ID German Gas Mask ,PLEASE

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
sealawyer

ID German Gas Mask ,PLEASE

Post by sealawyer »

My WW!! gas mask has BMW 42, robin-egg blue, painted nozzel? Anyone know what this blue colored nozzel indcates? Filter is Auer FE NM, but no other markings. Should I assume filter is post war Bundeswehr? Many thanks! Paul
Peiper

Re: ID German Gas Mask ,PLEASE

Post by Peiper »

IMHO, ive seen a few gasmasks with blue fittings, i think it was the type of early anti rust
primer they used, camo and top colours were usually added afterwards.

Good luck, Pipes :wink:
sealawyer

Post by sealawyer »

Thanks, Pipes, but I think color has to be some sort indicator, or designation. Reason I say this, is that there's lots of paint worn, or chipped away, and the base nozzel metal appears to be aluminum/white metal casting of sort, with no evidence of rust, so a rust inhibitor would not be a necessity. Now, eye piece rims and nozzel locking ring all show rust, but none at all, to that exposed white metal nozzel. BTW, would you know if my filter stamped merely " Auer FE NM" (filter-nonmagetic), is wartime or post war? Thanks for your imput. Paul
sealawyer

Post by sealawyer »

Pipes, jus' an afterthought, but it might be that the robin-egg blue nozzel is indication that the mask is non magnetic, same as "FE NM" indicates the filter to be. This would make the selection easy if mask hangs in rack with others that ARE magnetic. Only my hunch, but good enough until I hear from another member that knows for certain. Stay well, Paul
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

sealawyer wrote:Pipes, jus' an afterthought, but it might be that the robin-egg blue nozzel is indication that the mask is non magnetic, same as "FE NM" indicates the filter to be. This would make the selection easy if mask hangs in rack with others that ARE magnetic. Only my hunch, but good enough until I hear from another member that knows for certain. Stay well, Paul
No probs, just going on what ive seen, i have a couple of orig ones myself all dated etc but on one there is clear
evidence of the blue primer grinning through the metal fittings underneath the yellow top coating, and not just on the
nozzle either but also on the eyepieces ???

As for stampings on the filter i believe these to be where the filter was made also some were coded/designated for use in
Africa and had some sort of inbuilt dust filter, all this is going from memory as i haven't the ref books to hand, a good book
which explains all this is the "Deutchen Soldaten" book which has a section on gasmasks/tins etc, i have recommended this
book before some say it is just a beginners book but it has all the basic info!!

Good hunting, Pipes :wink:

Return to “Anything WWII!”