Film about re-enactors – a serious political issue

European discussion. Post events here too.
bov1313rf

Film about re-enactors – a serious political issue

Post by bov1313rf »

Film about re-enactors – a serious political issue between Slovenia and Italy

Dear all, we finally have a trailer of famous ''Battle for Trieste'' short movie with English subtitles. This 26 min long movie had become an political issue between Slovenia and Italy, and Italian Minister for Foreign affairs demands that film should not be shown in public….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pV_XKO4r0

But it’s a funny story. Last year we had found a young student of Film academy, who made the last year battle at Vojsko movie for us; (one of last years’ post). Then he asked as a for a favour, if we would work with him, as for his final exam on academy he wanted to make a short movie about reenactment group. Of course we were glad to support him. So, he made a short movie, where our group had a main role, together with few well-known Slovenian actors (partisan commander Franz, his wife and police chief). After a trailer was posted on youtube, an avalanche started. A great revolt was in Italy, minister himself demanded that film should not be shown, as it’s bringing up Slovenian request that city of Trieste (before WW1 a part of Austrian empire, in WW2 liberated by partisan troops but in 1947 become a part of Italy).

I must admit, trailer is very ‘’carefully’’ put together. Film in fact is very funny. Franz, a chief of partisan re-enactment group is preparing battle for Triest every year and his wife is far from being happy about. But problem arise, when US president Barrack Obama is coming to Slovenia and local police chief, a friend of Franz, had to stop this fighting because of security reasons. In the mid of battle with Germans, police intervene and tried to stop the battle. Dialogs are very nice… I hope the whole film will be subtitled to English.

However, because of Italian political pressure film become very popular. Usually, films for exams at Academy have normally audience about 20 – 30 people; friend and relatives. But this one had more than 250.000 (shown in theatres all around and on national TV); which is 12% of total Slovenian population. After film was shown, all Italian politicians were quite embarrassed, as movie is something completely else than they expected…

On premiere some prominent Italian politicians were invited but all of them had declined. Five days before premiere Slovene president wanted to attend as well, but partisan commandant Franz, who was in charge as well for premiere, said: ‘’ Sorry, Sir, Mr. President, we are sold out….You can attend one of later shows after a week, as whole week is already sold out’’. But of course all of us were there. And a party and afterparty were magnificent (it lasted almost two days).

And now film is one of 5 films which are nominated for Student Academy award (Oscar) and will be shown in Hollywood. My group is proud to be part of it; who knows, we might be asked to come to Hollywood as well and…….
les hearn

Re: Film about re-enactors – a serious political issue

Post by les hearn »

wow nice one guys well done

and well done to the cast
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

I enjoyed the trailer!

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

Gren Broich likes this. 8)
PROUD MEMBER OF THE ALL SINGING,ALL MARCHING S.B.G.
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

I enjoyed the trailer and would like to view the full film, well done :D
bov1313rf

Post by bov1313rf »

Hello Wili;
the full movie is not subtitlet yet, but here are parts of it; something you'll understand without words.

anyway, some hints; partisan commandant Franz is showing his cap to everybody, saying: ''Do you see this cap? This cap was...'' But whoever is listing is interupting him: ''Yes, this cap was give to you from your father on your firts school day. And father said, these things must never be forgotten.'' When Franz asking his 2nd in command suspiciously. ''How do you know it ?'', the answer is ''It's well known''
His wife was no in vafor of Franz games and answer: ''But you father didn't mean that you should assemble the whole army and play like 5 years child ''.
When Franz is telling cap story to his friend Chief of police, hi says: ''Yes, I know, cap was given to you.... but I can lost my job because of your games. You have to stop the fighting !''. Etc.

Franz has to work on his farm, supervised by his wife; and while cleaning horse shit, he said: ''At the end we'll lost Trieste because of this shit''

Franz is as well imitating Tito, listening his recorded speeches (he's excelent, almost the same voice as reat Tito), but after original speach Franz add: ''But, comrades, I have to admit that concerning Trieste, I've made a historical error. ''
ETC. I hope one day the whole movie will be subtittled in English.

1st part (1/3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtRXtqtZ ... re=related
2nd part (2/3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXyZuq_Yuxs&NR=1
3rd part (3/3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtQkbv8Iz9E
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

excellent work gents ! :wink:
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

Hello Wili;
the full movie is not subtitlet yet, but here are parts of it; something you'll understand without words.
Thanks Bov for posting the film links, I watched part of it already and will sit down with my wife later
and study it properly........ first feelings, it will be a classic :D

Dont worry about it being in a foreign language, I have been confronted with foreign languages for years :wink:

Cheers, Willi.
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

I have seen the film now, very entertaining and I like the part where Franc´s daughter rides by on
the horse and takes up the flag and gallops to the hill, very patriotic :D

When the words go up at the end of the film, Franc is in bed with his wife Marija and they both say something,
could you tell me what they said.......... it was something about Istra and Trst.
Perhaps he said "next time the whole of Istra" :lol:

Cheers, Willi.
KZD-Triglav

Post by KZD-Triglav »

Willi Klapptisch wrote:When the words go up at the end of the film, Franc is in bed with his wife Marija and they both say something,
could you tell me what they said.......... it was something about Istra and Trst.
Perhaps he said "next time the whole of Istra" :lol:
You're right. Wife is satisfied, because they finally liberated Trst (Triest) and asked Franz, if he was too. He replied: "Well, now it's Istra's (Istria) turn".
And that's another political issue nowadays, but Žiga didn't know it's going to be when he wrote the screenplay and it makes the ending even funnier.:-)

And Willi, you are right, the scene about the daughter capturing the flag and riding with it in the "sunset", well, it's eye watering.... The daughter got the point of national liberation effort of ww2 and "digs" her father...
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

My eyes were watering in that scene too!

It has become my favorite short film :D
KZD-Triglav

Post by KZD-Triglav »

Low res all-in-one Trst je naš!
[url=ed2k://|file|Trst%20je%20na%C5%A1.avi|367136768|EA178A6D6361F62E148EC7745E174052|/]Trst je naš.avi ed2k[/url]
Sorry, no English subtitles yet, although there is a version with Italian and English subtitles for showing in Trst (Triest) and movie festivals in Europe....
KZD-Triglav

Post by KZD-Triglav »

"We" missed the Academy award: http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleas ... 0517a.html . What a pitty:-(
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

KZD-Triglav wrote:"We" missed the Academy award: http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleas ... 0517a.html . What a pitty:-(

Well, I voted for you, it is a real short film classic :D

Return to “European reenactment and events”