names who appear on here? Royal Gunpowder Mills at Waltham are hosting an event at the beginning of May - you would receive a warm welcome there I am sure.

Whatever you do and see - Enjoy your visit to Li'l ole Britain and make the most of it - We will probably have been bought out by a Multinational by the time you get here again. :D
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Continuing the 'outside of WWII' theme take a jack the ripper tour. I've taken one with these guys and it was excellent with hand-held projectors and all sort of gubbins. The guides all really know their stuff and at £8 for a two hour tour you can't beat the value.
Have a good wander round the murder sites, then park yourself in the Ten Bells Pub, where a couple of the victims were last seen alive, and play Sherlock Holmes!
Enjoy your stay camerade
PW
http://www.thejacktherippertour.com/
meyer

Post by meyer »

And don't drive on the right
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

I will be staying in hostels during my overseas trip. I believe I will miss the event by just a few days:( think the event. Thanks for the other museum tips. I think Greece still wants a few of their building parts back from the BM ;) The jack the Ripper tour looks interesting. I wont be doing any driving over there so everyone can continue to drive on the wrong side of the road ;)

Thanks again, DL

Return to “Anything WWII!”