ALL THE NEWBIE QUESTIONS

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Hoffman Grink

Re: ALL THE NEWBIE QUESTIONS

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I've come to realise over the years that you can't lead reenactors by the nose. So by just simply putting the information out there it's hoped that some at least will pick up on it. Others then might follow. The great problem still lies in some not wishing to or indeed actually sharing. Knowledge seems to be hoarded and guarded for some reason.
barryG

Post by barryG »

Well, I shall be getting some of those translated manuals for sure :wink:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

barryG wrote:Well, I shall be getting some of those translated manuals for sure :wink:
You'll be running your own group before long Barry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

So? Where can I buy a ready badged up sexy black panzer choonic even though I intend to portray Lufty? Rubbish thread for those of us that know it all already :wink:
I am the bane of pointy stick forums, thrice banned for honesty, hater of internet re enactors ( you know, the ones that know everything but never do an event).
Rodian

Post by Rodian »

(If this is the wrong place to post my question, admins feel free to move it)

I'll be getting a pair of lowboots for my DAK impression and was wondering if the Afrika Korps used gaiters, if the answer is yes...any reccomended suppliers?

Thanks in advance :)
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Rodian wrote:(If this is the wrong place to post my question, admins feel free to move it)

I'll be getting a pair of lowboots for my DAK impression and was wondering if the Afrika Korps used gaiters, if the answer is yes...any reccomended suppliers?

Thanks in advance :)
The DAK gaiters are out there, i think SOF still does them but reading through various books and pics
it looks as though normal gaiters were worn, although faded, infact an orig pair i picked up last yr for £30
look like DAK ones but are not, otherwise just boots, the high leg and low canvas type and the
normal low leather ones, see im quite happy to share info lol, what people do with it then
is up to them?? heh heh :lol:

Pipes
Rodian

Post by Rodian »

Thanks, Peiper. :)

I actually had a pair of DAK , SOF-made gaiters which I had ordered by mistake...though I sold them some time ago.

I have an original pair now, so I'll be using those.

When I finally have all the kit, I could maybe go to Namibia next holiday and take a couple of pics there. I would really look the part standing on a sand dune in the middle of the desert. :P
valkyrie895

Post by valkyrie895 »

In the theme of the thread,
Back when I was very new to reenactment, I had just purchased an A frame and could not find anywhere a comprehensive guide on how to pack it correctly. Would anybody think it would be helpful to the newbie reenactors if i made a photographic instruction sheet showing the steps to properly pack the A-frame with correct contents? Or does nobody really care?
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
Heinz O. Kaufmann

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

You mean guides like these?

http://www.mp44.nl/equipment/a_frame.htm
http://www.mp44.nl/equipment/a_frame_bag.htm

Wasn't the A-frame bag intented to store clothing and emergency rations also? What else?
valkyrie895

Post by valkyrie895 »

Similar to that, but more in depth. That guide does not show you the regulation method to fold the zeltbahn, the specific contents or placement of bag contents, or how to roll and attach a blanket. These are things we think of as obvious, but a newbie would have no idea about.

Derweil ich eben lad'.
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
Botty

Post by Botty »

Quality time on Der Erste Zug website is time well spent.

http://www.dererstezug.com/navigation.htm

also note the Zeltbahn was to be folded in a different way each time to prevent constantly stressing the same threads so breaking them and destroying the waterproof duck weave.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

There used to be the translated Reibert manual available, Morigi used to do these,
i dont know who still does???

For those who dont know the Reibert manual was the Army training manual, in it
was all the information/diagrams you could need about Zeltbahns, how to wear them,
fold them, how to wear the A frame and different ways of wearing equipment and loads
of other intresting information, it was named after the officer who wrote it, i think most
of these diagrams floating round the internet was taken from this book??

Regards Pipes :wink:
valkyrie895

Post by valkyrie895 »

yeah, we all know about said manuals and whatnot source for info, but someone brand new to the hobby would not know of such things. You have the figure in the dumbass/laziness factor.

Derweil ich eben lad'.
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

www.germanmanuals.com have a 1943 Reibert and plenty of other wonderful books and booklets for you to learn from.
http://www.germanmanuals.com/images/Reibert-0.jpg
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

valkyrie895 wrote:yeah, we all know about said manuals and whatnot source for info, but someone brand new to the hobby would not know of such things. You have the figure in the dumbass/laziness factor.
No probs Valky, was just posting it for the "newbies" who perhaps didn't know about it lol

Regards Pipes :wink:

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”