aged gear.

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Pz Gren Hoffmann

Re: aged gear.

Post by Pz Gren Hoffmann »

You didn't really get my point.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

grenmartens wrote:
DER SOLDATEN wrote:I was unclear on the bread bag .Guy showed up at an event with a bread bag made of two different bags he replaced the whole back side .
A called it a field repair.It took two bag to make one. Where did he get the other bag?
Where would a German soldier find super glue in 1942.
A nick in a bag is nothing same as a tunic and socks.
But total replacement of a sleeve is just stupid.To make a whole new bag is also stupid.
So as you guys see it there were never replacement items given to troops.
This also means that you guys can at last use those short pre war gas mask canisters .
I don't recall any German soldiers in ww2 having 10 year old gear.Unless you count the WWI helmets that were so common.
I tried once to use tape on my K98 when the stock broke in half worked like a dream, on the extractor too.
If I lost my mess kit and canteen I would make sure I found it. I'm sure the Russians would not mind me searching for it.
Hell I would just go naked before I would take clothes from a dead guy with winter fast approaching.What would the others in my unit think of me.
I would love to see some field repair made to German leather equipment with just a sewing kit.

Web I can see, wool I can see. But leather with one of those needles forget it.
We are talking about combat on a major scale not just being in the army when there is nothing going on.
Not to say that you guys have not seen combat.
But how long were you there and was it a world war?

This is not 1980, we are talking ww2.
Mate - you (along with many like you) are one of the reasons that this forum is increasingly pointless. You stay in your world and ignore folks that might just have a little more of a handle on things than you - because it's suits your opinion and delusion.

Why bother coming on here with a question if the only answer you're looking for is the one that you want to here :shock:

I'll leave you to it - 'soldier' :lol:

PS. Thousands of WW2 German Bread Bags were manufactured using two diffferent types of cloth by the way - the back panal was frequently produced in a different linen weave to the front section. As I'm sure you were aware!
Exactly the reason many Alte Hassen do not contribute or even come on much any more - There has always been two tier re-enacting - The gap between it is now filled with a variety of fantasists and nutters of varying hues. A lot of what I got kicked in the nuts for a decade or more ago is now reality - I stopped "preaching" - preferring to get on with what I do - That will continue. That is all.
mikebie

Post by mikebie »

Hoffman Grink wrote: Exactly the reason many Alte Hassen do not contribute or even come on much any more - There has always been two tier re-enacting - The gap between it is now filled with a variety of fantasists and nutters of varying hues. A lot of what I got kicked in the nuts for a decade or more ago is now reality - I stopped "preaching" - preferring to get on with what I do - That will continue. That is all.
Never a truer word, Sir. And I thought it was just my perception!

Onward and...upward!! (or in the case of us brolly danglers, downward!)
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Thanks for just saying what I'd like to, in a way I'd like to but am too unsubtle and lack the empathy to do.
It seems to be a symptom of the world, they dont care what is right, they care about what suits their agenda.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Then the formum is yours.
Goodbye.
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

DER SOLDATEN wrote:Then the formum is yours.
Goodbye.
Seen all this shit before too - You'll be back - crying foul - claiming bullying - calling us nazis. Water, duck, back

What people need to realise is that this hobby is fast becoming a parody and a pastiche of Hollywood. Some people remember what it was all about and some groups still maintain the ethos that sparked this pastime/lifestyle - but they are now a dwindling minority.

If you don't think you're going to like the answer - Don't ask the question - and if you don't want to do this right - Then don't freak when someone who does do it right tells you what a bag of shite you are. Thank you and that is all.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Hoffman Grink wrote:
DER SOLDATEN wrote:Then the formum is yours.
Goodbye.
Seen all this shit before too - You'll be back - crying foul - claiming bullying - calling us nazis. Water, duck, back

What people need to realise is that this hobby is fast becoming a parody and a pastiche of Hollywood. Some people remember what it was all about and some groups still maintain the ethos that sparked this pastime/lifestyle - but they are now a dwindling minority.

If you don't think you're going to like the answer - Don't ask the question - and if you don't want to do this right - Then don't freak when someone who does do it right tells you what a bag of shite you are. Thank you and that is all.
I'm not that sensitive. If I'm wrong. Point me in the right direction.Tell me what is wrong.
Tell me what was wrong with my thread.Instead of bashing me.
What is the correct way?
m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot »

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... hlight=M43

Take a look at this thread everybody. Some uniforms are shown with extensive wartime repairs. Tunic in posts #7-12 has many repairs, and shows nap wear consistent with being originally an SS uniform. This jacket could have been removed from a dead man, or from a seriously wounded person at a Lazarett, repaired and reissued.

There are many other examples of repaired, reissued, and other interesting uniforms in that thread. I suggest everybody take a look.

:D
STEIGE AUS DEM BETT, DREH' DEN SWAG AUFFFFFF
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Back to the first point, yes, equipment was new at some point, but it was being used every day, not just at certain weekends in the summer.
I think that most re-enactors/living historians will try to strive for the worn look as it makes more sense if you're trying to portray a soldier that has been in a war.
(I only hope people are using more repro things now than original bits)
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Halle

Post by Halle »

I've been reenacting about seven or eight years , nowhere near what some people have , but in that time , because I've worn pretty much the same gear at every event , plus , where feasible in my day to day life , it's acquired a worn in and faded look , from the bread bag , tunic , great coat and soft cap to my half boots . Every now and again I wear something new with old items and it stands out as such , but I think this not unrealistic . I've made minor repairs to most of my gear but none of it shows , if something got completely ruined I'd probably replace it . Personally , I think my impression is ok , it seems to tally with many of the original photos and films I've seen which is where I've get most of my ideas from .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Pz Gren Hoffmann wrote:You didn't really get my point.
Yes I did. I was talking about the same thing. But somehow the bread bag threw off this whole thread.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

My name is Hans Melker and I was a member of the 1st Company, Infanterie Regiment 169. We are part of the 68th Division. Our emblem was a bear!

Were you issued iron rations?
Yes, you could only eat them if your officer told you to. It was Zwieback and Fleischkonserven (canned meat). Sometimes we would find these little piles of equipment of men who had been wounded and sent back. Some of the men would take the iron rations out of the Brotbeutel if there were any there and eat them. I could never do this.

:roll: What a farb. On the eastern front of alll things.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Mikkel wrote:Well said grenmartens. That sadly rings very true of too many discussions here. it seem people are more interested in having others to say that their fantasy ideas are ok, than doing substantial research themselves. It moves reenactment from 'living history' into the category of 'fantasy dress up'.
What was fantasy? I'm very interested you have all called me out. so please explain.
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

My apologies if you took offense from my writings. They were not aimed at you in particular, but at the emerging trend in general.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”