Salute 2010 Thank you

European discussion. Post events here too.
Jonny

Re: Salute 2010 Thank you

Post by Jonny »

Shalom Berlin1945.. :lol:

Berlin1945 is Martin ..."AKA Shergar" or "Joe Rafferty" lol..

As for the Israel , I was living there for quite a while at the start of the year, and seen allot of German related stuff, in the markets in Tel Aviv, near the Dizengoff Centre there was a horde of German ww2 related stuff, it was all top Dollar :cry: Although I got a cheap original W-SS Tropical Arm Eagle in Eilat witch I later sold over on WAF!

As for armour I have a few friends in the IDF and they took me while I was living in the West bank to see some wrecks, We drove all around for a few days and I seen lots of stuff, I even seen American Halftracks still laying around. Moreover the countless ammo and bits and bobs laying around. I found 50cal shells and scores of other rounds I even found a used flare and parachute.. I took the parachute!

Plus I visited the Yad La'Shiryon in Latrun. There was a few German Tanks and a nice Stug....

Have a look here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yad_La-Shiryon#German

Also, the Salute show is normally a good show, but we had a training weekend over the same weekend some r&r from the shows to play with our new Location! Moreover the Curragh it was super relaxed and was a great show, but for Berlin1945, I am not to sure if it was so relaxing for you :roll:

Regards to all!

Jonny
Last edited by Jonny on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Sturmschar wrote:This is quite an interesting thread, I know next to Jack Sh1t about the German armour used in the middle east and am interested to learn something. I would hope that it does not descend in some kind of apparently paranoid spat about who is calling who what!
Hello Sturmschar thanks for your response, all threads tend to run off topic and there is no intention on my behalf to engage in spats on this or any forum as it is not my way... however when in the middle east I found it extremely interesting to learn that the Russians and Hungarians gave massive military equipment support to the israelis in the form off German WW2 equipment to fight in 1948 and beyond that and then when the Israelis changed to pro American tendencies then the Russians then gave military support to the Syrians whoever i do believe some of the Stug's that Syria had were purchased from either Spain or Portugal. see below information

After May of 1945, production of Hetzer (also abandoned and damaged vehicles were repaired) now designated ST(Stihac Tanku)-I continued at Skoda and Praga Works in Czechoslovakia until early 1960s. Along with ST-I, 50 unarmed training versions (some were fitted with superstructures) designated as ST-III/CVP were produced. In 1949, modified hull of ST-I (with removed armament and opening enclosed) was mounted with modified PzKpfw 38(t) turret. The turret was armed with 7.92mm ZPB-A or 7.62mm DT-28 machine gun (left side) and German Flammenwerfer 41 flamethrower (right side). This flamethrowing tank was designated PM-I and prototype was completed in 1951. It was tested in 1953, but in 1955 Czechoslovak army was not interested in such vehicle anymore and PM-I was cancelled. In 1950, CKD produced prototype of tractor/recovery vehicle based on ST-I, designated Praga VT-III. Czechoslovakian Army was equipped with some 249 ST-1 in 1949 and used them until mid/late 1950s. Hetzers were probably used after the war by Swedish until early 1960s. Swiss army purchased some 158 Hetzers by 1947 and retained them designated as G-13, until early 1970s. G-13 were armed with 75mm Stuk 40 gun as planned by German designers during the war. G-13s were a subject of various modifications which were made by Swiss Army in order to keep them up-to-date (eg. some were fitted with 6-cylinder, 150hp diesel engines and were designated G-13D). In addition, Swiss army ordered tractor/recovery vehicle based on G-13, designated by CKD as Praga DT-III. Also, Israel was interested in purchasing 65 ST-Is, but because of their high price (twice higher than that of a Sherman) transaction was never completed.
Pz. IV:

During the war, Panzer IV was exported and used by Hungarian (52), Romanian (100), Bulgarian (46), Finnish (15), Spanish (20) and Croatian armored formations. In 1943, small number of Ausf G tanks was sold to Turkey. From 1941 to 1943, Russians captured large numbers of PzKpfw III, Sturmgeschutz III and PzKpfw IV. Some were pressed into temporary service (e.g. being used as "Trojan Horses" or as "bait") , while some were converted to assault guns designated SU-76i and SG-122A.

In 1949/50, Finns converted their Panzer IV(s) into (unsuccessful) mineclearing vehicles and from 1951 until September of 1962, used them for training purposes.

In 1950/60s, number of Panzer IV Ausf H sold to Syria by USSR, France, Czechoslovakia and Spain (17) was still used by Syrian Army during Arab-Israeli conflicts of 1966/1967.

