can a deact be used to fire blanks?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
kurt koniger

can a deact be used to fire blanks?

Post by kurt koniger »

Is it legal to enable a deact weapon to fire blanks? I checked the VCR and firearms act on line and didn't see anything that said no. If replica weapons can be, then am I right in thinking deacts can be too?
ssparatrooper

Re: can a deact be used to fire blanks?

Post by ssparatrooper »

you cannot re activate a de act

why on earth would you want to? get an fac, live guns are cheaper than de acts and legal
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

NO.
A deactivated firearm is just that. Altering it IN ANY WAY causes it to revert back to its former status. This curiously means even if you make it LESS functional. The firearm is deactivated in such a way as to conform with legal requirements - it is inspected by a Proof House and certified as deactivated in that state. To alter the state of the deactivation in any way invalidates the proof house certification.

VCRA is concerned with knife crime, violent crime and mainly Replica Imitation Firearms. Deactivated weapons are largely (but not entirely outside the remit of VCRA.

When you say replica weapons can be used to fire blanks then you are presumably referring to MGC MP40s which are the only mainstream replica In know capable of being converted to sustained use as blank firing articles. The danger here lies in the conversion - If one is found to be "readily convertible" to fire a projectile then it will fall foul of the law.

Sorry to go on at length but there is so much interpretation and mis-interpretation of a set of very complicated laws relating to firearms and now imitation firearms that it is important to be clear. You MUST be objective when dealing with this subject and not try to bend or lean your interpretations to favour your cause.

Deactivated weapons can not be converted to blank fire EXCEPT - By a qualified, licensed engineer/gunsmith and only then will they revert back to section 5 (in the case of a fully automatic or selective fire, semi automatic weapon) or Section 1 in the case of a manual centrefire rifle blah blah blah......

Hope this answers your question and prevents you falling foul of the law.
kurt koniger

Post by kurt koniger »

I have no intention of , nor did I suggest in my original post enabling any weapon to fire a projectile, which seems to be the way in which the law views the difference. I posted the question because the law states ,that it is permissable to convert a replica to fire blanks, as long as it cannot fire a projectile, therefore I [in full knowldge of the old saying about arses and you and me] made the assumtion that, if a weapon is incapable of firing a projectile, it is then no longer any more than a replica, in the respect that it no longer requires a license as it is incapable of firing a procectile. Therefore it is not unreasonable to assume [there I go again] that it could be treated in the same manner. It is also ,more than obvious to me that any such undertaking., must be carried out by an appropriate profesional ? I may be totaly missing the point here but hey, it was just a question, not a statement of intent. Thanks for your time
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Thank you for that explanation - Could you direct me to the portion of law that states it is permissible to convert a replica to fire blank please? The law is so convoluted that I may have missed it.

Having re-read my OP it does not infer that you personally had any intent nor that you wished to make anything capable of firing a projectile. I merely paraphrased current legislation for general information.

The advice stands - Any alteration to a deactivated weapon causes the deactivation to be null and void. It is not permissible for a general member of the public to alter a deactivated weapon for the purposes of firing blank.

I have deep personal knowledge of registered persons re-instating deactivated weapons legally in order to press them back into service as Theatrical Section 5 weapons. Dependant on the level and type of deactivation it can be a very tricky business.
kurt koniger

Post by kurt koniger »

I just looked at the act again ,it refers to deactivated weapons as weapons rendered incapable of firing shot bullets or projectiles and says they must be certified as such by the appropriate authority. By definition in that case, a weapon in order to be reactivated, must be rendered capable of performing such an action. To enable such a weapon to fire blanks would not automaticly render said weapon capable of firing shot etc. The offence is only commited if, the gun is rendered capable of firing projectiles blah blah blah....I still may be missing something ?
kurt koniger

Post by kurt koniger »

I'd never attempt to do such a thing as a D I Y project, anything would have to be done and properly tested by a profesional. I can't even spell, let alone do anything like that
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Many years ago,when I applied to add a pistol to my FAC,the firearms officer at the local station,posed this question to me,what if you get a de-act and convert it to fire blank,after a pause I replied "would'nt that contravine the fire arms act".He started to stutter and said no,no it should be alright,"well I replied I would'nt want one".Oh well I'll put the application through,but I don't think you'll get it.One week later my pistol was granted,I think he was testing me.I cannot see any gunsmith under taking such a project,to re activate a deact,even to fire blanks would not be LEGAL,the police would argue if it could fire a blank then it would capable of firing a live round.Are you a member of a recognised re-enactment group,if so your groups firearm officer would tell you what is legal and what is not.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
kurt koniger

Post by kurt koniger »

I think I know where my fanastic idea falls down. The part that reads easily made capable of firing projectiles ( or words to that effect) I still think that the whole area is a little fuzzy, but am aware of my position in the legal food chain.
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Unfortunatly,there have been reports that 'wannabe' 'gangsta's were using blank fire pistols and placing ball bearings in the upward vent so they could 'pop a cap' in any one that gave them disrespect,its a wonder they did not blow there hands off,but its acts like this that ruin our hobby.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
grenmartens

Post by grenmartens »

ssparatrooper wrote:you cannot re activate a de act

why on earth would you want to? get an fac, live guns are cheaper than de acts and legal
Absolutely - end of debate. This is definitely not a 'grey area' in law and you really wouldn't want to test that unless you've got about seven years to spare!
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

As all of the above posts you would be making a deac live again in trying to make it fire blanks.
For example, a K98, to get a deac to chamber a round you would need to remove the obstruction in the receiver. That is added as a part of the deac process. Removing it negates the deac status of the rifle, it is now considered a firearm again and must be licensed.
When the rifle is deac'd the face of the bolt is cut as is the firing pin. To get a deac to hold a blank round in the chamber and strike the primer you would need to fit a new flat faced bolt and a full length firing pin. That would change the status of the deac to a firearm and it must be licensed.
You dont have to do both actions, just one is enough to land you in deep, hot water.
Any action that you perform on a deac weapon that changes the state of the deac process reverts the weapon to a firearm and it must be licensed.
Dont mess with a deac.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

The term is Replica. A deactivated weapon is not a replica. It is a genuine Firearm that has been deactivated. Now just because a live weapon has not been deemed capable of firing a shot (Eg proofed) doesnt mean its a non controlled item. Rectivating a deactivated weaons is somthing that happens. Gunsmith do do it. But there is alway a reason. If is a rare item or is needed for a specific job. But this doesnt mean you can just reactivate it. Certain parts will need to be completely replaced. But theres no need for anyone in the reenacting world to do it. if you want a K98 then you will need to get an FAC. Simples.
BaggyPants

Post by BaggyPants »

kurt koniger wrote:I just looked at the act again ,it refers to deactivated weapons as weapons rendered incapable of firing shot bullets or projectiles and says they must be certified as such by the appropriate authority. By definition in that case, a weapon in order to be reactivated, must be rendered capable of performing such an action. To enable such a weapon to fire blanks would not automaticly render said weapon capable of firing shot etc. The offence is only commited if, the gun is rendered capable of firing projectiles blah blah blah....I still may be missing something ?
Part of the deactivation process is the blocking of the chamber to prevent rounds being chambered. To remove this, you would be reversing part of the deactivation process and rendering the weapon "live" again, wether you intended to fire projectiles or blanks. It matters not in the eyes of the law why it was done, merely that it was.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

After reading the Op I probably should of added its Not legal for anyone to reactivate a deac firearm. If Just any Tom Dick or Harry decides to do it they ARE falling foul of the law.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”