k98 sling

Moderator: berlin1945

dutch2770

k98 sling

Post by dutch2770 »

Any recommendations on how to age a new K98 sling. Ive had someone suggest soaking it in motor oil but that doesnt seem to safe to me.
gurowski

Re: k98 sling

Post by gurowski »

dutch2770 wrote:Any recommendations on how to age a new K98 sling. Ive had someone suggest soaking it in motor oil but that doesnt seem to safe to me.
Why would you want to age a sling? If you are reenacting WW2, then the sling would be new issue wouldn't it.
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I suggest you buy some 'hide' food and rub it in the leather,its not "ageing",but it will preserve the leather as well as softning and make it supple.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

I also got one of those dark brown repro slings, the brown coloring is starting to crack at the places where it's been bent.
is there a way to remedy this with an actual leather protection product?
or to make it less stiff?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Ledderfett works well
ImageImageImageImageImage
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Yes, leather grease etc. work well on dry leather. You should always use it with your leather things, makes them last longer.
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

we used to use a product called Ko cho line for all our leather stuff, works great for keeping leather in good nick....it will however darken any lighter tan leathers. you can get it from any good saddlers or from ebay
Never Surrender. Your Honour lies in victory or death
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

PanzerMart wrote:we used to use a product called Ko cho line for all our leather stuff, works great for keeping leather in good nick....it will however darken any lighter tan leathers. you can get it from any good saddlers or from ebay
ko-cho-line is reeeeeeeallly good at preserving leather work. I have an original map case that was starting to crack etc, I rubbed several courses in over a period of two months and havent touched it since. I Opened the draw about 2 weeks ago and it was in perfect nick with no deteriation other than what had already occured before preservation.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

this exact can?

does it do anything about repairing cracks or is that even possible?
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

42gunner wrote:this exact can?

does it do anything about repairing cracks or is that even possible?
Thats the stuff and no you cant repair cracks in leather it will however prevent the cracks from getting bigger or tearing.
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

Im saying that because there are 2 creases in the sling (1 from the forward sling mount and 1 from the buttstock hole) There are more cracks at points where its bent and if it that was put under strain...it might start breaking down the road.

I use it to steady my left hand when shooting long range, so it needs to be tight.
This is my first time working with leather (I usually use the modern nylon stuff) and I was afraid leather might break on me one day.

leather is pretty nostalgic for military equipment and Im sure the old guys swore by it...I just wanna know it's limits.
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

pop some of that grease on the sling you'll be ok providing you dont use the sling like something from diehard or mission impossible it should last fine.

If you do ever get a cut in it grab a leather hole punch and pop the smallest diamter hole at each end of the cut stops it tearing
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Sounds like you need a new sling. Leather is good if you look after it. The moment you stop looking after it...it doesnt look after you.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

Gott Mit Uns wrote:Sounds like you need a new sling. Leather is good if you look after it. The moment you stop looking after it...it doesnt look after you.
The cracks are microscopic, I just dont want them to grow through wear and tear. Or for the sling to go weak at those points, 2-3 years down the line.
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

2-3 years downline? Who cares? Its only like £8 for a new one. Its just one of those things. That being said, mines been going strong for 2 years - but its not like I use the weapon...(its deactivated).
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”