Syrians supposedly sold few of their PzKpfw IVs to Cubans before the overthrow of Batista by Castro in 1958, but it is unconfirmed. Few of Syrian PzKpfw IVs were captured by Israelis at the Golan Heights (dug in as bunkers) and one is on display at the Museum of Armored Forces at Latrum, Israel.

Since the beginning of the war, Panzerkampfwagen IV became tactically the most important German tank of World War II that saw service until 1967.

StuG III:

Sturmgeschutz was also exported to Germany's allies: Romania (119 Ausf F/8 and G), Bulgaria (55 Ausf G) , Hungary (40 Ausf G), Italy (5 Ausf G), Spain (10 Ausf F/8 and G) and Finland (59 Ausf G). Stug III Ausf G was known to Romanian Army as TAS T-III (tun de asalt T-III) and remained in service until early 1950s. In Bulgaria, Stug III Ausf G was known as SO-75.

During the war, Croatia, Sweden, Portugal, Turkey and Switzerland were interested in purchasing Stug III (40)s and StuH 42s but transactions were never finalized.

After the war ended, approximately 28 Stug III Ausf Gs found their way to Syria from France, Spain and Romania and served there until 1967. Few were captured by Israelis at the Golan Heights and atleast one is on display at the Museum of Armored Forces at Latrum.

Some Stug III Ausf Gs were also used by Norway along with PzKpfw IIIs - for more info visit Norwegian Panzers article. Small number was also used by Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia.

In 1943, Finland bought 30 Stug III Ausf Gs (early model) and in the summer of 1944, another 29 Stug III Ausf Gs (middle/late model). Finish Stugs received the tactical marking Ps (Panssarivaunu - armored vehicle) 531 followed by the number of the vehicle (e.g. Ps.531-19). The crews for the first 30 Stug III Ausf Gs were trained in Germany.

Finns modified their Stugs during the battles of 1944. Modifications included the addition of three wooden logs to both sides of the superstructure, armor around the gun mantlet was reinforced with concrete, tracks were mounted on the lower front hull and both sides of the hull along with stowage bins. The original German MG-34 machine gun was replaced with Soviet 7.62mm DT machine gun, which was in Finnish opinion more reliable.

Crew training was very demanding and for example gunners had to write their names on a sheet of paper hanging on a tree with a pencil attached to the gun barrel using the gun aiming wheels. Stugs equipped the Assault Gun Battalion of the Finish Armored Division. Total amount of enemy tanks destroyed by Finnish Stugs was 87 tanks, while own losses were 8 assault-guns. Highest score for single Stug was 11 kills by Ps.531-10 commanded by Senior Sergeant Börje Brotell and gunner Corporal Olli Soimala. Börje Brotell's Stug III Ps.531-10 is today restored and located in the home of Finnish Armour, the Armoured brigade's garrison at Parola, near barracks of 1st Armor Company.

In post-war years, Finns modified their vehicles even further by mounting a plate cover over the driver's visor, new headlight near the driver's position, as well as large stowage box on the right hand side and handles. Some vehicles were mounted with additional armor plates on the hull sides behind the road wheels. Modified Stugs remained in active service with Finnish Army until 1966. After that they were used for target practice or were dug into the ground around some important airfields to serve as protection against "unwanted landings". Today a few of them are restored and preserved in museums in Finland, England and Germany.

Panther:

After the war, many French Army tank units were equipped with Panthers (eg. 503rd Tank Battalion in Mourmelon had 50 Panthers in 1947 and 501rd Tank Battalion used Panthers from 1946 to 1950). Other post-war users included Bulgaria (Bulgarian Panthers), Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania and Yugoslavia. After the war, modified Panther's 75mm KwK 42 L/70 gun was produced by French as 75mm DEFA and CN75-50 gun. It was used by them in a number of light tanks (eg. AMX 13) and armored cars (eg. EBR 75). Also, Israelis used the gun to upgrade their M50 Super Sherman. In 1947, Sweden received single Panzerbefehlswagen Panther Ausf A from France as a gift, which was then handed over to Germany in 1960/61 and is today on display in the Panzermuseum Munster. In late 1940s, Israeli high command was considering starting production of modified Panther but it was never realized
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Jonny , if indeed what you say is true then this would be quite serious .As the person who calls himself Shergar was Banned from this forum for life some time ago . I will look into this , thank you.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Hi SchnellMeyer,

Well the tell tale signs are there...

If you search his posts on here you can clearly see who it is, he also contacted a new member of our group(unknown to Berlin1945 that he joined our group) with his Berlin1945 account unveiling himself to our new member (thats how I know).
He has been popping up at events dressed in a SS Uniform as a MOP... :roll:

I would hope that Berlin1945 is removed from our great forum, and for those of you that dont know him well to cut all ties with him as he is a known trouble maker, and has no WW2 reenactment group nor is a member of a WW2 German Group on our Island.

