Overlord (Horndean) = 28th - 31st May. This is a 4 day event

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
mick.wilson

Overlord (Horndean) = 28th - 31st May. This is a 4 day event

Post by mick.wilson »

Hi Guys,
We now have a section 5 weapons man making his first appearance at our Horndean battle (3 days of battle), he has given us a good price on weapons but needs to know in advance what you want to hire, this is his list.
He don't have large numbers of weapons so its first come first served, so book now to avoid disappointment.

http://www.solentoverlord.co.uk/show.html

Last edited by mick.wilson on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.514th.co.uk

514th Q.M T.C We deliver everything, except babies

As a former Quartermaster put it
"without fuel, a tank is a 65-ton paperweight."
Hans Gowert

Re: Overlord (Horndean) = 28th - 31st May. This is a 4 day event

Post by Hans Gowert »

£46 hundred for 7.62 nato ?

having a laugh aint he ?
mick.wilson

Post by mick.wilson »

:lol:

gurowski

Post by gurowski »

Hans Gowert wrote:£46 hundred for 7.62 nato ?

having a laugh aint he ?
blank ammo is going to go way up in price because of availability issues.
You might look back at these prices in a year or so and think its the beginning of the end with regards to firing blanks at reenacting events
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

7.62 is £30 a hundred at the mo (gone up £5 from last year ) and will be for the next year. This guy is actually , alot more expensive then oxlade on alot of his items.

Sorry to spam the thread with shite as usual mick, but WOOOOOWSAAAA!
mick.wilson

Post by mick.wilson »

Hans Gowert wrote: This guy is actually , alot more expensive then oxlade on alot of his items.
Do you think so, I thought it was ok for prices :? (not that I ever hire weapons, I use top venters and gas firing weapons), I know he said he don’t mind people using there own ammo, I guess that’s why he put the calibre of each weapon on the list. Sorry if you think it’s a bit heavy on the price, I thought it would be good to have the opportunity to get a blank firer at Horndean if people want one, don’t normally get a section 5 man down there.

Saying that I got a load of 9mm Winmag the other day at £45 for 100 :shock: , so depending on what 9mm he has I will get some of his 9mm for £23 for 100

Mick

Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Prices are same as Kranks... rounded up a few pence to cover shipping. He isn't making a profit on ammo sales, just the weapons hires. Buy your own ammo somewhere else if you want, it really isn't an issue.

Note the MG42s are still in 7.92 calibre.... now that will sound awesome! :mrgreen:

Also - these are quality weapons, virtually new in some cases and not the tired old dogs that other dealers have been renting out for years... believe me!
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

mick.wilson wrote:
Hans Gowert wrote: This guy is actually , alot more expensive then oxlade on alot of his items.
Do you think so, I thought it was ok for prices :? (not that I ever hire weapons, I use top venters and gas firing weapons), I know he said he don’t mind people using there own ammo, I guess that’s why he put the calibre of each weapon on the list. Sorry if you think it’s a bit heavy on the price, I thought it would be good to have the opportunity to get a blank firer at Horndean if people want one, don’t normally get a section 5 man down there.

Saying that I got a load of 9mm Winmag the other day at £45 for 100 :shock: , so depending on what 9mm he has I will get some of his 9mm for £23 for 100

Mick

The ammo would be red tip for that price, Winimag has always been rather expensive , or it could be something else
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

so what paperwork has this guy got ? what paperwork do you need to hire a weapon ? There isnt any instructions mick to follow, what you need to bring.

Mick, i know you said its would be nice to get a section 5 down there , but i cant believe orginisers are still expecting reenactors to pay for a weapon to put on a show for the orginiser FOR the public ? might aswell have MUG tattood on your head.

Spose, its all about popping of the rounds in this hobby isnt it ? The more people cotton onto the idea of saying 'not on my wallet' , the sooner the orginiser will realise ...
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Tom, contact History in the Making (details in Mick's post) and all will be explained... it's pretty much as we are all used to from Vickers and Oxlade etc.

As to the principle of reenactors paying for their own weapons, well that is hardly new is it? All the shows that have battles for the public like Belters and Detling etc expect reenactors to either hire or bring their own. Some will stump up some subsidies for participating groups to have an MG42 or ammo allocation for example but that's about it. It would be nice for organisers to pay for it all but I can't see that happening any time soon... :cry:

Bear in mind also that those unfortunate enough to be based in Hampshire cannot get Section 1 FAC for K98 or similar as it is the stated aim of the Chief Constable there not to allow any Section 1 weapons in the county at all! Now in my book the law should not be capable of being interpreted so widely by different Police Authorities but the sad reality is that neither myself, or any other reenactor I know of resident in Hampshire has an FAC... so hiring remains the only option for both private and public battles (unless you possess a blank-firer of some sort). I'm not aware of any members of Darren's group (Green Devils) in Hampshire for example that have FACs but am open to correction on this? Have any Allied reenactors managed it?
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
mick.wilson

Post by mick.wilson »

Last year the organizers paid for most if not all the bangs and ammo, we only had our own weapons to play with last year but I don't think the show is big enough to supply the cost of weapons hire as well like at W&P... not yet anyway :wink:

Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Well I have to say well done Mick I think you have come up with a good deal.

Tom - i'm not having a pop at you chap but I can remember Dougie Preece selling 7.62 South African at £35 per hundred 10 years ago - the Waterman's were about the same.
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

Hans Gowert wrote:
mick.wilson wrote:

Mick

The ammo would be red tip for that price, Winimag has always been rather expensive , or it could be something else
Like PMP for example, which has been available to buy for years
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Whinge whinge whinge again....... Man up lads..... Shock horror re-enactors asked to put their hands in their pockets again!!!!

You are going to have to seriously rethink your approach to Section V over the next 12 months. One Section V has gone - One is still there but not at this time trading. One is still there and has revised his scale of charges. One is coming out of the shadows and we will have to wait and see how he pans out and this lad has entered the market.

Prices are what they are - If you want cheap ammo go to Kynoch and talk to Dave - see how much you have to buy in one hit to get a reasonable price!!!!!!! and then go lie down in a darkened room.........

I always seem to appear with my black robe, scythe and white horse but again I say to you all - "Times they are a changing".

Live with it.

For 12 years at one event I have provided arms and ammunition for all participants that needed them. Rifles, SMGs and MGs - and still people whinged and bitched! This year the armourer and the arrangements have changed and it's not my doing so I've made it plain from day 1 - not me - new broom - deal with it. I won't be whinged at and I won't take shit when there is no shit to take.... And I don't mean that in a nasty way - but either get a Section 1 and sort out (Steve - I seem to remember writing something similar to this ten years ago!) a bulk buy of blank for your group then distribute it or swallow it and pay the price of what's out there.

There is another alternative - Don't battle!!!!! SIMPLES!
carentan

Post by carentan »

Pug42 wrote:...so hiring remains the only option for both private and public battles (unless you possess a blank-firer of some sort). I'm not aware of any members of Darren's group (Green Devils) in Hampshire for example that have FACs but am open to correction on this?
No wishing to spam the thread about the event, but Yes a member from Leigh Park of all places has successfully applied for a FAC. It's certainly possible in Hampshire and the Portsmouth area.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!

Return to “UK reenactment and events”