White Summer Tunic

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
BedsnHerts

White Summer Tunic

Post by BedsnHerts »

Does anyone have references as to what trousers would be worn with the M37 white cotton summer tunic?
Steiner

Re: White Summer Tunic

Post by Steiner »

In de Lagarde's "German Soldiers of World War Two", the model is wearing white HBT trousers also. I understand all the kit in that book is genuine.
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

They wouldn't be HBT mate - Introduced 27 June 1939 it was to be worn with white linen trousers and white shoes along with a white topped cap (Mollo - Uniforms of the SS Vol 1 page 12) It could be worn between 1 April and 30 September and the only insignia to be worn on it were shoulder cords, collar patches and an armband.

There is however a picture in BLD's book German Uniforms of the Third Reich of a SS Leader wearing Black Breeches and high boots and carrying a sword (Fig 48) and he is described as a Guard Officer....... so two documented alternatives there.
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Hoffman Grink wrote:They wouldn't be HBT mate
Ah, possible translation error in the book, which describes the material as "herringbone weave cloth", although on closer inspection of the picture, the material does indeed look like linen.
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

I see.

There must have been different interpretations of what insignia to wear too. A google search shows up a portrait photo of a fellow with shoulder boards, chest eagle, no collar tabs and a regular colour peaked cap.

Blimmin' Germans.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

My referemce was for SS. I will look up Army at a more appropriate time of day :lol:
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Kameraden,

According to Brian L. Davis' book "German Army Uniforms and Insignia 1933-1945" (a standard reference that everyone should get) he states the following:

Weisser Rock für Offiziere, neuerer Vorschrift (Officers' New Style White Summer Tunic)

A new-style of Army Officer's White Summer Tunic was introduced by an order dated 9th July 1937 to be worn in the place of the Old Style Reichheer White Summer Tunic. There were no white trousers to be worn with this all white coat. The jacket was worn with officers' grey or field-grey trousers. The New Style Summer Tunic was intended to be worn by all ranks of officers including Generalfeldmarschall and Wehrmachtbeamten with officers' rank. The jacket could only be worn, weather permitting, from 1st April to 30th September each year. It was prescribed to be worn for the following reasons:
1. As a Walking-out Uniform.
2. As an ordinary Dress Uniform when worn in the Officers' Mess or Officers' Clubs, or for social family gatherings or garden parties.
3. At gymnastic, running and sports meetings within Germany and abroad, both for participating in the sports events and as a spectator.

Hope that helps you out.

Horrido!
PK
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Ah we're talking about two different tunics, obviously. In de Lagarde's book, the tunic and matching trousers are being worn by an Obergefreiter.
Heeresbergführer

Steiner wrote:Ah we're talking about two different tunics, obviously. In de Lagarde's book, the tunic and matching trousers are being worn by an Obergefreiter.

Steiner...you must be thinking of the white denim fatigue uniform or Heeres Drillichanzung which was a standard issue garment to all recruits on entering the German Army.
Kompanie Chef

Heeresbergführer

Here's a photo of the M 37 White Summer Tunic being worn with Feldgrau Riding Breeches and a Schirmmütze from De Quesada's book "Uniforms of the German Soldier"

Kompanie Chef

Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Heeresbergführer wrote:
Steiner wrote:Ah we're talking about two different tunics, obviously. In de Lagarde's book, the tunic and matching trousers are being worn by an Obergefreiter.

Steiner...you must be thinking of the white denim fatigue uniform or Heeres Drillichanzung which was a standard issue garment to all recruits on entering the German Army.
D'oh, you're right - sorry.
Heeresbergführer

Here's the Heeres Drillichanzung:

Kompanie Chef

BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

Very interesting. Thanks chaps.
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Now I see quite often that a metal breast eagle is worn, but the regular sewn on buillon type would also work right? What about collar tabs, in the example Heeresbergführer showed the collar tabs are worn but in most cases, besides Luftwaffe and SS, the collar tabs are not worn. Would these also be seen on the frontline at times in places such as Italy? For the Luftwaffe I have seen this, but in the Wehrmacht I'm not sure, I'm talking about in a trench or at a defensive position. Also, I'm thinking more mid-late war...but then I guess anything goes by that point...
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”