Regards

Rttf J.Stolzer

Joint Secretary of SG-Nord
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

Unbelievable.

A good, interesting thread regardless of who berlin1945 is or isnt, highjacked by a couple of childish, self centred, self opinionated cretins. Do what needs to be done by PM not out here.

Thank god I resigned as moderator. I would ban both of you witch hunting bastards.
Hang your heads in shame............................
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Think what you want Reich Crispies, but the facts remain that a person who was banned from this forum is back posting under another name and when confronted to tell us who he is , declined .
You were also not on the receiving end of his hate campaign , had you been you would fully understand our position .
If you retired as a Mod then that was your decision and none of my business .
If you want to lower the tone by calling me a bastard , then I really dont care , you have only let yourself down , shame on you too .

re-enactment group
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

If you want to lower the tone by calling me a bastard , then I really dont care , you have only let yourself down , shame on you too .
Call it as I see it.

Why do this "out in the open"? You want to start a flame war or witch hunt on here?
Couldnt care less. lower the tone of the place.

If Berlin1945 is Shergar, and I dont know if it is, hes been gone a long time & isnt particularly active on the scene.
If it is him, then why not wait till he starts something up instead of trolling and baiting?
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

And I too called it as I saw it , if you were still a Mod you would have cleasrly seen in the Mods section that a member has confirmed that they are one of the same , fact .
This is not a witch hunt here but he is banned and it is that simple , I know his group is gone and he is not active on the scene but why must he hide behind a new user name . He would be a far better person to apologise to the people who he wronged in the past and then we could move forward .
Reich Crispies , I have been reenacting since 1987 and I have NEVER wronged anybody , I just want fair play .
If you want to take this up with me by PM then that is fine by me .

re-enactment group
Rosselsprung

Post by Rosselsprung »

Guten tag!
Re Salute...the show DID previously grow, and had a German WW2 display last year,namely Battle Group South. However, BGS were not in attendance this year, so Im wondering who the Allies had to skirmish against?Redcoats, romans and american civil war just like the Kinsale show maybe...must say it was both hilarious and saddening there to see the Roman army locked in combat against German "Commandos" armed with martini henry carbines and break open shotguns at that particular event.
and on another thing just for your info, to paraphrase a much repeated utterance made on this island a few years ago...he hasnt gone way you know...seen at the curragh show this year large as life, hobnobbing and pressing the flesh. Feeling brave again no doubt.
Alles fur Deutchland!
Rosselsprung
Rosselsprung
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

I have every sympathy with Neil – as previously stated this started to become an interesting thread on a subject which I know little about. Suddenly out of the blue it turns into some witless internecine war about what folks names are and who calls who what and frankly who gives a sh1t! If you want to squabble then sod off into the playground (PM land) and let the rest of us get on with each other.
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Sturmschar , like Neil you are entitled to your opinion , even if you dont not know what the true story is or for that matter ever bothered to find out . Just because you guys were not f--ked over by this person , you dont care about the people who were .
Do you really think I enjoy this crap , I have better things to do with my spare time .
If berlin1945/Shergar is banned from this forum then he should not be posting here , full stop .
I have no problem what so ever with this topic as the Salute show was pretty good and I was there , this is not an attack on the show and I want to make that clear .
I have made alot of good friends on this forum and have always been fair here .
I have no problems using the PM system if anybody wants to contact me .

re-enactment group
Reichsmark

Post by Reichsmark »

Rosselsprung wrote:Guten tag!
Re Salute...the show DID previously grow, and had a German WW2 display last year,namely Battle Group South. However, BGS were not in attendance this year, so Im wondering who the Allies had to skirmish against?Redcoats, romans and american civil war just like the Kinsale show maybe...must say it was both hilarious and saddening there to see the Roman army locked in combat against German "Commandos" armed with martini henry carbines and break open shotguns at that particular event.
Hi Rosselsprung,
there is a fair bit written about thie Salute 2010 show, (with some pictures & Video) on other forums.
for example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 750&page=7

To answer your question, from what i've read, there were only a couple of WW1 Imperial re-enactors available for the ww2 battle, so some airsofters were drafted in, given a loan of imperial uniforms by an on site vendor , and blank firing weapons from an armourer! Not only did this sham make a mockery of serious re-enacting, it insults the intelligence of the fee paying public, and also raises some health & safetly, and legal issues! :evil:

I can't agree with the earlier posts about the couple of Imperial Germans either, from what i've seen, their impressions were very very far from Awesome! :roll:
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

MOD HEAD ON
Gent leave it out OK Martin is Back If you have problems sort it out by PM !and not in the open
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “European reenactment and events”